Author Topic: Kinder Scout/Grindsbrook Clough  (Read 2197 times)

loopysarah81

Kinder Scout/Grindsbrook Clough
« on: 08:54:18, 19/08/19 »
Hey!

I didn’t make it up the Llanberis path, Snowdon, earlier this year because there was a section about ¾ up of gravel/skree my silly brain deemed too steep. If I feel I might slip/fall I freeze and slowly bend my knees like I want to be on the floor.

I have been looking at Kinder Scout and see a lot of talk regarding the steep scramble ascent of grindsbrook clough. I have never done scrambling officially – but as I understand it that means having to put your hands down in simple terms? Is that right?

I know your answers will only be relative to how you feel about it… but I have looked at pics and a couple of videos and I think I can comfortably do it? Like climbing rocks on a beach? Or are the pics not doing it justice? I have improved my range with walking poles and I am ok clambering over rocks on a beach with my hands.
Thanks in advance.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
Re: Kinder Scout/Grindsbrook Clough
« Reply #1 on: 12:25:08, 19/08/19 »
Hey!

I didn’t make it up the Llanberis path, Snowdon, earlier this year because there was a section about ¾ up of gravel/skree my silly brain deemed too steep. If I feel I might slip/fall I freeze and slowly bend my knees like I want to be on the floor.

I have been looking at Kinder Scout and see a lot of talk regarding the steep scramble ascent of grindsbrook clough. I have never done scrambling officially – but as I understand it that means having to put your hands down in simple terms? Is that right?

I know your answers will only be relative to how you feel about it… but I have looked at pics and a couple of videos and I think I can comfortably do it? Like climbing rocks on a beach? Or are the pics not doing it justice? I have improved my range with walking poles and I am ok clambering over rocks on a beach with my hands.
Thanks in advance.

There are different grades of scrambling...from easy stuff where you might feel bit more secure if you put your hands down to something just below mountaineering, where most people would need ropes, etc to get through.

If Grindsbook Clough really is a scramble it is a very easy one...I suspect a fair number of people could get up it without using hands, coming down I could see being a bit trickier.

Dread

« Reply #2 on: 12:52:19, 19/08/19 »
I went up last year and i used my hands to steady myself for the last few metres and that's it. The rocks are loose and can be very wet. I never felt in danger and was not in any way pulling myself up.. Popping up from Grindsbrook onto the Kinder Scout plateau is a magical moment.

loopysarah81

« Reply #3 on: 13:31:21, 19/08/19 »

There are different grades of scrambling...from easy stuff where you might feel bit more secure if you put your hands down to something just below mountaineering, where most people would need ropes, etc to get through.

If Grindsbook Clough really is a scramble it is a very easy one...I suspect a fair number of people could get up it without using hands, coming down I could see being a bit trickier.

Thank you so much Paul! Yes I read going up is better than coming down so hopefully my research is going in the right direction! Thank you

loopysarah81

« Reply #4 on: 13:32:57, 19/08/19 »
I went up last year and i used my hands to steady myself for the last few metres and that's it. The rocks are loose and can be very wet. I never felt in danger and was not in any way pulling myself up.. Popping up from Grindsbrook onto the Kinder Scout plateau is a magical moment.

Hi Dread

Thanks for that! yes it looks magical! I love a breath taking view and I am hoping we get a few on our walk if i can make it up the clough! Starting to feel optimistic now! :-)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:02:30, 19/08/19 »
I don't know the Llanberis path well enough to compare them, it is a VERY long time ago but I don't remember any scrambling. In Grindsbrook if you slip you are going to graze your knee not go plummeting to your death off the edge of a cliff.

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:05:50, 19/08/19 »
I have been looking at Kinder Scout and see a lot of talk regarding the steep scramble ascent of grindsbrook clough.

I don't know who was doing the talking but there is no grade-worthy scrambling on Grindsbrook Clough, at least via the path. I guess if you went off-path seeking out some mild scrambling you might find it, I can't remember now.
Many people refer to scrambling when they mean just a typical steepish rocky path.

That said, if the Llanberis path caused some consternation for you then all bets are off!.  :)

JerryW

« Reply #7 on: 19:54:12, 21/08/19 »
Just got back from a week in Edale .. including going up Grindsbrook Clough. It is steep near the top but scrambling, no. With care anyone reasonably fit can do it safely. Crowden Clough is another matter altogether. Only for the experienced, especially if you are coming down it.
As an aside, there are lots of ways up onto the Kinder Plateau that are very easy indeed. For example, follow the Pennine Way out of Edale and after 200yds or so bear right on the path that leads up to Grindslow Knoll. A steady climb with not a rock in sight and there you are! And also the easiest way down.. it's marked on 1:25k OS map
I love the outdoors, and will be out there, while I can :-)

jonathand

« Reply #8 on: 08:51:57, 28/08/19 »
Hi,

There is an easy grade 1 scramble near the top of the grindsbrook path. Just as the main path starts it's final steep rough section onto the plateau, there's a right turn onto a path that follows the right branch of the stream (right hand when looking up) and you can see a narrowing clough when you look along it. The path turns into a scramble - I think the difficulty of this would be more than you are looking for. It's easiest when bone dry, harder when the stream is flowing (the easiest steps are in the bed of the stream in places).  If you follow the left path, it's steep and rough, but not a scramble, as others have said. I do tend to use my hands in places, though, and it feels steeper coming down.

A couple of asides: part way up the right hand branch (the scramble route), as the "gorge" narrows,  there's a scramble up a small waterfall on the left wall - I've never tried this, but it's definitely harder -I didn't like the look of it when I had a quick look in the summer (I think it's winter grade II when frozen). The scramble in Crowden clough is a bit more serious,  as has also been said -there's a 8 metre (?) steep section by a waterfall (again slightly easier when dry as can go up the stepped waterfall). A slip here would be serious. There is also a path which heads off to the left up on to the plateau before the scramble starts (to do the scramble you would need to follow the stream closely).

Jon.
« Last Edit: 11:34:00, 28/08/19 by jonathand »

djaphoto

« Reply #9 on: 15:58:14, 21/10/19 »
As per a few replies above I did Kinder last week and only went down Grindsbrook but from what I saw the main path didn't offer what you'd class as scrambling.

It's a damn fun route nonetheless and next time I shall be going up it instead and also taking a look at Crowded too

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy