Author Topic: Have you noticed more walkers?  (Read 2227 times)

dittzzy

• Veteran Member
Have you noticed more walkers?
« on: 21:36:45, 14/06/20 »
Is it just me?
Everywhere I go, there are more people out than usual.  Today we took the long way up Whernside, and it was like a motorway.  Maybe not as bad as Snowden on a bank holiday, but certainly a lot of folk going up.
On one hand it sort of took away the lovely peacefulness we used to get when we are out.  On the other, it was nice to see so many families, children through to grandparents, and people who are not used to the hills, having a go.  (We could tell they were not usual hill walkers, not because they weren't fit or anything, but because they didn't seem to have checked out the route or know where they were, they were mostly following the fingerposts and the paths. We overheard the conversations as they all overtook us ;D ;D )
I've been out nearly every day on local walks too, and I keep meeting people!  On walks where there is never usually anyone there?   All the paths used to be barely there, now they are turning in wide, eroded, rocky, bare routes.
Anyone else seeing the same thing?  Thoughts? 

I have to admit I like it when there's no-one about.  Luckily for me, I live in the Dales then.  Usually it's pretty empty.   :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Have you noticed more walkers?
« Reply #1 on: 21:43:13, 14/06/20 »
I noticed masses of people out on Hampsfell in the south eastern Lakes during the first period of lockdown, but now that people are allowed to travel freely to exercise, there seem to be less people about.

Maybe they have all gone to Whernside!  :)
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:55:58, 14/06/20 »
I haven't noticed more walkers in my area. I've noticed a lot more people who park and just sit in their cars or bring chairs to sit by their cars. The walkers that I see are just regular dog walkers. Not many joggers either. What I have noticed though is a lot more cyclists, a lot more!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:58:19, 14/06/20 »
We noticed a few more walkers about throughout lockdown and they seem to have kept it up after the shut down was eased.  The biggest issue for us is the traffic in the lanes has got busier and some of the walks we were doing have become a riskier as a result.  The increase is not just local traffic, we seem to be growing tourists too (locals tend not to go flying about with roof boxes on).
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:58:49, 14/06/20 »
Most definitely. Several groups seen out on the moor today.  Many will be gym bunnies who have discovered the great out doors.  A little girl on dads shoulders coming down Brat tor made me smile.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:31:23, 14/06/20 »
I notice more during week days . It used to be that I could nearly always pick somewhere that would be nice and quiet of a weekday , but not any more. Very inconsiderate of them .  ;)

One good thing I hope comes of it is the footpaths may get new leases of life in some areas and when & if the UK can ever pay off its debts then maybe more money will be allocated to the upkeep of paths , stiles and the suchlike .  O0
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 06:47:26, 15/06/20 »
I notice more during week days . It used to be that I could nearly always pick somewhere that would be nice and quiet of a weekday , but not any more. Very inconsiderate of them .  ;)

Yep, me too  O0
Where there's a will ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 06:55:22, 15/06/20 »
Sorry. Can't sit here reading the forum, I'm off on a walk.

Steve984

« Reply #8 on: 08:36:35, 15/06/20 »
Yes, there have been families out there with pushchairs, people having picnics, people on bikes who obviously been on one for years, all very strange but you cant blame them for wanting to get out. I think things are slowly getting back to normal now though, I can go up on the South Downs way and feel like all's well with the world and have a totally normal summers day out. Heading out shortly..!

snaderson

« Reply #9 on: 08:56:52, 15/06/20 »
There does seem to be more people out there, but in my experience they're sticking to the obvious places. Yesterday there were lots of people on Parkhouse Hill (Peak District) and on the Monsal Trail, but pretty much nobody on the rest of the paths I walked. I've been carefully choosing routes that steer clear of the 'honey pots' but passed briefly through those two.

Toxicbunny

« Reply #10 on: 12:07:40, 15/06/20 »
I've noticed a lot more on North Yorkshire moors. Also inconsiderate car parking. Gribdale gate area yesterday was a joke cars parkedall over.  If there was an accident emergency services would not have got through. I suppose once furloughed workers are back it will change. 

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:11:57, 15/06/20 »
I haven't noticed more walkers in my area. I've noticed a lot more people who park and just sit in their cars or bring chairs to sit by their cars.
That must be a south coast thing. When I lived in Southampton, I often found the New Forest car parks had several sets of chairs next to the cars. Once I had walked a couple of hundred metres from the car, there would be nobody about.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 23:18:18, 15/06/20 »
They're a bit tougher than that around Dartmoor.  I passed a young couple carrying a Wicker picnic hamper and a couple fold up chairs near the top of 600ft climb a few weeks back. O0

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 11:58:42, 16/06/20 »
I havn't been able to comment walkers on proper walks, we are only just starting to sneak out too do some our local routes, sticking to mid week and going for those where I know little used parking spots.
The town fringe countryside though has been walked heavily by new users, the sneaky entry points of trespassing dog walkers are now heavily trod, and the peripheral urban trespass ways have been extended by bolder exploration, leading off the righteous way.

The heartening observation is the family groups seeking out real countryside and little if minimal crop damage only a greater intrusion into the areas of game preservation despite the residual privacy notices, that are completely unnecessary as these woods are miles away from where the release pens will be at the time the reared birds are mature enough to be put out come autumn.

One field has a well worn trod around it, I think this is primarily due to a mother accompanying her young teenage son for running practice/training. So much safer than pavements, when the runner has so often step out into traffic to avoid other users, with out have to break stride of pace.

So wish that the Great Outdoors Strategy Group members were out observing human behavior at this time, but when they reconvene I suppose they will be subjected to endless strategy initiatives dreamed up by overweight civil servants in the confines of their living rooms.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #14 on: 13:26:27, 16/06/20 »
We were out on Sunday walking from home in Hayfield below the Kinder Plateau. There were more people out than I've ever seen in this area. I counted 30 at the foot of William Clough. There was a constant stream of walkers going up and down Kinder Low End. In addition to the usual walkers, mountain bikers, there were horses. I'd say that the majority were below 40. Will there be a boom in walking as a result of the virus?
Dave

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy