Author Topic: Plans for this year?  (Read 1964 times)

Owen

• Veteran Member
Plans for this year?
« on: 11:56:24, 27/02/19 »
So, where is everyone planning on walking this year?

My plans so far are a trip from Ben Macdui to Ben Nevis via Ben Alder and the Grey Corrie's over 7-8days in March/April.

A two week walk from Narvik in Norway to Kvikkjokk in Sweden in August.

Plus as many weekend trips as I can.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Plans for this year?
« Reply #1 on: 12:00:59, 27/02/19 »
C2C in June/July  O0
Where there's a will ...

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 12:20:10, 27/02/19 »
I make my plans as I go along. I am lucky in that work allows me to hike when good weather is forecast. I try to get out 3 or 4 times a month. I finds I create more routes on my OS app than I can ever walk but it is the planning that I find fascinating, so it doesn`t matter. :) . If global warming is actually here then I plan to make the most of it, as long as it has a positive impact on our climes. I appreciate it may not be all good though......
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:24:15, 27/02/19 »
Planned a C2C in May - first long distance trail since the achilles started playing up , so the fingers and crossed!

That Narvik trip looks interesting  O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:33:24, 27/02/19 »
Planned a C2C in May - first long distance trail since the achilles started playing up , so the fingers and crossed!

Hope the weather is good for your C2C. Are you going west to east?
Hate will never win

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 14:10:11, 27/02/19 »
Holiday plans are a cottage near Grasmere, when my son should complete his Wainwrights, and a cottage in the Welsh boarders right on the Offa's Dyke path.

zuludog

« Reply #6 on: 14:28:27, 27/02/19 »
I was ill for several months last year, then it was winter, and this year I picked up an awful dose of flu in January that took weeks to clear up. I'm only now starting to get out & about
So much will depend on my fitness, but nevertheless you've got to make some plans, and here they are -

I received two books on day walks around Pendle, Bowland, & Ribble Valley for Christmas, and I'll start working through them

I am in the Backpackers Club, and they have several meets for March & April, not least of which is the AGM

I have made plans to do the West Highland Way with a friend, starting on 9th May

My daughter & family live in Gloucester; I hope to visit her then walk back to Manchester. The route will include bits of the Severn Valley & the Staffordshire Way

I have done the Mary Townley Loop of the Pennine Bridleway. I'll try the rest of it, probably by section walking

I have yet to do a missing chunk of the Pennine Way, around Hawes & Tan Hill

Well, those are the possibilities, let's hope i can do most of them

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:43:04, 27/02/19 »
I've managed to get in a hike to Gran Canaria, I hope to walk to Edinburgh from Borrowdale in April and would like to walk in Europe one more time before March 29th. Not sure after that, I would still like to hike the GR5 from Lake Geneva to Nice, would even like to hike the GR11 in its entirety and would also love to hike the GR10 from Banyuls Sur Mere to Hendaye, so many hikes but so little time!

As regards UK hikes, nothing really grabs my fancy at the moment. I live on the coast, I see the sea every day, so I'm not interested in any coastal walks. I suppose I could hike those south of England walks that I either haven't done yet, or the ones I failed to finish?

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 16:12:31, 27/02/19 »
............….would like to walk in Europe one more time before March 29th.

Its looking like you may have reprieve (and many more months to walk in Europe before we actually get what was voted for).

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:39:14, 27/02/19 »
I do hope so! I do spend money, often quite happy to do so, but I balance this against me being silly with it. What bothers me most, is the thought of either losing my money, because of disruption to flights, or being stuck in some crazy, crazy queue, either waiting to fly out, or trying to fly back in. I think for me, the queue possibility is my worst option! I know I'm GUESSING about all this, but for the moment and until I know otherwise, I'm not going to book anything which involves leaving the country around that time.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 20:49:30, 27/02/19 »
Hope the weather is good for your C2C. Are you going west to east?

Thanks April, yes West East, with some old friends , could end up like Downhill All the Way!

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 09:20:43, 28/02/19 »
I make my plans as I go along...  I try to get out 3 or 4 times a month. I finds I create more routes on my OS app than I can ever walk but it is the planning that I find fascinating, so it doesn`t matter. .

That sounds like me - I have walks plotted on OS Maps in areas of the country I am unlikely to visit any time soon but, as well as the enjoyment of planning a route, I just find those maps (paper and on screen) so interesting and beautiful to look at.

I do have more realistic walks plotted within reasonable travelling distance but trying to follow my to-do list for 2018 didn't really work out. I still had some great walks though so I've decided to take a more relaxed approach to it this year.

MarkT

« Reply #12 on: 09:57:17, 28/02/19 »
My plans for trips away and/or even an LDW have been put on hold due to the company I work for going into Administration.

I'm supposed to be in The Lakes from this Wednesday for 10 days but due to the uncertainty I am unsure whether I will be going or not.

Fingers crossed the company is saved then Lakes here we come and hopefully the Norfolk Coast Path, later on in the year.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 10:11:10, 28/02/19 »
Bad luck Mark - I hope everything gets sorted.  Worrying times.

Paul

astaman

« Reply #14 on: 10:18:03, 28/02/19 »
I will continue my walk around the Shetland coastline. I've done a couple of hundred miles so far but a long way to go yet. I had a busy Winter and didn't get much done at all. I do it in day walks and overnighters but will do Yell, Unst and Fetlar (the most northerly isles) with the tent in one or two outings for each isle. Yell in particular has a very long coastline for its size.

My partner does sometimes come on day walks with me but has never done an LDP and has expressed an interest in walking the West Highland Way this summer. I have walked it a few times before either as a stand alone or part of a longer walk from Kirk Yetholm to Cape Wrath. I'd happily do it again though - unlike some walkers I don't actually mind meeting people. I think it is a good first LDP for someone who is an occasional rather than regular walker because it's got great views to hold the interest but isn't too demanding.

The alternative is that we rent a cottage in the Lake District for a week and walk and generally hang out there. She doesn't know the area so it would be a treat - we Shetlanders regard trees as exotic and exciting.

The big one if it comes off is the Wonderland Trail. I am going to America at some point in the summer and would love to extend my trip and manage a walk there. I have a friend who lives in Washington State, close to Mount Rainier and who could put me up and let me use her place as a base for a walk and also drive me in to a starting point and pick me up after. I've long wanted to do it. It's just under a 100 miles with a lot of ascent but doable in 7 to 9 days. It's wild country but very beautiful. I hope it doesn't erupt before then.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy