Author Topic: Brecon Beacons advice please!  (Read 4762 times)

Petrolhead

Brecon Beacons advice please!
« on: 16:00:46, 22/08/18 »
Hi guys.

My better half and I are probably going to head over to Brecon Beacons this weekend so I was wondering if I could tap into your collective knowledge to help with our itinerary.

So far we have done:

Llangorse Lake
Llyn Cwm Llwch
Llyn y Fan Fawr
Pontsticill Reservoir
The four waterfalls walk

And that's about it.

I'm looking for advice on walks (7ish miles max, shorter ones good too), any must see lakes I've missed (I have a think for smaller lakes in the hills / mountains), good spots for photography, interesting things to see, places to enjoy sunset, etc.

Your sagely advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers guys.

Mes

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
Re: Brecon Beacons advice please!
« Reply #1 on: 16:30:26, 22/08/18 »
One of my favourites, when living in South Wales, was to walk the Roman road from the Mountain centre above Libanus.
The Roman Road winds its way all the way from Brecon Gaer fort, which is on the Builth side of Brecon, and makes for Coelbren, not far from Craig Y Nos.

The walk can be as long or as short as you want to make it, but it goes through some of the remotest regions of the park, traversing through Forest Fawr, and on towards Coelbren and beyond.

Its very easy walking, and has stunning views towards the main summits, and receives very few visitors.

I never managed to walk its entire length, as its route from outside Brecon leading to the Mountain centre, has never fully been verified by archaeologists, but the sections approaching the Mountain Centre from the Brecon side, are incredible.

As you drive up the winding road from the A470 from Libanus to the Mountain Centre, the Roman road is visible on the mountainside just opposite the entrance to the MC.

You can follow it clearly for a significant distance, and its only on the other side of Forest Fawr near the famous Maen Madog Roman monolith, that it gets tricky to follow.

The section near Colbren is quite impressive.

Its also one of those walks that can be combined by using your own transport, parking at opposite ends, to appreciate the wilder regions of the National Park.
« Last Edit: 16:44:19, 22/08/18 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:53:19, 22/08/18 »
There are many more than four waterfalls in waterfall country for starters and many paths away from those you see in guidebooks. However for a bit of get away from it all try this one -
From Glyntawe follow the path from the showcases through the area marked with shake holes until the see Waun Fignen Felen, turn east here toward Afon Haffes and the Sgwd Ddu waterfall, an amazing place. From here go downstream, you will need to cross over at least once or twice and Emerge at Carreg Haffes.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:12:13, 22/08/18 »
Blimey, i wish i was living in easier distance to the Beacons National Park, as your suggestions are really thought provoking.
I visited the Waterfall country a few times, and enjoyed the Carmarthen Vans once or twice, but annoyingly like most other walkers, i got magnetised to the main summits of Pen Y Fan & Corn Ddu.
Even though the main Beacons were superb walking country, offering many alternative approaches, from both the Usk Bridge and Merthyr side, i neglected the outlying areas.

Fond memories though, of an area that first introduced me to hill walking, nearly 40yrs ago.

Petrolhead

« Reply #4 on: 17:30:20, 22/08/18 »
One of my favourites, when living in South Wales, was to walk the Roman road from the Mountain centre above Libanus.
The Roman Road winds its way all the way from Brecon Gaer fort, which is on the Builth side of Brecon, and makes for Coelbren, not far from Craig Y Nos.

The walk can be as long or as short as you want to make it, but it goes through some of the remotest regions of the park, traversing through Forest Fawr, and on towards Coelbren and beyond.

Its very easy walking, and has stunning views towards the main summits, and receives very few visitors.

I never managed to walk its entire length, as its route from outside Brecon leading to the Mountain centre, has never fully been verified by archaeologists, but the sections approaching the Mountain Centre from the Brecon side, are incredible.

As you drive up the winding road from the A470 from Libanus to the Mountain Centre, the Roman road is visible on the mountainside just opposite the entrance to the MC.

You can follow it clearly for a significant distance, and its only on the other side of Forest Fawr near the famous Maen Madog Roman monolith, that it gets tricky to follow.

The section near Colbren is quite impressive.

Its also one of those walks that can be combined by using your own transport, parking at opposite ends, to appreciate the wilder regions of the National Park.

Thanks Dyffryn. Thorough and helpful as always. I'll have a good look through all this tonight.

O0

Petrolhead

« Reply #5 on: 17:35:02, 22/08/18 »
There are many more than four waterfalls in waterfall country for starters and many paths away from those you see in guidebooks. However for a bit of get away from it all try this one -
From Glyntawe follow the path from the showcases through the area marked with shake holes until the see Waun Fignen Felen, turn east here toward Afon Haffes and the Sgwd Ddu waterfall, an amazing place. From here go downstream, you will need to cross over at least once or twice and Emerge at Carreg Haffes.

Guidebooks?!

:D

I'm so hilariously unprepared I don't even have one book or map!

Sure there are plenty of waterfalls, we just did the tourist walk on our first visit. Will probably have a look at Henrhyd   Falls this time as it's easy to get to.  

I've just had a look at Sgwd Ddu, it looks fantastic. Thanks for the advice Phil, I think we'll definitely try to factor that in.    O0

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:12:59, 22/08/18 »
Blimey, i wish i was living in easier distance to the Beacons National Park, as your suggestions are really thought provoking.
I visited the Waterfall country a few times, and enjoyed the Carmarthen Vans once or twice, but annoyingly like most other walkers, i got magnetised to the main summits of Pen Y Fan & Corn Ddu.
Even though the main Beacons were superb walking country, offering many alternative approaches, from both the Usk Bridge and Merthyr side, i neglected the outlying areas.

Fond memories though, of an area that first introduced me to hill walking, nearly 40yrs ago.
Ah a fatal error, I rarely go near the central Beacons unless in winter these days. Knowing the park so well it’s rare for me to see more than a handful of people all day, sometimes none at all which is surprising when you consider its popularity.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:19:50, 22/08/18 »
@ Petrolhead, if old wartime or later crashed aircraft remains are of interest to you, there are loads in the Brecon Beacons. I’ve visited most of them, some several times always as part of a walk, this book is very good
Aircraft Crash Sites in the Brecon Beacons: A Walker's Guide https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1905795793/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1RzFBbHAV93MY

Petrolhead

« Reply #8 on: 19:55:43, 22/08/18 »
Ah a fatal error, I rarely go near the central Beacons unless in winter these days. Knowing the park so well it’s rare for me to see more than a handful of people all day, sometimes none at all which is surprising when you consider its popularity.

We went during bank holiday in May. It was hilarious how absolutely rammed the popular spots were and we had Llyn Cwm Llwych and Llyn y Fan Fawr to ourselves pretty much the whole time we were there. Two outstanding spots and some genuine tranquility. Loved it.

I can imagine it's glorious in winter.

Petrolhead

« Reply #9 on: 19:57:26, 22/08/18 »
@ Petrolhead, if old wartime or later crashed aircraft remains are of interest to you, there are loads in the Brecon Beacons. I’ve visited most of them, some several times always as part of a walk, this book is very good
Aircraft Crash Sites in the Brecon Beacons: A Walker's Guide https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1905795793/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1RzFBbHAV93MY

I did NOT know that! Thanks Phil. I wouldn't make a special effort to go to one but having just looked and realised you're right, (there are a LOT!) there's bound to be something near to something else we're doing and we can factor it in.

Nice one mate. Just seen some crazy images on google. I can't believe they're all just left there like that. But I think it's cool that they are!

Petrolhead

« Reply #10 on: 20:16:56, 22/08/18 »
Llangattock Escarpment looks very good. Think we'll give that a go at some point.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:53:05, 22/08/18 »
Llangattock Escarpment looks very good. Think we'll give that a go at some point.
If you go there, I highly recommend Pwll Gwy-Rhoc, a very tranquil spot, or for a little more adventure you can go in Eglwys Faen cave but take a head torch and don’t disturb the rare bats in there.

clyoung

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 23:41:06, 22/08/18 »
If you've visited Llyn y Fan Fawr, what about Llyn y Fan Fach? We followed this route but you could make it shorter by cutting out Fan Foel and the trek across country to get to it and going more directly to the lake:

http://www.theaa.com/walks/the-escarpments-of-the-carmarthen-fan-420061

For waterfalls and a crash site, you could go to either of the Blaen y Glyn car parks and do a circular route like this one:

http://www.walkscene.co.uk/description_61/talybont_waterfalls_walk.html

If you're at all into history, there's the Chartist Caves. This was the Weatherman Walking route, we cut it short:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/weatherman-walking/walks/trefil.pdf

Petrolhead

« Reply #13 on: 14:34:14, 23/08/18 »
If you go there, I highly recommend Pwll Gwy-Rhoc, a very tranquil spot, or for a little more adventure you can go in Eglwys Faen cave but take a head torch and don’t disturb the rare bats in there.

Thanks again Phil, Pwll Gwy-Rhoc looks superb will definitely look at fitting that in.  O0

Petrolhead

« Reply #14 on: 14:47:44, 23/08/18 »
If you've visited Llyn y Fan Fawr, what about Llyn y Fan Fach? We followed this route but you could make it shorter by cutting out Fan Foel and the trek across country to get to it and going more directly to the lake:

http://www.theaa.com/walks/the-escarpments-of-the-carmarthen-fan-420061

For waterfalls and a crash site, you could go to either of the Blaen y Glyn car parks and do a circular route like this one:

http://www.walkscene.co.uk/description_61/talybont_waterfalls_walk.html

If you're at all into history, there's the Chartist Caves. This was the Weatherman Walking route, we cut it short:

http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/tv/weatherman-walking/walks/trefil.pdf

Thanks Claire. That's a good shout about Llyn y Fan Fach. Mountain lakes are one my favourite things to see. Although it looks very similar to Llyn y Fan Fawr it would be silly not to. And we already planned to be near Talybont so that one looks good too.

Appreciate the help.  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy