Author Topic: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?  (Read 292199 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: What's Your Latest Walking Kit Purchase?
« Reply #1305 on: 17:48:00, 25/07/20 »
I agree that wasn't a good enough example, I should have thought it through more. How about my phone example, any better?  :)

shortwalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1306 on: 18:41:08, 25/07/20 »
I agree that wasn't a good enough example, I should have thought it through more. How about my phone example, any better?  :)

Yes and no. There are people who will chase the latest phone etc. although that is now waning, even Apple have had to admit that. The one product where changing to a newer model, does seem to be rising (pre pandemic) is cars, With more cars now being leased (rented) moving to a newer model is pretty painless.

But as far as walking is concerned there can't be many people that change gear just to have the latest model, can there?
Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic.

Van Morrison

Little Foot

« Reply #1307 on: 22:44:12, 25/07/20 »
Bought a Trekology pillow. I expect I'll have to buy a second one when my son steals this one lol.

tomjackliam

« Reply #1308 on: 13:31:39, 26/07/20 »
Recently brought some Merrell Moab2 Hiking shoes ( but now questioning sizing )
A pair of Bear Grylls Trekking Poles ( dont that they will ever inspire to jump from a helicopter though )
Today another pair of walking socks.

Given my returned enthusiasm for walking as Arney once said I"ll be back "

Little Foot

« Reply #1309 on: 17:29:08, 26/07/20 »
Heard good things about those trekking poles.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1310 on: 18:15:00, 26/07/20 »
It doesn't happen to me often but I have seen and met some people who had gone out of their way to be both colour and brand coordinated, a bit like high fashion on the ski slopes. I certainly remember meeting a 'Rab' person on the C2C a while ago and I once met a 'Patagonia' man as well. They certainly looked good.

Lee R

« Reply #1311 on: 11:49:41, 27/07/20 »
It doesn't happen to me often but I have seen and met some people who had gone out of their way to be both colour and brand coordinated, a bit like high fashion on the ski slopes. I certainly remember meeting a 'Rab' person on the C2C a while ago and I once met a 'Patagonia' man as well. They certainly looked good.

I do have a winter OEX baselayer, an OEX woolly hat (one of many woolly hats should I add) & I did have an OEX jacket which has now been demoted. That was more out of coincidence though than actual decisions.

tomjackliam

« Reply #1312 on: 12:02:52, 27/07/20 »
Thats great to read LF as I only brought these particular ones as they were reduced in price. Still a got all the gear etc newbie.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1313 on: 17:36:34, 27/07/20 »

Fashion is very important when out walking in the SW.  We have a fine following for down here for Man at Trago Mills.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1314 on: 17:59:02, 27/07/20 »
Thats great to read LF as I only brought these particular ones as they were reduced in price. Still a got all the gear etc newbie.

Fashion is very important when out walking in the SW.  We have a fine following for down here for Man at Trago Mills.
Mrs N and certainly make the effort to keep up appearances here in Devon.  We certainly would not wish to be taken for the one of the hoi polloi seasonal visitors  ;)

To that end we wear his and her Tilly hats in appropriate masculine and feminine shades, matching Craghoppers (all Craghopper shades match) and either Altberg boots, (Lady Fremington for her and a more manly Tethera for me) or, if conditions permit, Meindl Philadelpia shoes in brown.  We vary the top half a bit, I prefer a restrained Devonian check short sleeve shirt or a safari shirt whereas Mrs N will sport a gaily coloured T shirt or check blouse.  It is so important to maintain standards don't you think?
Solvitur Ambulando

SteamyTea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1315 on: 08:56:18, 28/07/20 »

Trago Mills, the finest store in the SW.
Not only do they want independence from Europe, they want it from the world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trago_Mills
I don't use emojis, irony is better, you decide

Lee R

« Reply #1316 on: 20:53:03, 30/07/20 »
Went to that Go Outdoors place today. Missus seen one of those little plastic step things in the catalogue & I caught sight of a Hi-Gear 65L backpack for £15!! I wasn't expecting much, I just thought it would be good for holiday in a few weeks carrying towels, blankets, tent shelter etc etc (there will be 4 of us) down to the beach & stuff. Now I don't obviously know how durable it is, but, it does feel surprisingly comfortable to wear all things considered!! I doubt it'll get much use, I mean 65L is a bit overkill for dayhikes even with camera gear, but I guess it hints that expensive might not always be better.

She also picked up some Karrimor mid boots. So I thought, if it looks like I'm buying her new boots, I may aswell buy some myself  ::) ;D

Little Foot

« Reply #1317 on: 11:43:37, 31/07/20 »
Not sure it counts as walking kit, but bought some little pots of jam for breakfasts when hiking. £1 for about 15 pots at B&M. Certainly beats the 50p each I paid at the last campsite.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1318 on: 11:56:15, 31/07/20 »
When I've been hiking and stop in a coffee and cake shop and they provide those lightweight little jam containers where you pull off the stuck-on closure I've often ask if I can buy a couple when I pay my bill. I've never been charged yet, they just hand them over to me for free.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1319 on: 14:07:18, 07/08/20 »
My new Merrell Cham 7 Slam (terrible name!) walking shoes have just been delivered.  :)

This is my third (or perhaps fourth?) pair of these shoes. I've settled on these as my perfect good weather shoes because they're extremely comfortable, have excellent support and, being non-waterproof and meshy, are cool in hot weather.

I thought they were only available in shades of grey, but Sports Direct had them in red. Woo hoo!  O0

Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy