Author Topic: Family walks and distance  (Read 1757 times)

WendyWozEre

Family walks and distance
« on: 12:53:43, 18/06/12 »
We are fairly new to walking anyway, but we all love climbing and as much variety as possible.  My family consist of my boys (6 and 9), my quite unfit husband and me.  We haven't walked more than 4.5 miles so far, but I'm sure we could push it a bit more for the reward of beautiful scenery.
We've never been to Ireland but would love to go - where would you suggest are the best places for walking?  We want something challenging but, obviously not too trecherous!
Also, I've been having a look for walks in ireland and they all seem to be measured in time rather than distance.  This is quite frustrating - distance is measurable - time is subjective and my family are bound to take a lot longer.  Are there any good Irish walking websites that measure distance of walks?

map mad kedge

• Veteran Member
Re: Family walks and distance
« Reply #1 on: 17:11:15, 18/06/12 »
Hiya Wendy .... welcome to the forum .... we first went to Ireland when my 2 kids were 4 & 9, & we never walked much further than you ... plus it was often slow going, but we hit a rare thing in Ireland, a heat wave! So didn't mind the slow pace. On that occasion we were based near Kiillarny, County Kerry & it was stunning, beautiful mountains, lakes, & waterfalls (which the girls loved scrambling up) but we did struggle to find ROW's in Ireland & wish I'd (like you) had researched it better.

Wherever you go - ENJOY.
All I want for Christmas is peace of mind.

dannyt

« Reply #2 on: 21:44:02, 18/06/12 »
Hi Wendy,

Check coillteoutdoors.ie
Click on a county and it will give you a list of walks, with distance and map.

danny

WendyWozEre

« Reply #3 on: 20:48:22, 19/06/12 »
Killarny sounds great.  Just the sort of place my kids would love!  Thanks.
I've had a quick look at coillteoutdoors Danny.  I will have a proper look later - it looks really good - I can see myself being on there quite a while!

hikeview

« Reply #4 on: 08:58:22, 17/07/12 »
there are a couple of other sites, mountainviews[dot]ie and irishtrails[dot]ie are both useful, though the former is more oriented towards peaks. I live in Dublin so I have the Wicklow mountains very close by, which is a great spot for walking, consider Crone woods/Maulin for an easy walk and there are any number of walks around Glendalough.

I grew up on the Galty mountains in Tipperary, which also have the Comeraghs and Knockmealdowns close by, so that area is also a good spot.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy