Author Topic: Dent/Ingleton transport links  (Read 6937 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Dent/Ingleton transport links
« Reply #15 on: 16:00:21, 16/07/17 »
Thanks OldTramp.  I've made a note of Bentham Taxis.

mike knipe, aye, I can imagine it would be a nice walk along the Dales Way from Dent (village) to the station (and I'd certainly be glad of a rest on the train after walking up that hill  :D  ).  I plan on actively avoiding Upper Ribblesdale on a bank holiday which does limit transport a bit  :(

Peter

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 22:41:31, 16/07/17 »
Granted it would have been short notice, but I didn't the message anyway.
A little warning and transport would be no problem.

Public transport is hopeless here. I use the train from time to time, but I've only used a bus once. They are very infrequent, and usually only on certain days in the summer.

I know One F uses public transport, but suspect he spends a long time planning that as much as the actual walk. It's just easier to get in the car..
Peter
sometimes I fall off the learning curve....
Join: Yorkshire Dales Walking Buddies
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783012625307

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 14:29:41, 17/07/17 »
Although I love Dentdale to bits, and have visited there regularly for over 20 years, they could learn a thing or two about public transport networks from the likes of the Norfolk Coast, the Pembrokeshire Coast and even Shropshire about connecting/integrated services for hikers.

I think there is a lot of scope, currently unrealised, to massively improve the links, increase walkers and decrease traffic, but I fear it the cross-border nature of Yorkshire/Cumbria border that curtails wider thinking!  :D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 15:14:09, 17/07/17 »
TBH it is a bit more complicated than that. The bus services in the area are subsidised by the local authority. With pressure on budgets, these subsidies have been reduced to the point where the services are no longer viable. As a result, in some areas even the services used by kids to go school have been withdrawn. In other areas, there are only just enough funds to run a school bus but that is the only service that is available so it is just  there and back once a day and only during term times.
For example, where I lived, the nearest 6th form college was in Kendal, a good 45 min car drive away across the fells. The only bus service was withdrawn just a few weeks before the start of the winter term. Our only service to the supermarket at Barnard Castle went at 11:00 on Wednesday and returned at 15:00. We had a similar service to Hawes on Tuesdays. It was always the same old faces, pensioners using their bus passes. The service was run by Cumbria Classic Coaches and was only viable as a weekly service. Since I left the, "proper" service to Penrith, a 32 mile round trip, has been reduced from several times a day to Tuesday only.
Solvitur Ambulando

glovepuppet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 16:13:14, 17/07/17 »
TBH it is a bit more complicated than that. The bus services in the area are subsidised by the local authority. With pressure on budgets, these subsidies have been reduced to the point where the services are no longer viable.

I get what you are saying here, and for sure there is no magic wand.

But the other places I mentioned also have the same pressures regarding subsidies, sustainability and viability, and yet they make it work. Bus services also seem to run quite well in other areas of the Dales and the Lakes. So I think the reason why the transport doesn't work as well in the Dentdale area may also have something to do with mindset as much as practicality. Sedbergh is a nice town, but it is some way behind the likes of Hawes, Kirby Lonsdale and some other local towns in being properly geared up for tourists, and I think that extends to transport links too.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy