Author Topic: Coast to Coast  (Read 23176 times)

M J B

Coast to Coast
« on: 18:24:51, 22/03/07 »
Hi,

I attempted the Pennine Way last year but my mates knee gave up by the time we got to Hebden Bridge so that was that. I would really love to do this again but the amount of time it will take i need to get special permission to take over two weeks off work. So...

I am now thinking of doing the C2C walk. Does anybody have any tips, or suggestions? Is there anyone looking to do it, as currently its just me.

Mark (im 26)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
Re: Coast to Coast
« Reply #1 on: 14:06:59, 26/03/07 »
Hi Mark

this site may be of interest, walkingforlife.piczo.com

I did the C2C last year, i think it is a brillant walk, if you let me know what info or advice, i will do my best to answer you.

Funny i have just started to try and get a new thread going on LDPs.

Cheers
Paul
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

M J B

« Reply #2 on: 21:01:36, 03/04/07 »
I am now looking at the 2nd of June and taking a tent!

Any camping spots you recommend would be good.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:02:53, 04/04/07 »
Hi, if its o.k with you i will write out a little route & stay guide for you.

you will have a great walk, the C2C is one of my favorites ;D

Thinking about doing the GR10, this year, just a few little points to iron out first.  :)

Snowman

« Reply #4 on: 10:49:14, 05/04/07 »
SZ - Lucky [censored]**r.    I'd love to have the time to to the whole GR10, you'll love it.   I've done bits but current family committments won't allow it now.

A couple of points of possible interest - you could still have snow if you go in June (I did) and late summer there's plenty of thunderstorms (I did), real serious ones not just a few lightning flashes, so make sure your gear is up to that.

Cheers, S.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 15:41:49, 05/04/07 »
At the moment i want the GR10 but my team want the GR20, so we having, lets say a disscussion over routes ;D

Snowman

« Reply #6 on: 13:54:49, 10/04/07 »
Perhaps a compromise might be the GR11?    It strikes me that the GR20 is the bagger's choice, i.e. because it's reckoned to be one of the hardest GR routes it has to be bagged.    If that's not the case, the GR11 is the harder of the GR10/11 choices so is probably more of a challenge (if one is needed).

For those who don't know what this is about or why the discussion is in this thread, the GR10 and 11 are 'Coast to Coast' walks, but cross the Iberian peninsular from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean through the Pyrenees.   The GR10 is mostly on the French side of the border while the GR11 is on the Spanish.   The latter is generally thought of as the harder as it tends to use the higher ridges.    The GR20 is a North/South traverse of Corsica.

S.

Emma

« Reply #7 on: 16:46:45, 10/04/07 »
Thanks for clearing that up snowman - i was reading it yesterday and it was like a foreign language!!!! The c2c made sense but then i got confused (probably doesn't take much!)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:56:57, 10/04/07 »
I'm with you, Emma ..

All this talk of "GR" made me think that Snowman was really angry at Summitzero for something.

I mean, I'm considering (idly at the mo) doing the C2C, and then along comes SZ with all his flashy talk, and that's it, I'm walking to the shops again  ;D

Only kidding SZ  ;)

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 01:32:20, 11/04/07 »
SM thank you for clearing that up and i am sorry to post without an explanation of the routes :-

MR B, hope you enjoyed your CW (Cleveland Way) i thought that was a really good section, did you get much sea fog ;D

Also where you tempted to walk a little bit past the North shore through the little stream and over, good place to camp on the top ;D

Emma, hello and sorry for the confussion ;)

Snowman

« Reply #10 on: 09:32:20, 11/04/07 »
GR - No anger here.

GR means 'Grand Randonee' or 'Gran Recorrido', and I suppose is used like we use LDP (Long Distance Path).    However the European ones are generally extremely long, like the SW Coast Path, and can only be done in one go if you have weeks to spare rather than days.

S.

Crag Rat

« Reply #11 on: 16:15:33, 12/04/07 »
I'm doing the C2C this August/September.  Can't wait!  Not as brave as you though MJB!  It's B&B's and inns all the way for me!  ;)
....because it's there....

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:58:24, 12/04/07 »
The C2C is a great walk, hope you enjoy it as much as i did ;D

Brian

« Reply #13 on: 14:10:46, 24/04/07 »

8 weeks today I should be approaching Shap on the C2C  ;D - looking forward to it and hope the weather is ok. Later in the year I plan to do either the South Downs Way and/or the Ridgeway Walk.

Brian

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:05:19, 24/04/07 »
Hi there, Brian, welcome to the boards.  ;)

Tis a shame yourself, MJB and Crag Rat couldn't meet up to do the Coast 2 Coast.  You're all like planning on doing it within a few weeks of each other.

Perhaps, I should give the prospect more serious thought  ???

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy