Author Topic: The truth about single skin / hybrid tents  (Read 12986 times)

Troggy

Re: The truth about single skin / hybrid tents
« Reply #30 on: 07:55:11, 26/06/18 »
I must be just thinking I'm flippin freezing, when I'm in a mesh inner tent and a cold wind blows. Thankfully, I now realise that I just Think I'm cold! Mind you, now I've sewn in the material panels, I can think I'm warmer :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 07:58:41, 26/06/18 »

You cannot feel any draught once you are in the mesh inner tent, because the mesh does not allow wind through, so you do not get cold inside either.  ...

I think that very much depends upon what sort of weather conditions you are camping in, marmot (and the density of the mesh); a gentle breeze maybe. But it was force 6, gusting force 7 the other night on my local clifftop. Normally I like to keep the solid inner door open as I sleep, and just rely upon the mesh door; not that night!
« Last Edit: 08:07:29, 26/06/18 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 07:59:28, 26/06/18 »

I must be just thinking I'm flippin freezing, when I'm in a mesh inner tent and a cold wind blows. Thankfully, I now realise that I just Think I'm cold! Mind you, now I've sewn in the material panels, I can think I'm warmer :)

;D

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 10:31:37, 26/06/18 »

This is not the case Owen...No-See-Um mesh, used on most modern ultralight US designed tents, has a high resistance to wind penetration but still allows moist vapors like breath through easily (it is highly breathable).  By guying out the fly at the bottom of the tent, via the webbing loops provided for this purpose, a small draught is set up in the gap between the inner tent and the fly, carrying any moist air away before it has a chance to condense on the inner wall of the fly...So you actually stay drier!  You cannot feel any draught once you are in the mesh inner tent, because the mesh does not allow wind through, so you do not get cold inside either.  Using such mesh is not just there to save weight, it is to keep you drier too.

I have used several tents with mesh or part mesh inners, I can assure you mesh does let the wind through. In the weather we are having right now this can be a good thing, roll the doors back and let the breeze through whilst the mesh keeps the midges out. Come October it won't be quite so welcome.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 13:31:00, 26/06/18 »
I am in full agreement with those who say it can be draughty in a mesh inner in wind.
As well as a small triangular mesh panel at either end of my Zephyros inner, the upper half of its door is mesh along its full length.
In May 2015 I was pitched on a 600m ridge, behind a small outcrop but the wind was coming around either side of it. Although it was probably only about 20 mph, I could feel the stronger gusts blowing through the side of of my sleeping bag that was nearest the door.

FOX160

« Reply #35 on: 23:50:07, 27/06/18 »
Love threads like these, First off it’s obvious to me the Tent isn’t set up correctly
My last 2 tents have been single skin and I doubt I will want a double skin tent ever again unless it’s way past minus 2. Right now I am I’m my Yamama Mountain Gear Swiftline with all my mesh exposed 
Best £500 pounds I have spent!. Single skin tents are great in the right hands and a new learning curve, just have to play with it.
recently I was on a trip and most of the people with Double wall shelters complained of wet inners I was fine, yes I had some condensation but I just wiped it off.
Right now I am in the UK and I have my Swiftline set up like this.

https://cdn8.bigcommerce.com/s-bdkmv/images/stencil/2048x2048/products/151/1049/IMG_6011__89035.1462924447.jpg?c=2
« Last Edit: 00:00:19, 28/06/18 by FOX160 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 06:12:32, 28/06/18 »

That's an interesting location, fox; where is it?

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 08:11:43, 28/06/18 »
Love threads like these, First off it’s obvious to me the Tent isn’t set up correctly
My last 2 tents have been single skin and I doubt I will want a double skin tent ever again unless it’s way past minus 2. Right now I am I’m my Yamama Mountain Gear Swiftline with all my mesh exposed 
Best £500 pounds I have spent!. Single skin tents are great in the right hands and a new learning curve, just have to play with it.
recently I was on a trip and most of the people with Double wall shelters complained of wet inners I was fine, yes I had some condensation but I just wiped it off.

Interesting. So just how open does the tent need to be to avoid condensation?

Say it's a classic autumn night in Wales - humid, rainy and cool - I'd normally have my tent complete done up and I'd expect to see a decent amount of condensation on the fly when striking camp the next morning. That amount of condensation would be a problem were I touching it. How do you avoid that with your single skin?

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 08:16:49, 28/06/18 »

Looks like sea level

Interesting. So just how open does the tent need to be to avoid condensation?

Say it's a classic autumn night in Wales - humid, rainy and cool - I'd normally have my tent complete done up and I'd expect to see a decent amount of condensation on the fly when striking camp the next morning. That amount of condensation would be a problem were I touching it. How do you avoid that with your single skin? 

Exactly, I was just about to post something similar,
And what do you do in wind when the gusts shake all that condensation off, onto your sleeping bag...
Too late to wipe it off the flysheet now  ;D   
« Last Edit: 08:26:11, 28/06/18 by beefy »
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 08:26:17, 28/06/18 »

The picture is taken from the "Yama Mountain Gear" (A US Company) website.

Fox does carefully say "Right now I am in the UK and I have my Swiftline set up like this."

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 08:27:50, 28/06/18 »

Ah; and here was me thinking that that was somewhere in Britain!

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 08:27:57, 28/06/18 »

Oh so you have no pics of actually using the tent then,
What about what Neil and I posted

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 08:30:14, 28/06/18 »

Where do you normally do your camping, Fox, if you don't mind me asking? And in what sort of conditions?

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 08:31:13, 28/06/18 »
Oh so you have no pics of actually using the tent then,
What about what Neil and I posted
Come on MT,
Let's hear your next load of nonsense  ;D

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 08:32:25, 28/06/18 »
Where do you normally do your camping, Fox, if you don't mind me asking? And in what sort of conditions?
In his garden, twice, then he sells it ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy