Author Topic: Anglesey  (Read 17362 times)

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Anglesey
« Reply #30 on: 11:25:00, 15/04/16 »
Park your car at Bull Bay, its round the corner from Amwlch, and then follow the coastal path around the headland as far as Hells Mouth.
The point where the old Semaphore beacon is still standing,above the brickworks, is the most northerly point in the whole of Wales, and ive been more than lucky on several occasions to see dolphin, porpoise and grey seals.

It was near the famous ruins of the old Brickworks around the headlands, that two killer whales were sighted in the spring of last year, and even leatherback Turtles have been seen.

Ive never ventured around the headland without seeing something of interest.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 11:55:17, 15/04/16 »
+1.  One of my favourite walks when I lived in Rhydwyn.  The whole north coast is good for wild life - choughs, seals, dolphins, basking shark, orca etc.  Never got to see any turtles though.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 12:05:44, 15/04/16 »
Last year, three very rare Leatherback Turtles were sighted in Welsh waters, one off Cardigan Bay, another off the Llyn Peninsula, and the other off the coast near Bull Bay.
Either the plenty full supply of food, cleanly ness of the waters, or both.

A reported but unconfirmed sighting of a Great White Shark, was made off Cornwall last year.

Be affraid, very affraid, to swim in our waters,   WE ARE NOT ALONE

werringtonwalker

« Reply #33 on: 20:41:27, 16/04/16 »
Looking forward to another set of photos Tracey.  Have set aside the Bank Holiday weekend in a couple of weeks on the basis that I'll need some time to see them all if last time is anything to go by :)

Hope you have a great time again.
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

Brian Sayle

« Reply #34 on: 20:51:23, 17/04/16 »
Im sure others have mentioned Llanddwyn Island, one thing to note it is tidal and people do get stuck there at times, maybe check tidetimes.co.uk perhaps. If you are interested in industrial heritagePorth Wen brickworks is a wonderful place to walk down to, its on the northern part of Anglesey thou, but the bay and the view is fantastic.
Twitter @BrianSaylePhoto

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 15:15:09, 24/04/16 »
I had such a fantastic time and the weather was so good that I stayed an extra night!  Explored/walked some new areas and repeated a walk or two which I really enjoyed last September.

The walk from Bull Bay to Cemaes was gorgeous, especially the bit around Hell's Mouth....and yes, the brickworks and coastline etc at Porth Wen were really lovely.

Really liked Llanddwyn Island and all the little bays around it.  There were some wild horses grazing near one of the beaches, a few of which were quite friendly.

Re-visited Church Bay but walked the opposite way on the coast path to last time. Did a there-and-back walk that day and timed it to be back at the bay to watch the sunset.  Absolutely gorgeous  8)

Also re-visited Cemyln Bay and spent a few hours scrambling on the rocks around the headland.  There's a particular beach there where I like to spend time shell collecting.

Climbed/explored Holyhead Mountain this time, which was lots of fun. I think I'd be up and down that fairly regularly if I lived there, just for the views off the coast path en-route!

Took lots of pics but haven't really had time to sort through them yet.

Watch this space! :D
***Happiness is only a smile away***

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 17:06:32, 24/04/16 »
The only time ive ever felt threatened or in danger for my safety, was crossing the fields above Porth Wen.
The land is heavily grazed by both cows and horses, all year round, and i really had to run for it, towards Semaphore hill, as around nine or ten cows really went ballistic in my direction.

There were no calves amongst them, but had i stood my ground, then i am sure i would have been trampled by them.

That section from Semaphore hill towards Hells Mouth, is a real gem of a walk, and there is a small lookout shelter on the most Northerly point in the whole of Wales.

Normally i avoid any fields where cows or horses are grazing, but these cows were some considerable distance away, so i thought, no danger here, but they singled me out for some reason.

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 18:20:36, 24/04/16 »
Look forward to seeing the photos SD myself and the wife love Llanddwyn Island and Newborough warren one of our favorite walks i liked the hut circles on the South stack side of Holyhead mountain

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 07:52:51, 25/04/16 »
....... i liked the hut circles on the South stack side of Holyhead mountain

Yep, I had a wander around those too!  Very impressive.  O0

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 22:13:36, 29/07/16 »
Sorry it's taken so long....but the link below should take you to my last set of holiday photos. O0

https://www.facebook.com/tracey.wright.1675/media_set?set=a.1245889705429781.1073741886.100000262904616&type=3&pnref=story

Just make sure you're sitting comfortably  :D

DalesWalesLakesandPeaks

« Reply #40 on: 22:39:53, 29/07/16 »
What a wonderful island, so lucky to, after 29 years, once again call this place home.

:)
Twitter: @jonesibfc

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 13:29:56, 30/07/16 »
Hold on to your hat, my mother's side of the family came from Pen Mynydd, and she alway's recounts the extreme winter weather on the island.
Anyone visiting the place, should look carefully at how all the trees are leaning against the wind.
Still a lovely island to visit during the summer months.

werringtonwalker

« Reply #42 on: 19:34:57, 30/07/16 »
Some lovely pictures Tracey. Glad I prompted you  ;)

Thanks for posting
In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks - John Muir

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 12:07:03, 11/05/18 »
Once again, I'm off to Anglesey to do a bit more exploring! :D   Leaving early tomorrow morning and I can't wait!
Weather looks good all week, although I know things can change.

I'm planning to walk the area around Penmon Point this time, as well explore some other new areas.
No doubt I'll be re-visiting a few of my favourite spots too.

Excited! ;D

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 14:02:13, 11/05/18 »
Once again, I'm off to Anglesey to do a bit more exploring! :D   Leaving early tomorrow morning and I can't wait!
Weather looks good all week, although I know things can change.

I'm planning to walk the area around Penmon Point this time, as well explore some other new areas.
No doubt I'll be re-visiting a few of my favourite spots too.

Excited! ;D

The church at Penmon Point is really interesting. Have a great trip and hope the weather is kind
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy