Author Topic: weardale way  (Read 3311 times)

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
weardale way
« on: 20:09:53, 01/01/08 »
This was the last of the Christmas walks. We had Steve, the leader, plus three voluntary rangers - Kathie (the boss), Brian and Me plus 35 walkers. We caught the 11:00 train from Wolsingham to Stanhope and then walked back to Wolsingham in the rain, an activity which may appear to some to be less than pointless, considering the weather. (i.e. not much of a view, getting wet, the joys of mud, becks in spate etc).
But we walked 7 and a bit miles in cheerful if slightly hysterical company. My pal Brian failed to turn up  having spent the night carousing in Allenheads (where they run about with flaming barrels on their heads on New Years Eve) and there was a distinct lack of wildlife. Maybe it had all had a good night. I did obtain various scrummy recipes for rabbit stew/pie and what to do with 3 pounds of venison, so maybe the animals had just been scared off.
We just followed bits of the Weardale Way and various other footpaths above and alongside the River Wear (which was in flood). Lots of mud and grey skies and a wet chest (bust me zip on my Paramo).  If you happen to be interested in geomorphology or the arcane study of lichens, this walk would have been just the  thing.  Very nice example of a linear moraine at one point, for instance.
My pal Brian turned up at about halfway, having decided he was much too inebriated to venture out in the morning - and sampled some of my special Jura scotch which I'd hip-flasked for any medical emergencies that might arise (yes, I know you're not supposed to drink alcohol when walking in winter..... no need to nag, it were only a nip. And very nice stuff it is too.... ) Good train, though.
Pint at the Black Bull afterwards.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
Re: weardale way
« Reply #1 on: 23:53:52, 01/01/08 »
Cracking weather you had there, Mike Nice write up as well.  We went around our local park today with the dog nothing special though as it got a graint prison near it.   Which is not a nice sight.  But at least it was a stroll
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy