Author Topic: You know you’re a WALKER when…  (Read 4675 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: You know you’re a WALKER when…
« Reply #30 on: 12:23:09, 11/07/20 »
...which I've been working on recently of course.  ;) I'm loving it so far, although I'm only really interested in trail running or, as I think of it: walk-run-walk-run repeat. Very much the best of both worlds IMHO! 8)
  there is no best in running IMHO.  It is just a sign of poor time management - if you had set off sooner, you would not need to run  ;)   Alternatively, buy a bike and get there even quicker.  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 12:47:30, 11/07/20 »
Back on topic....

Dave’s list:
1. You can’t end a walk at 9.8 miles; it has to be 10.
I used to do this but after forgetting to switch my track recording off at the end of a walk once and discovering that I’d done an extra 0.25 miles just by my GPS sitting on the arm of my sofa for half an hour, I’ve stopped.

2. You have a drawer dedicated solely to walking gear.
Drawer? Walk in wardrobe more like!  And still my walking stuff escapes round the rest of the house.

3. You can convert a range of distances without a calculator.
Oh dear.  Nope.  Well I guess, very crude conversions as in 5km is about 3 miles but that’s about it.

4. Sunday mornings are earlier than Monday mornings.
I seem to wake up at roughly the same time every morning.  I guess “getting up for work time” is ingrained into my body-clock.  Getting up at that time or earlier because I’m going for a walk is definitely easier though.

5. You know exactly where a mile from home is in every direction.
Yep. Got my Mile A Day For A Year project to thank for that.

Richard’s list:
1: when you start thinking about possible new routes whilst lying in bed at night
All the time.  Or re-walking the day’s walk in my head.

2: when you have a cupboard full of walking gear, and it spills over into the garage.
Yep, as above.

3: when your partner starts grumbling about the amount of gear that you have - "Do you really need that 4th tent/rucksack/whatever?"
N/a.

4: when holidays have to have a walking related element to them.
Nowadays, always.

5: when you squeeze in a walk on business trips or family visits.
Yep.  Doesn’t matter if it’s only a couple of miles.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 13:00:02, 11/07/20 »
  there is no best in running IMHO.  It is just a sign of poor time management - if you had set off sooner, you would not need to run  ;)   Alternatively, buy a bike and get there even quicker.  ;)
Despite an opinion to the contrary  ;) , I was a serious cyclist for many years. It's true that a bike's speed can offer an advantage over running, but it's a real pain having to keep lifting it over fences and stiles, not to mention dragging it up the really steep bits.  8)
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 10:52:51, 12/07/20 »
When your nine year old grandson towards the end of a six mile walk sighs, 'I hate straight paths they go on too long' - then you feel proud he's a real walker.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #34 on: 08:41:48, 13/07/20 »
You know your a walker when the next morning after a big walk, your dog looks at you and his eyes say "no thanks dad, i'll pass today"
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 11:35:38, 13/07/20 »
You know your a walker when the next morning after a big walk, your dog looks at you and his eyes say "no thanks dad, i'll pass today"

My spaniel does that - it is almost as if she has developed arthritis when I call her to come out for a walk - she deserves an Oscar! But once out, she pulls like a train.

But I'm not her Dad  :D
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

cornwallcoastpathdweller

« Reply #36 on: 11:45:58, 13/07/20 »

My spaniel does that - it is almost as if she has developed arthritis when I call her to come out for a walk - she deserves an Oscar! But once out, she pulls like a train.

But I'm not her Dad  :D

Big legs on a Spangle, mines a small Jack Russell.  Keep up with a horse all day is the general rule for a fiesty terrier, mine couldnt keep up with a rocking horse after Saturday the poor thing. Very unusual for him to tell me he's beat but he was panting so vigourously i thought he was starting up some sort of dodgy phone business.

Need a bigger rucsac just incase he opts out at the halfway point next time.
one step then another then another then a bench - please?

Toxicbunny

« Reply #37 on: 16:24:51, 13/07/20 »
I think you know when your a walker when your idea of clothes shopping is millets , blacks or mountain warehouse rather than fashion brands.
I permanently wear walking gear as even when I'm not out doing a 15 miler I'm out twice a day doing 4 miles each time with the dogs. I've given up on fashion. I'm in Scarpa boots and gelert tops most the time. If its summer its my hiking sandals lol

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 20:39:42, 14/07/20 »
No it wouldn't.
Would you like to torque about this with some one.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 20:45:16, 14/07/20 »
Despite an opinion to the contrary  ;) , I was a serious cyclist for many years. It's true that a bike's speed can offer an advantage over running, but it's a real pain having to keep lifting it over fences and stiles, not to mention dragging it up the really steep bits.  8)

I use this argument when any one asks me why my old training bike is hanging on the garage wall. O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 21:05:44, 14/07/20 »
Would you like to torque about this with some one.
Still not close matelot!
Solvitur Ambulando

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 22:26:56, 14/07/20 »

I use this argument when any one asks me why my old training bike is hanging on the garage wall. O0

My bike is hanging on the garage wall too. I just can't bring myself to admit I won't be using it again.  :(

So here's a photo to remind myself of the good times we shared...  :)

Beth FF

« Reply #42 on: 13:49:10, 23/07/20 »
My list is:
1. You know you're a walker when you walk just for the fun of it. That's it, as simple as that  :-\ 

I don't care if my distances don't end on a nice neat number

I have lots of kit that I've accumulated over the years but that goes with all my other clothes and shoes. All socks go together, all tops go together, etc

I can't convert a range of distances without a calculator

I usually get up at pretty much the same time every day regardless of whether I'm going walking or not

I don't have places or Munros I need to tick off a list, and I don't like my walks to be too challenging (sod going up hills if I can avoid them, I stick rigidly to lowland areas)

Yet I've clocked up 1000s of miles, walked most of the coastline of Britain, full-time, solo, and mainly unsupported, plus 100s of miles of inland paths. I suppose that makes me a "walker"!?

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 14:54:08, 23/07/20 »

1. You can’t end a walk at 9.8 miles; it has to be 10.

I don't recognise this. I usually have a target for the day, around which point I start to look for an appropriate camp spot. That can be slightly before, but preferably somewhat past my original target.

2. You have a drawer dedicated solely to walking gear.

Many of my "normal" clothes are abandoned outdoor clothes that I don't find good enough anymore for the outdoors. Because let's face it, clothes for walking in town are a lot less critical for your survival. I don't have a dedicated drawer for walking gear. It's more that I have a small corner for the normal stuff. And most of my camping/ travel stuff is spread out on the floor of a bedroom that I don't use for easy overview and selection of the things I need :)

Yes, I can. Although being from Europe I tend to think in kilometers rather than miles.

4. Sunday mornings are earlier than Monday mornings.

I haven't worked for years, so for me there isn't really a distinction between days of the week, except when I need to pick up a resupply package from a post office or something.

5. You know exactly where a mile from home is in every direction.

This is true.

Richard’s list:
1: when you start thinking about possible new routes whilst lying in bed at night
Not really

2: when you have a cupboard full of walking gear, and it spills over into the garage.
It's already spread out over the floor in my 2nd bedroom

3: when your partner starts grumbling about the amount of gear that you have - "Do you really need that 4th tent/rucksack/whatever?"
N/a.

4: when holidays have to have a walking related element to them.
In the last 6 years, all my holidays were either birding or walking and preferably a combination of both (because it IS a great combination!)

5: when you squeeze in a walk on business trips or family visits.
N/A, but yes I would squeeze in a walk or some birding or both, on any trip I make

« Last Edit: 15:01:49, 23/07/20 by Birdman »
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 15:14:23, 23/07/20 »

Yes, I can. Although being from Europe I tend to think in kilometers rather than miles.

:) I'm from Europe too. I'm British!  ;)

I'm afraid I didn't express myself very clearly in the original post. I wanted to say that walkers don't need to convert certain distances because these are so familiar that we simply know the equivalents. I ought to have written 'selection' instead of 'range'.

With hindsight though, this would be more applicable to runners than to most walkers, because runners tend to focus far more on exact distances such as 5K, 10K, half-marathon and marathon, and are likely to be able to state those distances in either miles or kilometres without having to calculate anything.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy