Author Topic: Wild camp near High Dodd Sat 15 to Sun 16 Jun 19  (Read 2265 times)

April

• Veteran Member
We got the bus to Patterdale on Saturday. We were hoping not to get too wet before we pitched the tent. It was raining when we got off the bus. Joy. We walked by Rooking then up on the higher path toward Silver Crag.

If this seat  is good enough for the future King and Queen it is good enough for Beefy!

William and Kate sat on this very seat a few days before this photo was taken.

We wanted to pitch somewhere near High Dodd and we had planned to go to Boredale Hause ascend Place Fell then drop down to High Dodd. With the rain already falling we thought we would follow the shore path around to Scalehow Force instead. The rain stopped and the weather improved a bit.

Glenridding Dodd and Sheffield Pike

We came to the turn off to the Hare Shaw ascent of Place Fell. We thought why not go up this way, we hadn't done this route before and the weather looked pretty good.

It was an interesting ascent twisting and turning through juniper, very steep at times.

On the way up the Hare Shaw path

Across Ullswater to St Sunday Crag

Birks and Birkhouse Moor

Looking back at the route up

We weren't going fast enough for Squeaky and she squeaked at us for most of the way up.

We stopped for some lunch near The Knight

The weather had changed and rain threatened again. We took a traversing route below Place Fell when the heavens opened and got as quickly as we could to Low Moss. The rain was very heavy for about 20 minutes and the wind was strong too. We got some water from Low Moss Gill and thankfully the rain stopped.

The view from Low Moss

We wanted the tent up as soon as possible so we found a pitch near High Dodd. It was early at 2.30 but nobody could see us from the path.

The MSR near High Dodd

We had a brew when the water filtered and we were surprised when the sun came out and we had a very pleasant few hours in the sunshine. We managed to dry our rucksacks and waterproofs.

The MSR view to the west

The pitch was a bit more sloping than we had realised but we couldn't be bothered to move the tent. Beefy is still getting over a virus and I am still bring careful with my knee and we were pleased to relax for a few hours. We could pop onto Place Fell tomorrow on the way back to Patterdale.

Hallin Fell and Ullswater

The Helvellyn Dodds and Blencathra

After tea we had some wine and waited for the sun to go down. We thought it would go down near Blencathra and quite late, 21.50 at this time of year. It was cloudy but we dared to hope we would get something to see.

The start of the sunset

The sun dips down behind Blencathra

Almost gone

Nice colours in the sky

Not bad! We went to sleep happy with our day despite the drenching. Our route was Patterdale - Rooking - Hare Shaw path - The Knight - Low Moss - pitch near High Dodd 6km with 500m ascent.

We awoke to heavy rain at about 5 o'clock and it continued until 9. We quickly packed the tent away when it stopped and had an hour or so of dry walking. We had sacked the idea of Place Fell and dropped down to the Scalehow Force path. The summit was covered in clag and the wind was strong, no point as far as we are concerned!

The mine below High Dodd

The ruined mine buildings

Low Moss Gill in spate after the rain

Beefy and Squeaky on the way down to the shore path

Scalehow Force

The view of Silver Point on the way

The rain started in earnest and there were no more photos until we had passed Side Farm

Birks from near Side Farm

The sun came out and we were pretty dry when we got on our bus. Our route was Scalehow Force from our pitch - Silver Point - Side Farm - Patterdale 8km with 270m ascent. Not a bad camp and we got a sunset.

One casualty is my phone. I didn't put it in a plastic bag and it got soaked in my jacket pocket. It survived the last soaking but not this one  :(

My knee has held up quite well and although still not 100% it hasn't got any worse  O0
Hate will never win

beefy

• Veteran Member
Re: Wild camp near High Dodd Sat 15 to Sun 16 Jun 19
« Reply #1 on: 21:37:31, 18/06/19 »
Nice pics and write up Ape O0
Was nice relaxing looking out the tent at that view,
Fancy a dry wc this weekend :D

Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:58:20, 18/06/19 »
Sunny and dry sounds better  :)
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:06:02, 18/06/19 »
Nice pics April, pleased that your knee is getting better.
At least you had some respite from the rain.

karl h

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:31:04, 18/06/19 »
Lovely pics and Tr april O0
Shame about your phone but better news about your knee, hope Beefy is on the mend.
There are lots of interesting little bumps and crags around Place Fell most with good views and nice spots to pitch. ;)

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:17:21, 19/06/19 »
Well some nice views  :)
Bit of a crocks thread, beefy, you, squeaky a bit back, now your phone! Allus an entertaining read  :)
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 20:31:05, 19/06/19 »
Another good outing and pictures plucked from a foul weather spell, a brilliant sunset too.  O0

taxino8

« Reply #7 on: 20:58:34, 19/06/19 »
Great report and some brilliant photos, shame about the wind and rain but that’s The Lakes for you.
I’m taking the wife on a short trip up to Place Fell on Saturday night for a night under the stars, hopefully.
She doesn’t do this much, I’m just wondering how much stuff I can get her to carry although I know she’ll be up for carrying the wine.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 22:07:23, 19/06/19 »
At least you had some respite from the rain.

Thanks Ridge, we may have a dry weekend ahead  :o

Shame about your phone but better news about your knee, hope Beefy is on the mend.

Thanks Karl, just hayfever to contend with now  ;D

Bit of a crocks thread, beefy, you, squeaky a bit back, now your phone! Allus an entertaining read  :)

Thanks pleb. Aye we are both old codgers now  :(

Thanks vghikers it was a good sunset, especially when we expected nowt  :)

I’m taking the wife on a short trip up to Place Fell on Saturday night for a night under the stars, hopefully.
She doesn’t do this much, I’m just wondering how much stuff I can get her to carry although I know she’ll be up for carrying the wine.

;D Enjoy your night out, it looks like you might get decent weather  O0
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:31:08, 19/06/19 »
Nice pics and report as always April.  Good sunset shots  O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 22:46:40, 19/06/19 »
Great photos of the sunset April     :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 07:38:04, 20/06/19 »
Enjoyable trip report as always, April; the sunset was particularly fine.

Glad that your knee is on the mend!

Our family wild camping trip on the wild west coast of Orkney postponed due to tent pole breakage!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

photonut

« Reply #12 on: 10:11:09, 20/06/19 »
Nice pics April.

The route up Place fell via The Knight is a steep one in places, it must have been quite a challenge with all your kit?

It seems, yet again, you made the most of a bad day on Sunday..... with the horizontal rain and hail it made for a tough day.  The sunset must have made up for everything though, that is a stunner  O0

Sorry to hear your phone took a hit.  Can you dry it out with rice or something like that?

Cheers
Lee

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 12:40:35, 20/06/19 »
Thanks Mel, Dovegirl, Richard and Photonut  O0

Richard - I hope you fix your pole soon. It looks like a nice weekend  ;)

Photonut - my phone has dried out but the screen is damaged. It won't come on at all now. New phone has been successfully delivered today according to an email I have just received. The phone was a cheap phone so it doesn't matter, I don't need a posh swanky one any way, I only use the phone to send the odd text or emergency use.
Hate will never win

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 22:34:47, 20/06/19 »
Thank you for the time and effort you put into your TRS. 

They are really enjoyable.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy