Author Topic: What I dislike about hiking and camping.  (Read 2518 times)

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: What I dislike about hiking and camping.
« Reply #15 on: 22:47:02, 04/05/19 »
 :D   and those gate latches that make you feel like you're competing in an episode of the Krypton Factor to work out how to open them  ;D

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 22:47:43, 04/05/19 »
I feel your pain

It sucks doesn't it  :(

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 22:59:46, 04/05/19 »
Stiles that wobble and have no high pole to hold onto to steady yourself as you go over them.

Jim Parkin

« Reply #18 on: 08:31:14, 05/05/19 »
Getting cold hands from handling metal tent poles whilst breaking camp on a frosty morning - sure to put me in a bad mood!

Experienced similar in a minor way this morning whilst timekeeping at the Kirkwall Parkrun - the north wind was VERY cold, and I had to keep busy with the stopwatch. Poundland gloves not up to it!
I sometimes take my fingerless cycling mits for doing stuff in the cold - or even scrambling.  They protect the palm of the hand and allow nearly full dexterity. 

No good for the parkrun, but better gloves could work there.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 08:40:36, 05/05/19 »
In the scheme of things, mine is a pretty minor gripe, Jim
« Last Edit: 09:10:04, 05/05/19 by richardh1905 »
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Jim Parkin

« Reply #20 on: 12:47:53, 05/05/19 »
True Richard, but I have found that approach significantly decreased my annoyance

mow1701

« Reply #21 on: 18:13:01, 06/05/19 »
Kissing Gates that are too small to get through with your pack :( . Case for the prosecution is the first kissing gate as you leaves Hawes on the Pennine Way heading north.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 19:02:26, 06/05/19 »
Another thing I dislike, is it something that only happens to me? I am always amazed by how easy for me to lose something inside my rucksack, or inside my tent! I get myself organised and then think "where did I put that?" So frustrating having to go through everything again and then have to reorganise all over again!

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 21:32:36, 06/05/19 »
I dislike the way hiking leads you in to a false sense of security about your calorie intake, so you go for a walk and then think
'Of course I deserve chocolate and salted caramel tart for pudding'.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 23:06:38, 06/05/19 »
Kissing Gates that are too small to get through with your pack :( . Case for the prosecution is the first kissing gate as you leaves Hawes on the Pennine Way heading north.

Oh, yes! There's a high one in a stone wall on the North Wales Path above Llanfairfechan. It is absolutely impossible to fit both yourself and your ruckasack in. A closed top prevents you from holding it on top of your head (if you're that desperate). I had to hoist my pack up onto the top of the 2 metre height wall and get it to balance there without falling down, before going through and pulling it down from the other side.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 23:56:16, 06/05/19 »
I dislike the way hiking leads you in to a false sense of security about your calorie intake, so you go for a walk and then think
'Of course I deserve chocolate and salted caramel tart for pudding'.
Yes, but then I would probably eat the chocolate anyway. So the walk can only help.  ;)

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 09:43:38, 07/05/19 »
Going along the edge of a field to the gate in the corner into the next field, and finding the whole area is a swamp of mud and cow dung. Trying to figure a way to proceed. Cling onto a wire fence and edge my way along. Try some stepping stones already put there, can my legs stretch from one to the other, will I slip off. Look further along the hedge or wall, is there another place I can cross.

Once I fell off a stepping stone, lost my balance with a big rucksack, splat in the shiiiiite. Another time I looked around for more stones to add to those already there. Picked up a big rock and lobbed it in, splat the shiiiite came up and hit me full frontal, and sank below the water level.  :-[   ::)   >:(

ilona

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 09:58:48, 07/05/19 »
Falling in '[censored]' trying to do exactly the same thing as you. Something I've done more than once! I'm convinced that cows gather at stiles deliberately, make as much mud and poo areas as they can, then move to another area of the field laughing their socks off! Just their way of getting their own back on us humans.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy