Author Topic: Entry to Brecon / Black Mountains nearest to M4?  (Read 1750 times)

NeilC

• Veteran Member
I'm thinking of doing a quick overnighter. I'm based in the Southeast so will be going along the M4. Previously I've driven to Llanthony and walked from there. But I'm interested in any other suitable entry points near to the M4. I'm not bothered about going up the well-known peaks like Pen Y Fan but more interested in relative solitude, good walk, nice views and a cheeky overnight wild camp.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
Re: Entry to Brecon / Black Mountains nearest to M4?
« Reply #1 on: 16:37:01, 18/08/17 »
Head for Crickhowell and do this circular, either clockwise or anti clockwise the choice is yours. Crickhowell- Table Mountain - Pen Cerrig Calch - Pen Allt Mawr - Pen Gloch y Pibwr - Darren then Cwm Cumbeth back to Crickhowell
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 17:36:25, 18/08/17 »
Head for Crickhowell and do this circular, either clockwise or anti clockwise the choice is yours. Crickhowell- Table Mountain - Pen Cerrig Calch - Pen Allt Mawr - Pen Gloch y Pibwr - Darren then Cwm Cumbeth back to Crickhowell

I might very well do that - thanks, could be ideal.

O0

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:18:48, 18/08/17 »
You could easily approach the Black Mountains from the Hay on Wye side, coming down past Capel Y Finn, and its not that far from Brecon.

I know i will be heavily criticised for it, but can i suggest another alternative for real solitude and possibly an area of the Brecon Beacons you have never considered, its a walk of incredible interest, and you will more than likely have the place to yourself.

Do a web search for the Craig Y Nos country park, and ascend the Carmarthen Vans from anywhere along the A4067 Glyntawe Sennybridge rd.

I know you have asked for information on the Black Mountains, but as this is supposed to be a forum offering advice, i will offer it, you can take it or leave it.

Drive as far as Cnewr, and you will see McTurks farm, you cannot miss it, as its one of the largest farms in this part of the Western Beacons, and also another point of reference is the Cray reservoir.

This section of the Western Beacons, also known as the Black Mountain, is an area very few walkers venture near, simply because its an unknown quantity.

A very remote alternative for your intended part of the Black Mountains, is to ascend them from Pengenffordd, that's a real solitude location if there was one, and its not that far from Brecon, but it takes some finding, and is not really a wild camp area.

I would like your thoughts on my suggestion, Carmarthen Vans (Black Mountain) or an ascent of Waun Fach and Pen Y Gadair Fawr from Pengenffordd, (crossed fingers for no mist) as the Waun Fach to Pen Y Gadair Fawr ridge is incredibly challenging in pea soup.
« Last Edit: 19:24:52, 18/08/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:10:40, 18/08/17 »
DA no offence, but your knowledge of the Beacons is somewhat dated these days. The areas you suggest are indeed fine walking areas and I have walked them many times, but they are quiet no longer I'm afraid, in addition the path between Waun Fach and Pen y Gadair Fawr is now sanitised and easily followed unlike the old horrible big fest it once was.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:12:47, 19/08/17 »
What is the path like in pea soup mist nowdays.
It was along this stretch of mountainside, that i was given my first navigation lesson, way back in 1981, and it was on par with navigating off Carnedd Lewellyn towards Foel Grach.
Its been well over twenty four years sice ive ventured anywhere near the Llanthony area, and i bet like Pen Y Fan, the path erosion must have increased ten fold.
In 1981, there was still a visible scar from summit to summit, but not sufficiently eroded enough to navigate blind.

The reason i suggested Cray reservoir, is because as the crow flies, its a direct route across Forest Fawr from Storrey Arms, and McTurks farm was the first building one encountered after crossing Forest Fawr.

It was part of the now discontinued South Wales Marathon walk route, so i still know it fairy well.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:25:45, 19/08/17 »
Like anywhere it's not pleasant in mist or fog, but the national park have done some great work up there on Waun Fach, it does take a lot of the challenge out of it but a much more pleasant experience.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:17:47, 21/08/17 »
We didn't follow the exact suggested as after a while we were being driven by finding a suitable camping spot more than anything else. We (my 13yr old son and I) parked in Llandedr and found the path up to Table Mountain where, amongst the other scenery, the Green Man Festival was spread out below like a small town. It's pretty busy up there being a popular day-walk spot by the look of it. Then onto Pen Cerrig Calch, Pen gloch y pibwr, to Pen Allt Mawr, Pen Twyn Glas and Mynydd Llysiau. The ridge along the latter part became hilariously windy, blowing us physicall around and the bit of rain feeling like being sand blasted.

As we got towards Pen Trumau we were searching hard for a camping spot and decided to just walk down the side of it to the river/stream below in the hope of some flat and sheltered ground that wasn't a farmer's field. We found an idyllic spot right on the banks of the stream and set up there. I think it's the best (only?) spot for miles and there was another chap a 50 yards along who'd had the same idea.

The next day we climbed back up and decided to get back to the car in a slightly easier fashion and tried to find the supposed bridleway along the side of the ridge which doesn't actually appear to exist for most of the but turned into a proper path towards Darren, then back to the car and back towards home via the promised McDonalds.

It was a good route. I'd forgotten how small the area is really - I was surprised to see how close we got to our last trip to the Black Mountains - the bothy at the Grwynne Fawr reservoir.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
« Last Edit: 10:21:23, 21/08/17 by NeilC »

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:42:35, 21/08/17 »
You could easily approach the Black Mountains from the Hay on Wye side, coming down past Capel Y Finn, and its not that far from Brecon.

I know i will be heavily criticised for it, but can i suggest another alternative for real solitude and possibly an area of the Brecon Beacons you have never considered, its a walk of incredible interest, and you will more than likely have the place to yourself.

Do a web search for the Craig Y Nos country park, and ascend the Carmarthen Vans from anywhere along the A4067 Glyntawe Sennybridge rd.

I know you have asked for information on the Black Mountains, but as this is supposed to be a forum offering advice, i will offer it, you can take it or leave it.

Drive as far as Cnewr, and you will see McTurks farm, you cannot miss it, as its one of the largest farms in this part of the Western Beacons, and also another point of reference is the Cray reservoir.

This section of the Western Beacons, also known as the Black Mountain, is an area very few walkers venture near, simply because its an unknown quantity.

A very remote alternative for your intended part of the Black Mountains, is to ascend them from Pengenffordd, that's a real solitude location if there was one, and its not that far from Brecon, but it takes some finding, and is not really a wild camp area.

I would like your thoughts on my suggestion, Carmarthen Vans (Black Mountain) or an ascent of Waun Fach and Pen Y Gadair Fawr from Pengenffordd, (crossed fingers for no mist) as the Waun Fach to Pen Y Gadair Fawr ridge is incredibly challenging in pea soup.

Sounds interesting. Might well take a look at the first suggestion from Cnewr / Black Mountain. It's another 1/2 an hour or so drive but compared to the hideously long drives I've been having to Dartmoor (the last being over 5 hours due to traffic on the M5) it's still near enough.  

Everywhere seems to busy these days. I remember, as a teen, backpacking up well known peaks in the Lake District, seeing a couple of people and camping near a tarn or whatever. These days it's like Piccadilly Circus up some of them with countless challenge walks going up and down substantial stone paths etc. Very hard to find solitude. That's why I like N.Dartmoor. Even when it's dry and in peak Summer you can find yourself alone, or very nearly for prolonged periods once you've got out of range spots near tourist towns.  

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy