Author Topic: Best 1 person bomb proof tent vote  (Read 18319 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Best 1 person bomb proof tent vote
« Reply #75 on: 07:34:07, 23/06/18 »

My twopenn'orth is the terra nova laser competition 2. I've put it through it's paces and it's stood strong and true. Love that tent and it weighs less than 1k

Would you recommend it for winter use?
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #76 on: 11:33:38, 05/07/18 »

I really fancy a Terra Nova Southern Cross for year round wild camping:

https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/southern-cross-1/

Looks absolutely bombproof.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #77 on: 13:06:15, 05/07/18 »
I was interested in the southern cross when I was looking last year, but I couldn't find anyone who actually had one in stock to look at. I went for a Trekkertent Phreeranger in the end. I still have the Tarptent Notch as well but that's quite a small inner space and it's a half mesh inner.
The standard inner on the Phreeranger is also half mesh, I ordered a solid fabric one for winter use, so now I have both.

marmottungsten

« Reply #78 on: 04:46:54, 06/07/18 »
I was interested in the southern cross when I was looking last year, but I couldn't find anyone who actually had one in stock to look at. I went for a Trekkertent Phreeranger in the end. I still have the Tarptent Notch as well but that's quite a small inner space and it's a half mesh inner.
The standard inner on the Phreeranger is also half mesh, I ordered a solid fabric one for winter use, so now I have both.

Quote from the Phreeranger page on the Trekkertent website: "The lighter 20d silpoly version (890 grams) is suitable for 3 season use, the 40d silnylon version (1250 grams) is more suited to all season use in UK conditions".  So you can have a four season version but it's a lot heavier.
« Last Edit: 04:50:59, 06/07/18 by marmottungsten »

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #79 on: 06:41:14, 06/07/18 »
Yawn ....  ::)
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #80 on: 07:05:25, 06/07/18 »
What ever,  ::) I'm off to Knoydart with it so I really don't have time for your silly arguments.
It's not what fancy swag you have, it's what you do with it that counts. O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #81 on: 07:44:02, 06/07/18 »
I totally agree Owen  O0 Enjoy your trip  :)
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #82 on: 08:21:29, 06/07/18 »
What ever,  ::) I'm off to Knoydart with it so I really don't have time for your silly arguments.
It's not what fancy swag you have, it's what you do with it that counts. O0

EXACTLY !

Strange that the people who obsess the most about lightweight gear don't post any trip reports....  ::)

P.S. - Enjoy Knoydart Owen; I look forward to reading about it. :)
« Last Edit: 08:25:24, 06/07/18 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #83 on: 08:24:34, 06/07/18 »

Quote from the Phreeranger page on the Trekkertent website: "The lighter 20d silpoly version (890 grams) is suitable for 3 season use, the 40d silnylon version (1250 grams) is more suited to all season use in UK conditions".  So you can have a four season version but it's a lot heavier.

Given that this is a thread about the "Best 1 person bomb proof tent", and that I camp in all seasons (and in wild places), I'd take the 4 season any day  ;)

PS - my modest budget 3 season tunnel tent weighs 2.1kg - doesn't stop me getting out there into the wilds.
« Last Edit: 08:29:36, 06/07/18 by richardh1905 »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #84 on: 08:32:56, 06/07/18 »

Interesting. How is it in high winds, Owen?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #85 on: 08:51:30, 06/07/18 »
PS - my modest budget 3 season tunnel tent weighs 2.1kg - doesn't stop me getting out there into the wilds.

Our MSR Elixir 2 is 2.3kg, not the lightest 2 man tent out there either  :) We manage to get out every weekend in it  :)

You should check out Andy Wardle on you tube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgKxNV8RwVZXOW9RCnp1vsA/videos?disable_polymer=1

He is a fellow north easterner who takes no notice of the ultralightweight police and carries what he wants to carry. His pack for a one nighter is 18kg, he likes comfort. He doesn't walk that far when he goes out camping, he does what he wants to do though, that is what is important.
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #86 on: 10:51:48, 06/07/18 »
Our MSR Elixir 2 is 2.3kg, not the lightest 2 man tent out there either  :) We manage to get out every weekend in it  :)

.....His pack for a one nighter is 18kg...

So I have noticed!  :)  The perfect way to spend a weekend.

My recent overnight pack was 11kg; I managed just fine on the climbs fitness wise but I did find that the pack inhibited me somewhat on rough steep ground, especially descending, and I would like to trim weight for that reason alone. But I'll not be spending megabucks just to save a few hundred grams.

I would happily carry more on easy ground; say for family backpacking - if I can persuade them to come!

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #87 on: 12:42:47, 06/07/18 »

Interesting. How is it in high winds, Owen?

Not tried it in winds yet, might get some this week.
Pack weight, about 7kg kit, 5 kg food for 7 days, + 1 Lt water. I like to keep the weight of the kit down so I can carry more food and travel for longer without stopping to go shopping.

Waiting for the ferry just now, no mobile coverage, no internet, no TV for a week, bliss.
« Last Edit: 12:48:59, 06/07/18 by Owen »

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #88 on: 17:37:43, 06/07/18 »

Not tried it in winds yet, might get some this week.
Pack weight, about 7kg kit, 5 kg food for 7 days, + 1 Lt water. I like to keep the weight of the kit down so I can carry more food and travel for longer without stopping to go shopping.

Waiting for the ferry just now, no mobile coverage, no internet, no TV for a week, bliss.
Have a great trip  O0
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

IanyZen

« Reply #89 on: 21:10:14, 24/07/18 »
Hi,
I have a terra nova laser ultra 1 person.
A bit pricy, but no complaints at all in all weathers - gives me peace of mind.
My dog thinks it's too small though.

Horses for courses - I think it's best to buy equipment from the makers in the country you are trekking - ie UK made stuff for UK conditions.
Ian & Zen
Good luck on your next adventure
Ian & Zen

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy