Author Topic: Every picture tells a story  (Read 8818 times)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Every picture tells a story
« on: 08:36:11, 10/12/15 »

Discussions where to go for spring bank had been going on for some weeks. The favoured destination was Pembrokshire, on the thursday night prior to the BH holiday the phones were hot.

Weather looked dodgy down south but northern Scotland looked fine.

Twas a week of munro bagging, scrambling, climbing in glorious weather this photo was taken on the walk into Kilt Rock on Isle of Skye.

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
Re: Every picture tells a story
« Reply #1 on: 08:53:17, 10/12/15 »
Beautiful shot, lucky fella would love to go to skye scrambling

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 08:54:28, 10/12/15 »

I had been looking for a really good field of poppys for some time now they seem to be getting rare nowadays.

Anyhow I mistimed the rush hour traffic on my way home faced with sitting in a 2 mile tailback I took a rat run thro one of the small villages, Bingo.

A couple of nights later one of our midsummer evening walks just happened to pass a field of red and gold.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 17:49:29, 10/12/15 »
Beautiful shot, lucky fella would love to go to skye scrambling

Thanks it was a brill trip and we all got a lot of stuff done.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 17:54:14, 10/12/15 »

Dream of brown horses

This photo was one of my rejects from the trip to Lundy in August, I almost deleted it cos it was a bit dark. 

Couple of weeks ago we had the 2014 landscape photographer of the year as a guest speaker a guy called Mark Littlejohn he was superb, if you ever get chance to hear him speak or see some of his work go for it.
He lives in Penrith, retired from the police force and worked on the Ullswater steamers  for a few years so much of his work is taken in that area.

For fab shots of Ullswater/Penrith area check out his site http://markljphotography.co.uk/

Anyhow I was inspired so I looked back thro my many cast offs and found this pityfull underexposed number, 5 mins on Lightroom and its now a contender for the next comp.

Trenchfoot

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:14:15, 10/12/15 »
Love it  O0 - and to think you almost deleted it!!!
roll on the weekend

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 11:30:21, 11/12/15 »
Love it  O0 - and to think you almost deleted it!!!

Thanks!! Hate to think how many others I have deleted

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 11:32:26, 11/12/15 »

The girls in front of Pinnacle Ridge

The plan was to do Pinnacle Ridge on An Tealach one of Scotlands finest, up there with the Aonach Eagach, Traverse of Liathach etc.

It was a long route in full winter conditions even tho it was April we still needed an early start so I got the group up early for breakfast. Then they just had to go to the dorms to pick there gear that had been prepared the night before.

4 of us were waiting for Jane at the bottom of the stairs for 20 mins, so I asked Carol to go up and see if she was ok.

Carol came back and reported Jane is fine she is just straightening her hair with her tongs she will be 10 mins.
Had to abandon the original plan and take an easier route to do the 2 munros on An Tealach.- Still an awesome day.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:26:29, 13/12/15 »

Last couple of years we don't seem to have had many misty mornings, I certainly have not had much opportunity to photograph many. On several occasions we set off from home in thick mist only to break out into brilliant sunshine at our prefered destination.

This autumn when at long last we got a foggy spell we were out walking with the camera in a flash.

This shot was taken on a local walk in Studley Deer Park.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 22:02:51, 13/12/15 »
Midweekmountain

A very atmospheric photo with beautiful colours
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 15:53:50, 15/12/15 »
Midweekmountain

A very atmospheric photo with beautiful colours

Thankyou

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:30:27, 15/12/15 »

Have been some absolutey 'crakin' landscape photos on this site recently so as scrambling has been hitting the headlines one way or another here is an action shot for a bit of a change.

Its Chockstone ridge on Grey Crags in Birkness Combe, Buttermere its given 3***'s in the Evans guide and IMHO its the best scramble I have done to date in the Lakes.

Once you get to Grey Crags, the first section of the route is called Harrow Buttress starting from the toe of the buttress, then you descend a diagonal gully that takes you to the start of Chockstone Ridge which is simply delightfull passing a gendarme before moving out onto the front of the face to finish.

This deposits you at the foot of the headwall which despite its steepness has an easy route up it.
One reason I think Grey Crag is such a good venue is that it has at least 5 south facing buttress's dotted about the hillside, each buttress has several routes of various grades giving you a choice of many independant routes PLUS an even greater number of mix'n'match combinations to get to the summit of High Stile.

The Bestest thing of all is that the summit of High Stile is only a few metres away from the finish of the scramble.

I love this walk once you get onto High Crag you follow one of the top ridges in the Lakes, which gives you a perfect view of where you have been scrambling, onto High Crag then Haystacks.

If you are felling fit you can do another superb scramble on Round Howe.

AND....... if you have still not had enough you can traverse round onto Fleetwith Pike and follow the arete down which has to be one of the most impressive forrtpath in the Lakes.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 10:16:39, 16/12/15 »

the idea of getting up very early to start a walk at 8.0 in the morning in the winter makes me shudder anyway.

I am woken by a foot, blinking in the dim light, a cup of tea is shoved in my hand, its 04.30 am and we are in the very 'basic' Scottish Mountaineering Club Ling Hut at Torridon.

A February pre dawn start sees us walking out of the hut door up the path between Liathach and Ben Eighe as dawn broke Ben Alligan came into view.

Wow!!!!       I am mesmerised as all of the eastern sky pinks up over Ben Alligan and reach for my camera.

It was well worth making the effort today.

This day went on to become one of my best days ever in the hills but that is another story......

Rhino

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:07:20, 16/12/15 »
That last picture looks amazing  O0

I cant keep track of all the routes you mention and dont know which one to attack first  ;D
I do most of my walking starting with early starts, i like to be drinking by mid afternoon wherever possible  O0
Wainwrights Completed 12/12/15

ljmeerkat75

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 13:50:41, 16/12/15 »
Fantastic photos mwm especially the last one definitely worth getting up early in the morning for!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy