Author Topic: ViewRanger and Compass Use  (Read 3914 times)

SectionHiker

ViewRanger and Compass Use
« on: 14:30:53, 29/03/19 »
Couple of questions about ViewRanger app for a guy who likes to use a map and compass, so he can see what he's walking over and not fall flat on his face..couldn't find answers anywhere.

1) How do you set (or even tell) whether the compass is pointing to magnetic north or true north?  

2) How do you read the bearing that the ViewRanger compass is pointing to, so you can transfer the bearing to your compass, or do you have to whip out your map and figure it out by hand?  

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: ViewRanger and Compass Use
« Reply #1 on: 15:54:43, 29/03/19 »
I believe it will only show magnetic north. You can also set up numerous data pages and have one field set to bearing.
Where there's a will ...

SectionHiker

« Reply #2 on: 17:09:17, 29/03/19 »
I believe it will only show magnetic north. You can also set up numerous data pages and have one field set to bearing.

Response from ViewRanger Support:

We use true north if it is available (i.e. the device has a GPS position), magnetic north if there is no GPS position.  
We don't offer a way to read the compass bearing, I will note that on our wish list.  
If following a route or navigating to a point, we do offer a bearing in the configurable values, to the target waypoint or POI. That bearing uses grid.  
---------------  
SectionHiker: Who uses the OS app? They have bearing printed at the bottom of the screen...seems a lot less complicated than View ranger.  

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:22:45, 29/03/19 »

Response from ViewRanger Support:

We use true north if it is available (i.e. the device has a GPS position), magnetic north if there is no GPS position.
We don't offer a way to read the compass bearing, I will note that on our wish list.
If following a route or navigating to a point, we do offer a bearing in the configurable values, to the target waypoint or POI. That bearing uses grid.
---------------
SectionHiker: Who uses the OS app? They have bearing printed at the bottom of the screen...seems a lot less complicated than View ranger.  
I use the OS app and like it. The thing I miss though compared to a dedicated gps is that when following a route it doesn`t track up..that is it doesn`t point the cursor (arrow) in the direction you are going. I think Viewranger does , but I may be wrong.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:23:00, 29/03/19 »
VR support is normally very good, didn't know about the switch from mag to true, which could be confusing if it keeps switching? As for the bearing that is definitely available via a data field as I explained  O0
Where there's a will ...

Litehiker

« Reply #5 on: 02:35:48, 30/03/19 »
Compass needles only point to magnetic north. Strangely, in our increasingly strange world, the north magnetic pole is rapidly moving west! This means the declination (angle between magnetic and true norths) is fast increasing. Don't rely on 5 or 10 year old maps' declination markings.

In fact some scientists who study the earth's magnetic field say we could even see the earth's poles flip-flop in our lifetime! Not to worry (too much) B/C this flip has happened hundreds of times in the earth's history according to geologists.

Already there is a huge NORTH magnetic field drifting westward and about to go under the Patagonian area of South America. Reportedly this area has a much lower and thinner ozone layer that will result in a higher rate of skin cancer for South Americans in the area of the anomaly.

THE SKY IS FALLING! THE SKY IS FALLING! And it's all a damn Roosian plot.

Eric B.
« Last Edit: 02:39:23, 30/03/19 by Litehiker »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 02:59:21, 30/03/19 »
Meanwhile on our side of the globe N is going E https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2019/03/21/is-it-time-to-ditch-the-old-walkers-mnemonic-as-magnetic-north-migrates-east
And of course since opposite magnetic poles attract the N pole of a compass points south so the N pole is really a S pole which means all the polar bears are at the wrong end and my head hurts.
« Last Edit: 03:04:04, 30/03/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

Dread

« Reply #7 on: 11:38:13, 30/03/19 »
I use Viewranger pretty much exclusively these days. The maps are always set to true north which is fine by me as the app knows where I'm going, there's a great big arrow pointing in the right direction and it can beep at me if i go off track. I miss getting lost sometimes!

You can't transfer compass readings onto a real compass, I have a separate compass app but have never wanted to do that. It would be useful if battery was low I suppose. You can use the Skyline feature in VR to locate points to use for triangulation if you want to. Tbh I find that gps apps are so handy that once you start using them the map and compass become a rarely used backup.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:06:42, 30/03/19 »
ITbh I find that gps apps are so handy that once you start using them the map and compass become a rarely used backup.
I agree. I also use VR but also carry a Garmin Venture (Ancient but it is solid reliable) as my primary backup. I carry a paper map and compass in the depths of my knapsack and cannot remember using them. Sometimes overnight I have got one out because just sometimes I like to see the bigger picture.  The skyline feature is great but comes at battery cost I think.  I cover that with my battery pack and solar charger now. And the main reason I carry the Garmin is because I have been caught out on zero battery in my phone and it is my first line insurance. Belt, braces and a bit of string.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:03:53, 30/03/19 »
Ok, how do you get a compass on vr? I have it on my phone but only ever use it to comfirm my position. If I want anything more I generally use my Garmin but 99% the map is easier.

Dread

« Reply #10 on: 16:10:29, 30/03/19 »
If your phone has an internal compass then you go into the viewranger settings and tick show compass. It's only a little thing at the bottom of the screen for general reference.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 16:14:17, 30/03/19 »
You can add data pages, on those you can have a large compass icon and data fields, one of which can be bearing.
Where there's a will ...

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 16:26:01, 30/03/19 »
Still nothing showing so I guess my phone doesn't have an internal compass.

Dread

« Reply #13 on: 16:31:26, 30/03/19 »
Still nothing showing so I guess my phone doesn't have an internal compass.

A lot of phones don't. You won't get the full range of features without a compass. No direction arrows or Skyline.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 16:35:46, 30/03/19 »
I think the necessary gizmo for a compass is a geomagnetic sensor in the phone..there are four or five different types of sensors that phones can have inbuilt, but not all phones have them.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy