Author Topic: Welsh 3000's Challenge (Failed attempt)  (Read 5186 times)

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Welsh 3000's Challenge (Failed attempt)
« Reply #15 on: 14:01:55, 28/06/19 »

We actually ascended via Crib Goch and Crib y Ddysgl, before bagging Snowdon, our 3rd peak of the day; then descended via Cwm Glas Bach, which is very steep near the top.
Was Crib Goch in the dark, or did you wait until it was light?

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:02:26, 28/06/19 »
Was Crib Goch in the dark, or did you wait until it was light?

Set off from Pen-y-Pass at first light. But as it was June we had loads of daylight to play with.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 12:40:53, 01/07/19 »
The Cwm Glas route is recognised as the quickest way off the Snowdon range, if your after a very fast round of the 3000s.
Its the route used by both Joss Naylor and Colin Donnelly, but Colin reached the roadside of the Llanberis pass, from the top of Snowdon in an almost unimaginable 51minutes, having traversed all three summits.

According to Mr Claytons book, there's an even faster route, down the sheer gully just beyond the railway bridge at Clogwyn, but the route can be very tricky after heavy prolonged rain, as a lot of the lower section is on wet grass and rock.

Ive looked at the route from below, in upper Cwm Glass, and you can see the path snaking its way up the scree slopes, but its the middle section left of Llechog that theres any technicalities.

Its a route best left alone, and thankfully nobody is really aware of its existence, with countless thousands of walkers passing by it every year.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 12:48:43, 01/07/19 »
That's the route I've always used, never found it problematic. It's about 20 years since I last did the 3000's so it could have changed I suppose.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 22:34:02, 01/07/19 »
According to Mr Claytons book, there's an even faster route, down the sheer gully just beyond the railway bridge at Clogwyn, but the route can be very tricky after heavy prolonged rain, as a lot of the lower section is on wet grass and rock.

That's the way that I went down - Cwm Glas Bach. It is steep, and care needed near the top, but I didn't think it particularly dangerous.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 16:17:54, 16/07/19 »
The long standing record set by Colin Donnelly has now been broken
Finlay Wild from Lochaber in Scotland knocked nine minutes off the 1988 record, recording 4-10.

Remarkably he also set a new record for the Snowdon Horseshoe the same day, it took him just 1hr 20min.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 19:32:44, 16/07/19 »
The long standing record set by Colin Donnelly has now been broken
Finlay Wild from Lochaber in Scotland knocked nine minutes off the 1988 record, recording 4-10.

Remarkably he also set a new record for the Snowdon Horseshoe the same day, it took him just 1hr 20min.

https://www.thebmc.co.uk/finlay-wild-breaks-records-for-welsh-3000ers-and-snowdon-horseshoe

Here is the link. He has completed some amazing feats, but not my cup of tea.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 06:34:11, 17/07/19 »
Let’s hope there aren’t too many more attempts to run the Snowdon Horseshoe. It could all end in tears, or much worse. In my opinion, this isn’t a route for rushing along as fast as possible if you want a long life.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 07:44:47, 17/07/19 »
No, stand up on your two feet and run along the crest of the ridge is by far the easiest way of doing it.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 21:36:23, 17/07/19 »
No, stand up on your two feet and run along the crest of the ridge is by far the easiest way of doing it.

I have crawled across Crib Goch and walked along the crest (both directions), but wouldn’t run or rush.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy