Author Topic: Crib Goch  (Read 4775 times)

Ambulatis

Crib Goch
« on: 20:03:16, 20/12/17 »
Thinking of doing Crib Goch in the spring, done a bit of research and there are varying views from "far from imposible" to "terrifying" would welcome any feedback from beginer to inermidiate hill walkers ?  :)

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
Re: Crib Goch
« Reply #1 on: 20:46:21, 20/12/17 »
A tip don't do too much research you can psych yourself out before you even get up there, those go pro clips on youtube etc make it look a lot worse than it is
If you are a fairly competent scrambler who is ok with heights it wont be a problem at all
If you haven't done much scrambling and you are iffy with heights it's going to be a nerve racking challenge
Route finding is fairly straightforward but get a route beforehand just in case and if it's always more enjoyable in decent weather so try and get a good day for it

Ambulatis

« Reply #2 on: 23:26:52, 20/12/17 »
Many thanks, think ill give it a go, not fazzed by heights and did miners up Pyg back last year, really enjoyable. trying to organise good weather could be a chalenge ! Lol  ;D

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:12:53, 21/12/17 »
I've done many of the popular Grade One scrambles and I'm a fairly experienced fell walker.

A friend and I did Crib Goch for the first time last year as part of the Snowdon Horseshoe. I found it exhilarating but it also demanded concentration and respect. In my opinion, the Horsehoe circuit is among the best mountain days Wales has to offer.

Just as Meerkat says, there's a lot of YouTube footage that makes Crib Goch look much more frightening than it is: conversely, there are  boastful online reports dismissing any dangers - "What's all the fuss about - I romped over it". The truth is between the two.

Also as Meerkat says, you need to have done plenty of scrambling on easier terrain and you definitely need to be comfortable with exposure - there are some very steep drops along the ridge.

As well as that head for heights, you also need to be sure-footed and able to concentrate.

Technically it is fairly easy - only one or two awkward moves - and the going is mostly good and sound.

However, I would advise against doing Crib Goch in windy, icy or very wet conditions (at least for the first time). Also, the route can get crowded (which means queuing in places and/or feeling pressured) so start early in the day or, if possible, go mid-week.

If you are uncertain and feel you need a confidence boost, consider going with someone who knows the ridge or - even better - hire a local guide ( s/he should have a Mountain Leader qualification).

There's a Trip Report of the day I spent on the Snowdon Horseshoe at this URL:
http://allthegearbutnoidea.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/the-snowdon-horseshoe.html
Skip

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:15:57, 21/12/17 »
... did miners up Pyg back last year ...

Just spotted that line in your post. Crib Goch is more challenging and much more exposed than either the Pyg or the Miner's paths
Skip

Ambulatis

« Reply #5 on: 11:53:34, 21/12/17 »
Many thanks, good shout re going mid week and starting early being presured and rushing is not good, if i can get the weather in your photos i will be very happy.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:14:52, 21/12/17 »
Its all about how one either enjoys or dreads real mountain exposure.
The mountain is just above that magic 3000ft contour, and the drop on the northern side, facing llanberis is extreme to say the least, if you fall this side, its game over.

The main ridge itself, is not very wide, possibly wide enough to allow safe passing of two people with a little space to spare, but the rock is very lose in places, so caution must always be shown where one is placing ones feet.

If care is taken, its straight forward and fairly safe, but if one panics, realising the height and exposure is far more severe than you expected, it can be very dangerous, as unlike the other 14 Welsh 3000 summits, there is no immediate escape to safety, once you have gained the ridge itself, its probably safer to continue than returning the way you came.

There are no safe and immediate escape routes on Crib Goch, if you find yourself crag fast, unable to move, any traverse to safety will involve considerable effort, all on very difficult ground.

Turning towards the North and Llanberis, there is a sheer cliff face, nearly a thousand feet straight up, or down, depending the way your travelling, head first or last.

Turning to the East, the angle of the mountain is first gentle, but soon becomes severe, and there are few recognised paths,and the ones that are there, have to be found by trial and error, and their all very low down the mountain.

Its you and the mountain, and finding your route to the Pyg track involves considerable navigation, through fallen rock and boulder fields, and this is when the weather is clear, ive done it, and the scree and lose rocky terrain made for very slow progress, and visibility was perfect, in mist God knows where i would have ended up.

Coming down the most popular way up, the  East ridge, is far more difficult than going up, as the angle is quite challenging on the very shiny rock.

Ive turned back several times, both on the East and Northern approaches, so its not my favourite mountain.

Your first traverse of Crib Goch is far better in the company of other walkers, then you may not want to display your fear, and will soldier on, pretending your enjoying every moment of it.

Ive only crossed its ridge three times, and that was many years ago.

I know the mountain, and what to expect, i hate exposure and heights, and Crib Goch has both those in huge amounts.

The main rocky ridge, regularly freezes up, even in milder winters, as as the ice thaws, the rock cracks, and is forced apart, making certain sections of the ridge itself, lose in places.

Thousands traverse its ridge annually, many by mistake, and others knowing what is to come.

If care is taken, its safe, but the exposure is extreme, and if you dislike exposure, then maybe its left well alone.

My first traverse, was as long ago as 1978, i still remember it, as your first traverse of this very famous mountain will never be forgotten.

If you attempt it, good luck, you may enjoy it, but go prepared, remembering that if for some reason you become scared of the exposure, there is no quick escape.
« Last Edit: 22:58:54, 21/12/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:59:57, 21/12/17 »
Give me a shout in the spring if I am available I would be happy to take you round the horseshoe

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 23:02:50, 21/12/17 »
This is by far the best way, in the company of someone who knows the mountain, and what to expect.
Doing it by yourself, may bring doubts about your ability, as once you have made the ridge itself, its a difficult traverse back the way you came.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:06:09, 22/12/17 »
DA, that description is a fair bit over the top, yes it is exposed in places but it's not the North Face of the Eiger. To the OP pick a dry day, take your time, concentrate on where your putting your feet and you'll be fine.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:59:18, 22/12/17 »
The description is extremely accurate, the drop into Cwm Glas, on the llanberis side is approaching nearly a thousand feet, and its one sheer cliff face, with no gentle angle to break the fall of someone who has fallen, its down you go.

The eastern side, facing the Pyg and Miners tracks, is far less severe, but just as dangerous, with no direct path to safety, its a relentless slog down broken rock, until one eventually locates one of the numerous sheep paths.

Once you have reached the start of the main ridge itself, where does one go, other than along the ridge.

Turning back down the east face of Crib Goch, the way you came, involves a great deal of care and scrambling on possibly wet rock, with some interesting gradients that are straight forward in ascent, but a lot more tricky in decent, and all this if the rock is dry.

If the rock is wet, it will be not be easy return to safe ground.

My description is extremely accurate, i should know, as ive timidly turned back several times on my ascent to the top,   and even though thousands of walkers attempt it annually, does not take away the fact, that if you panic on Crib Goch, where with safety firmly in mind, do you go in a hurry - NOWHERE
« Last Edit: 12:13:11, 22/12/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 13:45:25, 22/12/17 »
And when was the last time you were there DA? If it was as long ago as some of the kit you have I suspect your memory isn't as good as you might think  ;)
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:48:55, 23/12/17 »
Four weeks ago, whilst climbing the Pyg track, and no amount of purssuasion will make me change my mind on the mountain.
Ive approached Crib Goch from every direction, Cwm Glas, North Ridge, East ridge, Snowdon Horseshoe, in both directions, and down the eastern flanks of the mountain.

Ive even watched the Llanberis MRT rescuing a sheep who got stuck halfway up the cliffs on the Northern side.

There's no point in trying to argue over my comment because its all accurate, and on recollection, i do not remember the mountain having changed that much in the last hundred years or so.

Just because the majority of us have climbed it numerous times, it still commands great respect.

« Last Edit: 13:52:39, 23/12/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy