Author Topic: Wild Camp Back O'Skiddaw  (Read 4273 times)

karl h

• Veteran Member
Re: Wild Camp Back O'Skiddaw
« Reply #15 on: 22:06:20, 08/07/20 »
More on the Lingy Hut, if anyone is interested. The benches would sleep 4, I would guess. There is a stainless steel shelf for cooking on, a fire blanket, two candle holders and a poo shovel. I also spotted a pack of cards and a bottle of tabasco!

Quite tempted to stay the night sometime in the autumn - quite a view to wake up to!

It is quite cozy since it has been refurbished, although it's a little bit too well known and not far enough of the beaten track as demonstrated HERE

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 22:38:17, 08/07/20 »

It is quite cozy since it has been refurbished, although it's a little bit too well known and not far enough of the beaten track as demonstrated HERE

Hmm yes, it did look as if a lot of graffiti had been sandpapered off - but more has appeared. What is it with people?

..and if I go, it will be mid week late autumn or early winter, so I should avoid the crowds. I'll bring some sandpaper to keep me busy!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #17 on: 10:45:36, 09/07/20 »

I know that you would have camped responsibly, but please be aware that local byelaws exist on the Caldbeck and Uldale Commons which forbid wild camping.   

Lake District National Park are pretty strict on any form of overnight stays on the Commons, and the spot where you camped is just inside the restricted area.  I know this because I actually co-ordinate a group of LDNPA Volunteers who closely monitor activity on the Commons.  The Commoners themselves keep an eye out for anyone wild camping on the Commons and report them to us.

Just thought you'd like to know.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 10:57:40, 09/07/20 »
I know that you would have camped responsibly, but please be aware that local byelaws exist on the Caldbeck and Uldale Commons which forbid wild camping.   

Lake District National Park are pretty strict on any form of overnight stays on the Commons, and the spot where you camped is just inside the restricted area.  I know this because I actually co-ordinate a group of LDNPA Volunteers who closely monitor activity on the Commons.  The Commoners themselves keep an eye out for anyone wild camping on the Commons and report them to us.

Just thought you'd like to know.

Thank you - I will bear that in mind in future. Where can I find a map showing the boundaries?

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #19 on: 11:09:12, 09/07/20 »
@richardh1905

Here's a link to the Caldbeck Minerals Map: https://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/102557/min_collecting_map_caldbeck_uldale_mcp.pdf

If that link doesn't work, then try this one: https://www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/learning/geology/caldbeckminerals

Let me know if you need any more info.   

By the way.  A friend of mine is the MBA Maintenance Manager for Lingy Hut, so if anyone spots any problems at Lingy Hut, just mention it in a post and I'll let him know.   

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 11:18:05, 09/07/20 »
Let me know if you need any more info.   

Thank you - that was quick! As you say, most of Wiley Gill is within the boundary - I found a likely pitch just south of where the fence crosses the beck, not far upstream of but hidden from the footbridge, but ironically I rejected it, crossed the footbridge, went through the gate, and headed upstream as I wanted to find somewhere even more discreet!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 11:31:26, 09/07/20 »
By the way.  A friend of mine is the MBA Maintenance Manager for Lingy Hut, so if anyone spots any problems at Lingy Hut, just mention it in a post and I'll let him know.   

As you can see, the graffiti artists have been back. Not too much, mind you, and I didn't spot anything offensive.

PS - maybe the guy who did this left the bottle of Tabasco that I found there!
« Last Edit: 11:43:33, 09/07/20 by richardh1905 »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 18:43:45, 09/07/20 »
Great pics and report Richard, pleased you got out for a wild camp at last  O0

We have also unknowingly camped within that boundary but I don't think anyone knew we were there. We are just back from the Cheviots and hope to do a wild camp tomorrow weather permitting  :)
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 19:15:45, 09/07/20 »
Great pics and report Richard, pleased you got out for a wild camp at last  O0

We have also unknowingly camped within that boundary but I don't think anyone knew we were there. We are just back from the Cheviots and hope to do a wild camp tomorrow weather permitting  :)

Thanks April - it has been a long wait, and I regret not going for it over the winter, despite my old tent not really being up to the job. But no holding back now....already planning another camp, although I will take care to camp south of the Caldew.  ;)

I was in an utterly remote spot, no sign of a path up the Wiley Gill valley, and I was tucked away nicely below a steep slope beside the beck, in a small dull green tent. No chance of anyone spotting me!

Enjoy your camp. Thinking about Dunnerdale myself. Any photos from the Cheviot? :)
« Last Edit: 19:24:56, 09/07/20 by richardh1905 »

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 19:22:44, 09/07/20 »
I was in an utterly remote spot, no sign of a path up the Wiley Gill valley, and I was tucked away nicely below a steep slope beside the beck, in a small dull green tent. No chance of anyone spotting me!

I'm sure a lot of people wild camp in that area without anyone knowing anything about it  :)

Any photos from the Cheviot? :)

We were based at Barrowburn and I took 76 photos over 2 days from our 2 walks. I won't be posting them all but I won't have time to do a TR until next week  :) Enjoy your camp Richard  :)
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 19:29:04, 09/07/20 »
I'm sure a lot of people wild camp in that area without anyone knowing anything about it  :)

We were based at Barrowburn and I took 76 photos over 2 days from our 2 walks. I won't be posting them all but I won't have time to do a TR until next week  :) Enjoy your camp Richard  :)

I'm sure that they do - but perhaps they are smart enough to keep it to themselves.
I'm sure that the TR will be worth the wait. :) 
Not planned anything yet, just daydreaming.....

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 20:10:15, 09/07/20 »
Thanks April - it has been a long wait, and I regret not going for it over the winter, despite my old tent not really being up to the job. But no holding back now....already planning another camp, although I will take care to camp south of the Caldew.  ;)

Enjoy your camp. Thinking about Dunnerdale myself. Any photos from the Cheviot? :)

You probably made the right call not doing too much in winter, it isn't just the end result (whether you keep your tent or it ends up blowing down the valley/broken) but the actual experience of having a good night in a bomber shelter.  Whilst there is always a place for an exciting night under the stars, usually you want to choose to do it rather than end up with nothing above your head!

Lovely trip report and share your fondness for that part of the world, the meandering little road up the valley which sets you up for a gentle pull up to the hut always makes me by the time I'm at the top and see the fells opening out.  Particularly when you find such a remote spot to camp you've got it entirely to yourself.

Shall be out tomorrow myself for a WC, decided to do a horse shoe from Raven Crag down to Pillar then back around to Braithwaite, so fingers crossed the weather keeps stable.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 21:57:34, 09/07/20 »
Thanks fmop, enjoy your trip. I've much more confidence in my new tent; the old one is relegated to 'boot of the car' duty.

snoopdawg

« Reply #28 on: 12:36:27, 10/07/20 »
Excellent trip and write up. Love Gt Calva, to me it has an appearance of a Cairngorm hill when viewed from Skiddaw house

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 17:33:24, 10/07/20 »
Thanks snoopdawg - it was an excellent trip.  :)

Yes, Great Calva looks quite impressive from the south, a wild heather clad cone. It looks good from further south too, poking up between Lonscale Fell and the western end of Blencathra. In fact, I can just spot the top of Great Calva through Dunmail Raise from the top of Hampsfell, near Grange over Sands.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy