Author Topic: How to get to Glen Brittle/the Fairy pools from Loch Coruisk  (Read 4644 times)

JamesPowell

Hello! A couple of friends and I are going to be going to the Isle of Skye for a couple days in June. Due to limited time, we want to do as much as possible in one day. Two places that we want to go are Loch Coruisk and the Fairy Pools near Glen Brittle. I was thinking that we could take a boat to Coruisk, and then hike to the Fairy Pools or Glen Brittle. I was wondering if such a hike is possible without rock climbing equipment. If possible, what would be the best rout to take? Is it possible to get to Glen Brittle via the coast? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much for all your help!

Cheers,

James Powell
« Last Edit: 06:30:44, 13/05/16 by JamesPowell »

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
Well, that would be an interesting day out. :) Considering that the locations are on opposite sides of the Main Ridge.  Also the difficulties of having transport at Elgol, the boat base, and then finishing the day in Glen Brittle?
I have used the Druim nan Ramh ridge from Coruisk to reach the three Bidean tops when I was a lad.  The terrain from there towards Bruach na Frithe and Harta bealach is possibly reasonable for getting down to the pools. Never have dropped down from there or been to the pools only passed bye on my way to Gillean on the traverse of the ridge.

JamesPowell

I am not too sure how reliable the schedule is, but there seems to be a bus that arrives in Elgol at 9:20ish, and then the boat ride to the Loch takes about 20 minutes (?) We only have two full days on the Isle, so we are trying to make the most out of them! Do you think it would be easier to hike to Glen Brittle first and then to the pools?

Owen

• Veteran Member
I have crossed the other way from Glen Brittle to the river Coruisk via the Bealach Coire na Banachdich Grid NG 443217 very steep scree slopes both sides but no climbing kit needed. Crossing from Coruisk this would bring you out by the SYHA in Glen Brittle and a long walk south of the Fairy pools. I don't know of any other crossing that would any easier so it's not really do-able in one day. Fairy pools are nice but very popular, years ago before there was a car park and signposted footpath you could skinny dip there no problem, it gets far too crowded for that now. Really their only a ten minute walk from the road so wouldn't take up that much of a day. On the other hand you could spend a week or more around Loch Coruisk.   

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Hello! A couple of friends and I are going to be going to the Isle of Skye for a couple days in June. Due to limited time, we want to do as much as possible in one day. Two places that we want to go are Loch Coruisk and the Fairy Pools near Glen Brittle. I was thinking that we could take a boat to Coruisk, and then hike to the Fairy Pools or Glen Brittle. I was wondering if such a hike is possible without rock climbing equipment. If possible, what would be the best rout to take? Is it possible to get to Glen Brittle via the coast? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you very much for all your help!

Cheers,

James Powell

I'm not gonna bite

JamesPowell

Thank you very much Owen! How long did it take you to cross over the Bealach Coire na Banachdich? I think that is the rout I would most likely take as it seems to be the easiest. Do you know if it is possible to go around the coast? I would just like to see if there is another rout we could take if the weather becomes troublesome.

Owen

• Veteran Member
From the campsite at the end of the Glen Brittle road maybe 2 - 3 hours up to the Bealach, then something like another 1 - 2 hours down to the start of the Dubh ridge which is the way we came back. The ridge starts about halfway along the west shore of Loch Coruisk. You definitely do need climbing equipment for the Dubh ridge.

There is a sort of vague path from the Glen Brittle campsite to Coruisk, it's not good, very indistinct and a real bog trot. There's a better path from Elgol to Coruisk, there's a short scrabble at the "bad Step" http://donthaveone-owen.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/the-naughty-step.html  but the rest is ok. 

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Thank you very much Owen! How long did it take you to cross over the Bealach Coire na Banachdich? I think that is the rout I would most likely take as it seems to be the easiest. Do you know if it is possible to go around the coast? I would just like to see if there is another rout we could take if the weather becomes troublesome.

It can't be too bad Bear Grylls didi  it in a one hour program tee hee

Without knowing your ability and experience the only safe way I would advise you go to Coruisk and Glen Brittle in one day is to catch a boat to coruisk and back then drive round to Glen Brittle. You have plenty of light in a June day and it will be quicker than walking.
« Last Edit: 14:10:52, 15/05/16 by midweekmountain »

vizzavona

• Veteran Member
Hello,
Sound advice from MM after my attempt to dissuade  :)
Dare I suggest that you would find the Harvey Superwalker XT25 map useful...with scales of 1:25,000 and on the other side 1:12,500.  Very good maps.  All we had was the 1:10,000? SMC map which was a kind-of  'line drawn map' of the Cuillin with which to find our way about while staying at the refuge at Loch Scavaig, the place where your trip on the Elgol boat will land you.  In the 1960's the way that we reached the Coruisk area was by the track over to Camasunary and then around the coast to the magnificent sanctuary. :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Hi James

I was up in that area for one day a week or so back.  Stunning place even buy Skye's high standards.  Be sure to get to the top of a little hill called Am Mam.  The views are world class. 

All the above taken by simply spinning on the spot.

Here is a link to a blog I wrote on a car forum I also frequent.  Hope you enjoy it. 

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=87604

Have a good one.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy