Author Topic: Middle Black Clough Waterfall  (Read 10979 times)

Granty

• Veteran Member
Middle Black Clough Waterfall
« on: 21:59:16, 14/07/10 »
Hello all,

Been a while I must admit. Been too busy sorting new car out and what not, I thought well here's my chance to get away for a few days to the Lakes, try out my new car see how everything is etc etc....then it rained and rained and rained...so I had to stick to the Peak District I'm afraid.

Anyway not all was lost, I went in search of a very little known waterfall (again it seems) near Woodhead, Bleaklow. It is in Middle Black Clough and if you google about you won't find much about I guarantee! Luckily when I arrived in the lay by, I only had to wait 10 minutes for the rain to stop lashing it down and it gave me about a hours window before it came down heavy again (just as I got back to the car)

Now the reasons why this soon became apparent, it wasn't easy to find and not being sure I was going the right way there was a lot of scrambling on a path that was only just visible and it was very slippy too! Once I got to the waterfall, I had the task of getting up close, again not easy when once you got there you could pretty much only walk on the rock which was covered in green! No wonder not many have photographed it!

I've come up with these two efforts, I tried many angles, well as many as I could without falling over and these are two I am most happy with!

and...

Unfortunately not my greatest efforts it would seem but I'm still fairly pleased. It may warrant a revisit some day.

Cheers for looking,

Granty

Check out SLP Photography Derbyshire Wedding Photographer

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
Re: Middle Black Clough Waterfall
« Reply #1 on: 22:47:29, 14/07/10 »
That brings back a few memories. Used to take the kids for a day out round that area - paddling in the river and generally exploring, going futher and further up the valley each time and eventually, one day, scrambling up to see the waterfall. For some reason it always seemed rather dark and foreboding in that immediate area. But lovely photos  O0
I prefer the folly of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom. (Anatole France)

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:50:43, 14/07/10 »
Thank you - it is very dark in there!

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:52:19, 14/07/10 »
New car Granty???  :-*
Anyway...fantastic shots btw, thanks  O0
take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:03:36, 14/07/10 »
Nice one Granty - did you have a polarizer on for the water?

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:11:49, 14/07/10 »
Yes new car Susie....something a little more economical lol! Means I can go do plenty of trips now!!!! Its what I needed in all fairness.

Pete: No polariser, chose an overcast day for that reason, used half a second shutter speed. I was looking for a 77mm polariser to replace my old one and was going to get some stepping rings, nearly choked at the price! Once my cheque has come through for a photo I'll be buying some Lee Filters though.

yorksgal

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:15:15, 14/07/10 »
Nice pics, the 1st is my fave but I just love waterfalls anyway  O0 

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 00:44:45, 15/07/10 »
I dunno why you dont rate these as much as usual, i think the first one is as good as anything you ve ever done! The contrast in colours is superb too and it all has a very ethereal look to it, a bit like lightning but made out of water if that dont sound too daft.... gald to hear you gettin paid for your art too   O0 O0 O0
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 00:49:10, 15/07/10 »
I dunno why you dont rate these as much as usual, i think the first one is as good as anything you ve ever done! The contrast in colours is superb too and it all has a very ethereal look to it, a bit like lightning but made out of water if that dont sound too daft.... gald to hear you gettin paid for your art too   O0 O0 O0

Thanks Dave, up late aren't you?!

Its taking off now mate. Just won the Peak District competition (in exhibition) and will be in Derbyshire Life in September. I won't forget you guys if it goes even further dont worry!

What annoyed me about this place was I think it was popular with city boys, especially near black clough. Lots of cans (mainly beer), litter and fires everywhere. Such a shame for a secluded spot. In all fairness I think I was followed up as a Hilux with someone in army gear went up after me and then as he saw me on my way back 5 minutes later he came by me.

Highfieldbri

« Reply #9 on: 10:49:39, 15/07/10 »
Not only are they very good photos, but the way you've presented them is excellent too  O0

Bri

amnesiacjimmy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:25:39, 15/07/10 »
[quote author=Granty
Its taking off now mate. Just won the Peak District competition (in exhibition) and will be in Derbyshire Life in September. I won't forget you guys if it goes even further dont worry!
[/quote]
that is superb Granty!! Nice to hear success story esp when I know the person O0 O0 O0 i know how much you put into it too, gettin up at the crack of dawn etc etc to get that one shot. Long may it continue mate  O0 [/quote]
12 songs enjoy while posting and browsing on 'ere  :)   http://tinyurl.com/3rd9vey -

More stuff on Itunes:   http://tinyurl.com/3phvnla

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:59:53, 04/08/10 »
I know this place so well. Thankyou for adding these photo's. I'll be using them as a screensaver lol.  :)  Have you enhanced them as they look great?
R.I.P. Dave.

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 18:26:18, 04/08/10 »
Thanks all again.

Yeti - Its a great place and nice and hidden, you cant find many photos on it which is great. As regards to adjustments, its a tough question. All photos need slight adjustments, especially when shooting in RAW. How close to natural is another question, I try to keep it as I saw it and as real looking as possible.

I think as it has been mentioned other places, what brought the colour out on this day though was the fact it had just rained so everything was dripping with nice reflective water and the sun had just started to break through, plus I find long exposures tend to bring the colour and detail out a little more.

yeti

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:42:30, 04/08/10 »
Don't care really they look great O0 . So many people use photoshop or airbrusing techniques to add colour. I'm old school and amature working with 36mm, so what you see is what you get...however I would progress onto digital, as I would save a fortune in developing. lol. I have had use of some digital cameras, but I do like the surprise of the end up stage. I will convert in time. I've got to get rid of my betamax first...
I'm too slow with technology. ;D
R.I.P. Dave.

Granty

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:46:07, 04/08/10 »
Don't care really they look great O0 . So many people use photoshop or airbrusing techniques to add colour. I'm old school and amature working with 36mm, so what you see is what you get...however I would progress onto digital, as I would save a fortune in developing. lol. I have had use of some digital cameras, but I do like the surprise of the end up stage. I will convert in time. I've got to get rid of my betamax first...
I'm too slow with technology. ;D

Haha I'm from an age of digital - I only got my first camera just under 2 years ago, but the advantages just far outweigh the cons, especially for low light and processing. I wouldn't be half as good as I am (not saying that in a big headed way I promise!) if I was on film, because I couldn't experiment as much!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy