Author Topic: Absolute no idea about gear. What am I doing wrong?  (Read 4762 times)

speedbird1

Re: Absolute no idea about gear. What am I doing wrong?
« Reply #15 on: 10:54:40, 11/03/18 »
Thanks sussamb that was a fantastic article you linked to.

My view / expectation is now so different.

I am empowered to try out that thinking today.

speedbird1

« Reply #16 on: 11:00:10, 11/03/18 »
Big thanks to everyone who contributed to this question with answers. I bow to all your greater knowledge and thank you again.

Regards

Speedbird1

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:15:43, 11/03/18 »
Thank you April! Mine too doubles as a windproof. I have insulated jackets that are windproof but there are times when I would be too hot in one, so I put my waterproof on instead.
I wanted to say this before, but so many posters were adamant a waterproof should only be worn when it is raining that I was frightened to stick my head above the parapet.

Actually that's a fair point, and it may be occasionally I use my 'waterproof' if the wind is cutting through my fleece  O0
Where there's a will ...

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:05:46, 11/03/18 »
I am empowered to try out that thinking today.

:o  you're going to walk wearing nothing but an umbrella?  :o   :D

RogerA

« Reply #19 on: 16:03:34, 19/03/18 »
This is going to make me sound stupid but I never thought about carrying a backpack for ages after I started walking - why would I - I didnt have anything to carry except a water bottle?
When I got hot I found I was taking layers off and carrying them around for miles.
A small pack - even if empty when you set out - makes it far easier to swap layers around and carry the unneeded ones.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 16:49:54, 19/03/18 »
This is going to make me sound stupid but I never thought about carrying a backpack for ages after I started walking - why would I - I didnt have anything to carry except a water bottle?
When I got hot I found I was taking layers off and carrying them around for miles.
A small pack - even if empty when you set out - makes it far easier to swap layers around and carry the unneeded ones.

Mrs N works on the same principle, she never wears a back pack as a rule - but she doesn't mind if I do  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

Rajboy

« Reply #21 on: 21:41:51, 24/03/18 »
Waterproofs in the Pack and only allowed out  :( when the heavens open or the DWR just abrades and it won't be waterproof for long.. ::)
Layer up with breathable base layer and Microfleece one choice. When temps drop throw on a Synthetic layer.....good in the damp UK.
Check out much lighter weight waterproofs/shells.....

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 14:00:58, 26/03/18 »
Waterproofs in the Pack and only allowed out  :( when the heavens open

My waterproof doubles up as my windproof layer. So do you carry an extra jacket or windproof top? I'm certainly not going to take an extra jacket or top as a windproof layer when my waterproof does the same job. If I am feeling cold I wear my waterproof even if its not raining. It saves having to carry that unnecessary extra weight of a waterproof in my pack. My current waterproof has lasted a year and a half now and is still waterproof. I also use my waterproof trousers as an extra warmth layer, even if it isn't raining.
Hate will never win

Lakeland Lorry

« Reply #23 on: 15:54:06, 26/03/18 »
Ditto what April says above.    :) :) :)

Also, just like Ninthace, I have different weights of 'waterproofs' depending on what time of year it is and what the weather is like.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:08:56, 26/03/18 »
...So do you carry an extra jacket or windproof top? ...

I know your question was directed at Rajboy but I have both a windproof "shirt" and a waterproof jacket.  If I wore my waterproof jacket I'd sweat like mad and feel clammy and uncomfortable, even with wicking layers between me and it.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 23:18:37, 26/03/18 »
Ditto what April says above.    :) :) :)
Ditto what LL says  ;D

I know your question was directed at Rajboy but I have both a windproof "shirt" and a waterproof jacket.  If I wore my waterproof jacket I'd sweat like mad and feel clammy and uncomfortable, even with wicking layers between me and it.
Ditto what  Mel says  ;D
But I have a paramo windproof
  :)

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

nesty

« Reply #26 on: 00:08:54, 27/03/18 »
That article is quite good.
Tho Paramo isn't waterproof, as I regard it. It's a moisture control system. It's waterproof to a degree, then some water will be let in after a while. I expect this, with these products. However, when the rain stops. I will dry out a lot quicker. Than event or goretex if that did leak.
I always try to dress to the weather. If I am wearing my Paramo jacket and sun then comes out. I remove it. I don't want to be sweating unnecessary and over working the pump liner.
There will be never be something 100% breathable and waterproof. Just a question how long the system lasts, before water, which we all know, always find a way!

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 12:29:17, 27/03/18 »

Beefy has a separate windproof, he hates wearing his waterproof for the same reason as yourself. I don't have that problem with condensation inside so I can use my waterproof as a windproof and not have to carry it in my pack. Like I wrote in my earlier post everyone is different and there is no right or wrong way, you do what is right for yourself. It is the same when it comes to what you take wild camping, some people like to go very minimalist and some like to take lots of gear, it is a personal choice.
Hate will never win

scottk

« Reply #28 on: 23:19:08, 27/03/18 »
I too have a separate wind proof.. At just over 100g you don't notice the weight and a waterproof for me is just too hot and I end up wet inside anyway. Currently looking for a new summer waterproof jacket- like the look of TNF hyperair gtx or the Alpkit Gravitas.

Rajboy

« Reply #29 on: 05:23:44, 28/03/18 »
Agree Mel. 8)
Agree to disagree, April.... ;D ;) ::) ....

Base layer plus light synthetic or Tee shirt plus micro fleece, as an example, depending season weather....breatheable and comfy. 150gm Windshirt if you know its going to stay dry.
Depends the weight of the Waterproof carried.
E.G. latest versions such as Berghaus Vapourlite Hyperlite Smocks/jackets are only 200gms
OMM Aether Event around 200gms.
Packs up really small....barely noticeable.
These products aren't cheap but provide you with the flexibility of several layers to choose from in changing weather conditions throughout the day without extra weight penalty
Rather this than be boiling hot and sweating one minute, then freezing the next, but only one jacket... ::) ...to choose from
and the Waterproof will last twice as long as the DWR 'aint getting abraded by constant rubbing by the backpack....whoops....

On longer backpacking  trips over several weeks, the 200gm waterproof shell sometimes only worn twice and maybe only for short periods of time, but it stays new and doesn't have to be renewed so often....justifies purchasing a more expensive, lightweight, higher spec version.
But it has to be in the Pack, just in case..
I love a good chat... :)
Good job we are all different. Life would be boring, otherwise.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy