Author Topic: Another tick illness to be aware of  (Read 1119 times)

Sonatine

Another tick illness to be aware of
« on: 06:05:53, 29/10/19 »

Details in this bbc article:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-50206382

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
Re: Another tick illness to be aware of
« Reply #1 on: 09:04:10, 29/10/19 »
Read about this in Europe - my doctor has a sign up in the waiting room.  I didn't realise it had reached UK.  However, risk still low.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:22:09, 29/10/19 »
Thank you. A generally informative article but at the same time it didn't describe exactly what tick-borne encephalitis virus is, other than saying it is "an infectious disease that can harm the brain".

I've had so many ticks on me in the past that I optimistically wonder if I'm immune to anything they carry.

I now use Smidge during my multiple-day walks in north Wales, it has been effective but at the end of my most recent trip I still found one on my inner thigh in spite of my precautions. The repellent only works for up to eight hours, so the creature must have found me when it needed reapplying. Being a small one it wasn't easy to remove (I use O'Tom Tick Twisters) and in fact there is still a faint red spot there five-and-a-half weeks later.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:36:45, 29/10/19 »
Not sure if I’ve written about this before but I now firmly believe I was bitten by a tick, probably 20 years ago.

Knowing what I know now about them, I think the (as described by my doctor) “unidentified insect bite” on my leg which had swollen up into a massive, red hot, itchy, bullseye lump, complete with 3 incisor marks was an infected tick bite.

I do wonder sometimes if that is the reason I wake up with random aches and pains for no reason.  Nowadays I can blame it on my age mindst, but back then…..

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:48:04, 20/11/19 »
Today there is news of another new species found in north-east Scotland:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/nov/20/potentially-deadly-tick-borne-parasite-found-in-uk

Pitboot

« Reply #5 on: 15:23:28, 20/11/19 »
Two infections recorded in the last 20 years! We're all going to die.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy