Author Topic: Ch4 Offas dyke  (Read 1480 times)

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
Ch4 Offas dyke
« on: 18:11:46, 30/09/17 »
7pm tonight on channel 4, Ancient Tracks with Tony Robinson is on Offas Dyke.  Although how much of the path he will walk remains to be seen.  When we watched the one he did on C2C it beared little resemblance to what we walked! 

John Walker

Re: Ch4 Offas dyke
« Reply #1 on: 12:20:34, 01/10/17 »
I just watched it. At least it was better than the C2C programme, in my view.  It only covered the Chepstow to Welshpool section (and I don't suppose Tony R actually walked all of that?). There was quite a lot of Arthurian mumbo-jumbo and St. George and the dragon (desperately trying to work up a theme about 'liminal' walks and identity).  Still. lots of the photography was good.   For me it was worth it, as I've been suggesting Offa's Dyke as a LDW project for some time and finally, having watched the programme, my partner says she likes the look of the walk, can't wait to start.  That's success in my book  ;)
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:00:39, 01/10/17 »
Yes I'm inspired by the views penciled in for spring 2019.
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:49:46, 02/10/17 »
I haven't watched it yet as we were out Saturday night.

We walked it in 12 days earlier this year N to S.  It is a lovely walk but hillier than you might think.  I wonder if it was filmed this year or last. I understand he went to the Hay festival which was on while we were walking, but I guess he had stopped by the time we got that far south.  I certainly don't recall passing Tony Robinson anyway!

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:45:37, 02/10/17 »
Looks like there maybe a good selection of hostels and bunk barns enroute. I'm bitten by the bug now I've got the Coast to Coast and Cleveland Way under my belt, planning the Cumbria Way 2018..
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:12:01, 06/10/17 »
Just don't get caught out like many do. Be prepared for some steep climbs, it's hilly!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:18:32, 07/10/17 »
I like the Cumbria Way! I've stopped looking at these type of walking programmes, I tend to find that they are rather boring. They suggest they will be making a programme about the hike and then spend loads of time talking to locals, etc. Mind you 'Wild China' is on the TV again tonight, very watchable!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy