Author Topic: Stoves  (Read 15609 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Stoves
« Reply #15 on: 17:06:28, 20/01/19 »
Avoid wood burners, it sounds great in theory, but the practicalities of finding burnable material in our wet environment makes it unrealistic.

And the potential dangers in periods of drought should not be ignored, either.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

zuludog

« Reply #16 on: 19:37:01, 20/01/19 »

And the potential dangers in periods of drought should not be ignored, either.

Plus you can't use them in a tent porch

Yorkshiremarv

« Reply #17 on: 09:20:06, 21/01/19 »
I still swear by my jetboil. Its not too heavy that id think of leaving it behind, it boils water in 2mins and is ideal for a quick cuppa, warms up soup samewise. I bought a little pan set which all fit inside each other and gives two pans and a frying pan, and for the 1st trial me and the wife had boiled pots and fillet steak whilst camped out in gregs hut. It always lights even in windy and wet situations and was a life saver when i did my pw in 2016, even dried out my socks with it.
"if in doubt, flat out"

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 09:33:41, 21/01/19 »
Yes I'm beginning to favour a jetboil  O0
Where there's a will ...

Yorkshiremarv

« Reply #19 on: 09:52:17, 21/01/19 »
Yes I'm beginning to favour a jetboil  O0
O0 O0
"if in doubt, flat out"

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 09:54:28, 21/01/19 »
... for the 1st trial me and the wife had boiled pots and fillet steak whilst camped out in gregs hut.

We call them 'shops'.
I have always found them very accommodating (and they do nice bread and excellent sausage rolls - and their vanilla-slices ………..)
I'm not sure I'd fancy setting up camp and cooking a steak in there tho' - a bit unfair on the other customers, particularly the smell of frying onions !!!!!

Yorkshiremarv

« Reply #21 on: 09:56:35, 21/01/19 »
O0 O0
75 quid at go outdoors, thats for the flash which is what i got. O0
"if in doubt, flat out"

Yorkshiremarv

« Reply #22 on: 09:59:51, 21/01/19 »

We call them 'shops'.
I have always found them very accommodating (and they do nice bread and excellent sausage rolls - and their vanilla-slices ………..)
I'm not sure I'd fancy setting up camp and cooking a steak in there tho' - a bit unfair on the other customers, particularly the smell of frying onions !!!!!
Didn't do onions, wife doesn't like them. ??? .
"if in doubt, flat out"

Maggot

« Reply #23 on: 15:47:01, 21/01/19 »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Highlander-Fastboil-Aluminium-Camping-1-1Litre/dp/B07CTK8FYL

or the JetBoil or Alpkit Jackal etc

Quick as a flash, self contained and clean and tidy.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 23:08:37, 22/01/19 »
Just been perusing the Yellowstone Flameless Cook flask available at £10.00.
Uses flameless heat sources which I know you have used in the past from previous posts.
This seems to be an update on their older flameless cook system.
Check out Action Hobbies though they are available on Amazon for a couple of quid extra.
Too little, too late, too bad......

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 06:55:29, 23/01/19 »
Good thought, thanks  O0
Where there's a will ...

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 18:01:58, 23/01/19 »
Just been perusing the Yellowstone Flameless Cook flask available at £10.00.
Uses flameless heat sources which I know you have used in the past from previous posts.
This seems to be an update on their older flameless cook system.
Check out Action Hobbies though they are available on Amazon for a couple of quid extra.

Is this based upon an exothermic reaction, similar to HotCans or self heating rations?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 18:52:10, 23/01/19 »

Is this based upon an exothermic reaction, similar to HotCans or self heating rations?
Probably. Look at You Tube reviews for Flameless Cook Flask. Brands I have found are Trekmates and Yellowstone..
As with all these things there are pros and cons. I like self heating rations. (No , I actually do like them) but Although using the same type of heat technology there the comparison ends as you can carry food that you actually prefer. In terrible weather you can cook in your tent.  As light as any of the jet boils but the heat packs do have a weight, but then so does a gas canister.Can carry water when not needed for heating stuff up, just a thoughtcan carry a warm drink for a long time. Heat packs seemingly work our at a just under two pounds per meal which is pricey, I think.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 18:59:01, 23/01/19 »

Thanks Jimbob. The heatpacks are pricey!

Kerosene for my Primus costs 60p/litre!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 19:31:49, 23/01/19 »
HI Richard. As stated pros and cons. Unless you want a Darwin award you couldn't use your kit inside your tent should the need arise.
I am sort of tempted to buy it to use mainly as a water flask with a couple of heat packs for emergency use. I tend to eat a hot meal in a pub or cafe and breakfast bars , scotch eggs and pork pies for all other meals.  I don't carry a stove. But then again I only go into the deep wilderness for a couple of days at most. I usually walk well beaten routes, I have found most lead to a pub somewhere.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy