Author Topic: Replace Fibre Glass Tent pole  (Read 1521 times)

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Replace Fibre Glass Tent pole
« on: 14:23:53, 10/09/20 »
My little cheap coffin tent, much adapted is OK for the type of overnights I do.

However I have had to replace the 8mm fibre glass pole twice and am now due to do so again.

Not hugely expensive and not uncommon in any quality of tent from what I read in many, many reviews.

So, my question is, if I were to purchase aluminium poles, would I need to buy a pre formed arch,
 or would the thinner straight tubing bend into an arch easily without kinking.
 Or should I just replace the fibre glass as is and carry the repair splints and gaffa tape as per normal.
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Replace Fibre Glass Tent pole
« Reply #1 on: 14:53:56, 10/09/20 »
Speculating here, is carbon fibre an option?  It might be lighter and longer lasting. 
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:08:24, 10/09/20 »
If you decide to buy aluminium poles and if they need to be pre-curved then I can offer my experience because this happened to me. In my innocence I tried to bend a tube and it just snapped in two. I eventually solved the problem by filling the tube with sand and then buying a tube bender from a shop like B & Q, that worked fine and my poles are still working well today.

In the end I bought the tube plus the end sections from a German company. I couldn't find a UK one at the time.

If you decide on this route the tube bender is about £15, or you can let me know and I can post mine to you. All I ask if for you to pay the postage both ways.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:11:46, 10/09/20 »
Speculating here, is carbon fibre an option?  It might be lighter and longer lasting.
Have thought about it but sourcing trustworthy quality and cost have sort of put me off.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:15:59, 10/09/20 »
If you decide to buy aluminium poles and if they need to be pre-curved then I can offer my experience because this happened to me. In my innocence I tried to bend a tube and it just snapped in two. I eventually solved the problem by filling the tube with sand and then buying a tube bender from a shop like B & Q, that worked fine and my poles are still working well today.

In the end I bought the tube plus the end sections from a German company. I couldn't find a UK one at the time.

If you decide on this route the tube bender is about £15, or you can let me know and I can post mine to you. All I ask if for you to pay the postage both ways.
Ha, I knew about the warm sand trick and already have pipe benders. As usual you are kindness personified, thanks for the offer.

I was just wondering  if such thin tubing may just naturally bend. 

The other thing that works is cutting plywood to the required arc shape and using it as a former to pull in the warm sand filled tubes gently with G type clamps. Did that successfully with some 37mm aluminium in a very long ago former time of stupidity.
« Last Edit: 16:20:11, 10/09/20 by jimbob »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:55:33, 10/09/20 »
Be careful about bending aluminium tent poles - I suspect that whether you get away with it or not depends upon the quality of the pole.

How long is the pole, by the way? My suspicion is that if fibreglass will bend to the radius, then aluminium will too.

PS - Lightwave sell high quality DAC spare poles for their tent range for £25 a shot - I suspect that it would be easy to shorten to the required length.

https://www.lightwave.uk.com/shop/tent-poles

PPS - I have a Lightwave tunnel tent, and the straight front hoop poles are bent to a pretty tight radius when I pitch it. No failures yet!

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 18:04:42, 10/09/20 »
Thanks Richard, so your straight aluminium poles bend to the arc required when needed. That sounds like exactly what I want. Worth paying a bit extra to save the hassle of bending them.
I 'll have a look to see if there are any reviews on YouTube just to see how tight an arc those tents are
Many thanks.  O0
« Last Edit: 00:23:18, 11/09/20 by jimbob »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:14:12, 10/09/20 »
It will depend upon the radius of course jimbob.

Birdman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:19:54, 10/09/20 »
Personally I would not bend the poles myself. You may end up with a weakened pole that then snaps on your next rainy camping night. I would just try to get a proper aftermarket one.
My travel and walking reports: https://www.hikingbirdman.com/

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:44:14, 10/09/20 »
It will depend upon the radius of course jimbob.
I saw the "straight pole" on you tube on the Sigma lightwave. Quite an arc on that. So thanks Richard, will measure my fibre glass poles and have a chat with the company tomorrow.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:21:19, 10/09/20 »
Good luck, Jimbob.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:29:41, 10/09/20 »
My Zephyros One tent has straight poles which bend into an arc across the main body. I snapped one pole a couple of years ago when camping on Hexham racecourse. My own fault, I didn't realise at the time that when wet (it was condensation) inside the tent nylon tube that the aluminium has to pass through the two items just stuck together like glue, all slide ability was lost. No problems at all when the nylon and aluminium are dry.

My Marmot one-man tent will not work at all with straight poles, the curved sections are absolutely essential.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:34:05, 10/09/20 »
There are some good budget tents out there right now available for not a huge amount more than the cost of a couple of good quality poles. The Robens Arrowhead springs to mind.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 00:31:31, 11/09/20 »
There are some good budget tents out there right now available for not a huge amount more than the cost of a couple of good quality poles. The Robens Arrowhead springs to mind.
Mrs Jimbob would kill me if I bought a new tent. She has spent hours restitching the whole tent putting in a better zip which she acquired free. Adding extra tieouts etc. I resealed all the seams and fabsil everything when I get it out for the summer. So no, I don't think I'll be getting a new tent for a while, but if I do it would be either and Alpkit solo or an Alpkit hooped bivi. I  am a fairweather camper so don't need anything too fancy. At the moment a decent quality tent pole will satisfy me.

Stube

« Reply #14 on: 19:04:22, 11/09/20 »

Quote from: ninthace on Yesterday at 14:53:56<blockquote>Speculating here, is carbon fibre an option?  It might be lighter and longer lasting.
</blockquote> Have thought about it but sourcing trustworthy quality and cost have sort of put me off.

Do not consider carbon fibre for a tent hoop. In my experience they are more fragile than cheapo fibreglass poles and very little lighter than aluminium ones. Also stupidly expensive.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy