Author Topic: After a night in a tent do you feel good in the morning?  (Read 6423 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: After a night in a tent do you feel good in the morning?
« Reply #15 on: 18:03:17, 30/01/19 »
Thankfully camping out in the British wilderness does not pose such risk. OR DOES IT ?

There has of course been talk of re-introducing wolves to parts the Scottish Highlands.

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 18:09:26, 30/01/19 »

If i had been bursting for a pee, i recon i would have staid put.

Getting close to the wildlife is one thing, having them sniffing around your tent at night, is something else.

Thankfully camping out in the British wilderness does not pose such risk. OR DOES IT ?

I suspect, then, that if you had a badger snuffling about a couple of feet from your head in the middle of the night, as I once did, you would have wet yourself   :)

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 10:50:53, 31/01/19 »

There has of course been talk of re-introducing wolves to parts the Scottish Highlands.

Wolves aren't a problem to walkers, I had a pair pass by my tent during the night in Sweden. They very politely tiptoed by without disturbing me. I'd imagine sheep farmer wouldn't be quite so happy at their re-introductsion.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 11:38:45, 31/01/19 »
Indeed, Owen - attacks on humans are largely the stuff of Westerns. Personally, I would love to see them reintroduced to the remoter parts of the Highlands, not least because they would naturally control deer numbersr, but the wishes of the local communities are paramount.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

nick949

« Reply #19 on: 15:25:43, 03/02/19 »
Wolves would do a great job of controlling the Labrador and Golden Retriever population.  The first time someone sees Fluffy torn to pieces 'the public' will decide it was a bad idea after all. Scotland is too small and the wolves won't stay where it's hoped they will.

I love waking up in a tent - or more usually my 4 season hammock - but rise quickly and get moving. Those who linger over a leisurely breakfast clearly don't live in bear country. It's a unwise person who sleeps with edibles (or toothpaste etc.) in their tent.

Nick
Book: "Actually, I'm English: rediscovering my homeland on foot and by motorbike" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AGQIX1K)

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:33:24, 03/02/19 »
So, where do you live?

nick949

« Reply #21 on: 15:38:42, 03/02/19 »
So, where do you live?

Ontario - but I frequently hike in bear-free Britain, where, oddly I sleep like a baby  ;D
Book: "Actually, I'm English: rediscovering my homeland on foot and by motorbike" (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01AGQIX1K)

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 16:47:29, 03/02/19 »
Because I like to pack the miles in, a tent to me is simply a shelter so as to at least get some sleep, and not a place to linger. I take advantage of all daylight for walking, so set out early morning before sunrise and pitch at dusk or in the dark of night. i sleep in my clothes like others, pack my sack as much as possible, for the following day so as to avoid faffing after waking. After waking my routine is much the same as Gunwarfman, no brew or breakfast, just out of the tent pack what's left and away eating a few cereal type bars as I go, looking forward to sunrise.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 17:55:22, 03/02/19 »
It’s a long time since I used a tent. Mrs BFM isn’t a fan. I always found I slept very well in a tent after a long day’s walk. I remember several times in the French Alps stopping in the tent for a brief rest before walking into the nearest village for a beer and some food, only to wake up with the dawn chorus. I was young then, so the sleepiness couldn’t be put down to age.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 18:13:27, 03/02/19 »

Ontario - but I frequently hike in bear-free Britain, where, oddly I sleep like a baby  ;D

Interesting, do you get many Bear's there?

FTSTTLB

« Reply #25 on: 18:36:58, 03/02/19 »
I'm not a good sleeper anyway, so it's not that bad that I don't sleep that well in a tent either.I usually just stay there until my girlfriend is ready to rise and shine. Put on my clothes first and then prepare breakfast.
We usually camp in summer, so it gets hot rather fast, so we're usually out and about rather fast.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 19:11:33, 03/02/19 »
I'm wondering now how many people are talking about camping in a little lightweight tent and how many are talking about general camping in a reasonable-sized tent with a few accessories, 'cos when I've finished my backpacking walks, and also when the wife gives me permission to go away for a few days, I use an outsize camp bed with a 2-inch thick mattress topper and a pillow, and I sleep blissfully!

dank86

« Reply #27 on: 19:38:40, 03/02/19 »
There's always the cricks and creaks after a night in the tent but the camping mat I have now helps, also others will laugh at the idea but take a pillow! We are out there for enjoyment not torture little things make a huge difference.
Apart from physically though mentally I always feel amazing after a night out in a tent and that more than makes up for the joints being stiff

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 20:09:13, 03/02/19 »
a reasonable-sized tent with a few accessories, , I use an outsize camp bed with a 2-inch thick mattress topper and a pillow, and I sleep blissfully!
Geeze, carrying that sort of weight must put you on the stature scale of the Hulk. ;D ;D :D
I'm jealous.
Too little, too late, too bad......

nick949

« Reply #29 on: 20:15:51, 03/02/19 »

Interesting, do you get many Bear's there?

In our area (eastern Ontario) 25 black bears per 100 squ km.  More further north. Camp sensibly and they are never a problem. Blackflies and mosquitos - now they can be a real problem.
When I wild camp in the UK I don't spend a lot of time worrying about badgers and polecats  ;)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy