Author Topic: C2C A1 Diversion at Catterick  (Read 5828 times)

Deolman

C2C A1 Diversion at Catterick
« on: 17:01:43, 01/05/18 »
Walked the C2C in 2016 when the A1 was being upgraded to motorway standard. The diversion at Catterick  is shown on the Wainwright Society website with a completion date of 30th April 2018 and the Highways Agency report that this final section of the A1 upgrade was completed on the 29th March 2018. Does anyone know if the original C2C footpath across the A1 has been reinstated or does it now follow a different route?

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: C2C A1 Diversion at Catterick
« Reply #1 on: 17:54:18, 01/05/18 »
Forum member Johhnyp is walking the C2C shortly and posted a similar enquiry, he says he'll be at that bit on May 16th so hopefully he'll let us know after he's passed that bit or finished.

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=36286.0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 23:10:23, 01/05/18 »
Cant see any updates from the last few days. Will keep my eyes open. Failing that will report what happens when I get there O0

Deolman

« Reply #3 on: 07:40:32, 02/05/18 »
Thanks for your replies and look forward to the update. All the best on the C2C johhnyp and trust the weather will be kind to you!

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:00:18, 07/05/18 »
Drove down the A1 last Thursday and it looked like no activity around Thornfield Farm ie the work is done?. Cant see anything online, so I will probably wander down that side of the river Wednesday week. Starting this Wednesday afternoon with a leisurely 6 days to Keld ( I have deliberately planned to only walk from Kirkby Stephen that day so I can spend the afternoon relaxing by the waterfalls rather than rushing past as per the last few years either on PWs or C2Cs - I love Keld). Then four days to RHB including quite a long last one (for me) from the Feversham Arms in Farndale to the Bay Hotel. In the event this is good as I have not had my boots on for 8 months in any capacity so have time to build the legs up. No heroics though; just the standard walk other than maybe cutting the corner via High Raise and down to Measand Beck.
Weather looks ok other than a bit of rain between Borrowdale and Shap (Friday and Saturday)
Five years since my last C2C so looking forward to it :)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:22:06, 07/05/18 »
The journey from the Feversham arms to where it rejoins the C2C path near the Lion In is a killer hill, you will be cursing it. But as you know, once you reach the Lion Inn it's reasonable easy going down to Glaisdale. Oh, and enjoy the hill out of Grosmont  :D :D
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:09:14, 07/05/18 »
Yea; so I am told Brian. Always fancied a wander down Farndale rather than pound out the railway track bed again. Doesn't look too bad on the map ;D. Still; having been reminded of the SWCP on another thread tonight I shall think about some of the climbs between Lulworth and Swanage and hopefully I will be at the Lion before I know it! May cut across country after the hill out of Grosmont in order to get to RHB in reasonable time

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:42:12, 09/05/18 »
Nice 2pm start thanks to the rail strike in Northern rail. Then a sprint through the baltic, soaking summer weather to low [censored] how. Summer is back with a vengeance O0

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:44:18, 12/05/18 »
It has been a fun c2c so far. Dry other than a few hours around Cleator...unusual for me! Very windy yesterday which was an interesting experience. Did Wythburn  (which was great...wet but not badly so) and then up high raise. Today was warm. Saw kidsty pike in sunlight for the first time in 5 trips but did the route via high raise, low raise and down measand end. This was a remarkable high route with great views. Managed to put some variety in it O0

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:44:01, 16/05/18 »
The diversion was not in place this morning. Normal.route used

Deolman

« Reply #10 on: 16:01:04, 16/05/18 »
The diversion was not in place this morning. Normal.route used

Thanks for the update - trust your walk is going well

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 21:53:17, 16/05/18 »
Thank you. Plodding on. At ingleby tonight. 2 days to go. Been hard going the last two days from keld. Hot weather and/or dry rutted ground. Glad when it' done now

Stebee

« Reply #12 on: 07:11:24, 17/05/18 »
Don’t worry about the trek up from Farndale...it’s finding the place I struggled with in 2010. Didn’t help being in thick mist but I spent an hour looking for the path down from the trail that the guide book said was there. Never found it even on OS when I got home.The signposted road down to the village after the Lion is the safer bet. Nice pub though once I got there - lovely landlady and the best pint of Black Sheep awaits...

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:42:18, 19/05/18 »
I managed to get lost in the Heather in the mist around there in 2012. Featureles in fog...amazing really given its lack of relative remoteness.
Was a nice place. Long hit haul to Rhb yesterday. That Hill is a pig

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 20:42:48, 19/05/18 »
Hot

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy