Author Topic: TR - Craig y Llyn & the Tawe Hills 3-day backpack  (Read 1833 times)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
A 3-day route around the hills of Cwm Tawe combined with a short one-off excursion to claim Craig y Llyn, one of our two remaining hills on the 600m Sims list. Yr Allt, the other Sim hill, is traversed on the main circuit.

The apparently popular approach to hill bagging where you drive a car as close as possible to the summit, claim the top and drive off again, is one that normally we thoroughly dislike. However there are a few cases where the technique fits quite well and Craig y Llyn, the historic county top of Glamorgan, is a case in point. It lies on the Coed Morgannwg Way trail (CMW) but this route did not appeal as a backpack. The hill is blighted by extensive forestry operations and a wind farm is under construction near the top, leaving the views from the northern edge as its only merit.

A return to the Brecon Beacons was long overdue and we designed the Tawe route to include our first lakeside exploration of Llyn y Fan Fawr, approaching from the east and taking in Moel Feity, another new Dewey 500m top.

With a forecast of hot sunny weather following an already dry spell, and given the limestone geology of this area where streams can disappear underground, we predicted problems maintaining water levels and took our Platypus water container to supplement our usual bottles - how right we were.

Full report & photos

adalard

• Veteran Member
Re: TR - Craig y Llyn & the Tawe Hills 3-day backpack
« Reply #1 on: 16:33:59, 28/06/18 »
Sounds like you had a good trip - enjoyed the blog and the pictures. I especially liked the photos of and around Llyn y Fan Fawr.  O0

Glad to see you ended by bagging a much better trig point/summit than the one you visited at the start.  :)

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:40:59, 28/06/18 »
I enjoy reading how much people enjoy walking in my local area that is familiar to me, good read thanks for that  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:59:28, 30/06/18 »
Thanks folks, brilliant area for backpacking.
That Craig y Llyn trig definitely joins our list of misère tops to remember, along with a few on my Upper Wye Hills backpack.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 22:07:31, 24/07/18 »
Another great read and photos. Good stuff  O0

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:17:46, 28/07/18 »
Thanks redeye, a bit late - just back from another trip. I'm sure we'll be back in this area, there are still new parts to explore.

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:42:11, 29/07/18 »
Nice photos, i live at the foot of craig y llyn
you have 1 life live it

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:51:18, 29/07/18 »
Thanks Gary, great walking country near where you live.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy