Author Topic: Women hiking alone.  (Read 5844 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Women hiking alone.
« Reply #45 on: 12:00:45, 27/10/18 »
When I was 20-ish I went to all sorts of dodgy places and sometimes found my self in bad situations, like the time I got a broken nose and two black eyes from one punch by a drunk squaddie on leave, or when I had a gun held to my head (it turned out to be a starting pistol; you can read about it in "The Who: I Was There").

So I bought a small book on judo and taught myself a few moves. This helped make me very much more self-confident; there was an occasion in the bar on Eel Pie Island where much to the amazement of my friends I calmly stepped in between two guys fighting, to help up a girl who had been knocked off her chair.

Now to the slender relevance of this post: I was relating my new skills to one of the girls in the group I knocked about with, and she was keen to try it. She was nearly as tall as me and well-built, not overweight but big. I showed her how to hold the collar and arm, and twist around, to which she said, "Like this?" and I found myself somersaulting through the air and landing on my back on the pavement. My point is, it can do no harm to learn a bit of self defence.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 12:50:29, 27/10/18 »
....................there was an occasion in the bar on Eel Pie Island ……………………….

I remember Eel Pie Island; was still in my teens and in retrospect I'm surprised I survived :o 

In comparison an unaccompanied walk in the country is a walk in the park  :)
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 18:56:04, 30/10/18 »
You're making a stained-glass window Mel?

Not quite.  A piece of artwork to be hung on a wall  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy