Author Topic: Tents for one......and a dog.  (Read 5861 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: Tents for one......and a dog.
« Reply #15 on: 07:56:15, 24/09/19 »
Footprints a waste of time for wild camping, in my opinion. But others may disagree....
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 07:59:17, 24/09/19 »
Stormtex is just a brand name for Wild Country's polyester flysheet fabric - means nothing.

I do think that I ought to take another look at the Helm 1 myself - it does look like a tough little tent.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 08:11:31, 24/09/19 »
deleted
« Last Edit: 10:59:23, 24/09/19 by richardh1905 »

Man wae a dug

« Reply #18 on: 08:27:40, 24/09/19 »
Was hoping to wait for the sales and gain more info in the process, might need to rethink that.
A decision between weight/cost is needed I think, just want to make sure what I get will be sturdy and durable.

I’ve had the idea of filling my rucksack with weights to get an idea of what weight I’d be ok with, then working out a rough weight of the rest of the kit I’ll need......mind you those old timers seemed to manage ok before titanium pots and all that malarkey. Maybe I’m overthinking things here. :-\
Be ye man or bairn or wumman
Be ye gaun or be ye comin
For Scotlands pride no Scotlands shame
Gether yer litter and tak it hame!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 10:05:06, 24/09/19 »
My Marmot Pulsar 1P footprint is useful because when it's raining when I arrive on site it means I can erect the outer tent first and the inner second which then stays dry for me to get into. Mind you, my footprint is not essential, I can carry out the same procedure with two looped bit of string as well, strung between the pole ends. The poles just need tension on them to stay upright whilst I put the outer tent up.

There are some problems I can't solve unless I go on a spending spree, which I'm not about to. These are the weight of my rucksack, boots, tent items, the weight of my mattress, sleeping quilt, pillow and say 2L of water. They are a constant, its all the other stuff I carry which I can play around with, clothing, gadgetry, food, etc which can make the difference between carrying a heavy bag or a lighter one. My rule of thumb is to never carry more than two items of the same thing, baselayers, socks, underwear and so on. I don't cook en route so for me, that's a weight saving even before I walk out of the door.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 10:38:21, 24/09/19 »
I've just fired off an enquiry to Terra Nova asking them whether they have discontinued their Helm range of tents.

Be interesting to see what their response is.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 10:57:40, 24/09/19 »
Just received this from Terra Nova regarding the Helm range of tents, very fast response:

Unfortunately the Helm range tents are currently unavailable until the beginning of next year when the new season launches.The Helm isnt discontinued and will be included in next seasons tents. Im sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Kind Regards,Chev
Sales and Customer Service Team

Man wae a dug

« Reply #22 on: 11:17:06, 24/09/19 »
I'd be interested to know too.

Well, I've completed my 'scientific' research with barbell weights(!) into what I reckon I could carry for now and not grumble too much. Not including the 1.65Kg Lowe rucksack I just got, I'm thinking 15Kg (16.5Kg total) would be the limit, I could carry more but think I'd be wiped out pretty early. I'd aim for less obviously and would defo be looking to reduce it a fair bit before tackling the WHW.

That said, the 2.5Kg Makalu 2 would possibly be an acceptable weight I reckon, I've mailed Vango to find out the packed dimensions. For an extra £100 I could get the Nordisk Halland 2 at 1.5Kg though. Would that be a better, more robust option even though it's a tunnel?   :-\  Aaaaaaargh!!!!  Why do they make so many bloomin tents!!

The 50cm length of the Helm 2 (which is a preference at the moment) would fit in my pack but would probably mean I couldn't utilise the side entry as i'd like (planning to use that to access the tent in the rain without opening up the top).  Not sure if that could be a deal breaker or not.

Bloomin' 'ell I'm getting confused here.  :D

Quick response from Terra Nova there, always a good sign.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 11:19:49, 24/09/19 »
Everyone is different, but 15kg is quite a load, in my opinion. I carry about 11kg on shorter trips, and I've not got super lightweight gear.

Man wae a dug

« Reply #24 on: 12:01:17, 24/09/19 »
Yeah, It was only to give me a wee idea. Trying to tie in a number with how it feels on my back.

For now, as a very rough calculation if I want to come in around 11Kg; I reckon if i add 2 kilo for water, 2 for food and 1 for miscellaneous (map, compass, torch, glasses etc) I'll have around 5 Kg to play with for my tent, sleep system, stove and spare clothes. 

I'll have a look online at what I think I'll be getting later and add it all up to see where I'm at in terms of weight.

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 12:34:35, 24/09/19 »
Yeah, It was only to give me a wee idea. Trying to tie in a number with how it feels on my back.

For now, as a very rough calculation if I want to come in around 11Kg; I reckon if i add 2 kilo for water, 2 for food and 1 for miscellaneous (map, compass, torch, glasses etc) I'll have around 5 Kg to play with for my tent, sleep system, stove and spare clothes. 

I'll have a look online at what I think I'll be getting later and add it all up to see where I'm at in terms of weight.

Building up to my 1st Pennine Way walk I would practice using a 20 litre water carrier (in my rucksack) with ever increasing amounts of water until I was happy with it full (20kgs) and able to comfortably do 20 mile days.

My current '3-day rucksack' with 3-days food, clothes, tent, gadgets and everything comes in at 31 lbs (14kgs).

Man wae a dug

« Reply #26 on: 14:32:25, 24/09/19 »

My current '3-day rucksack' with 3-days food, clothes, tent, gadgets and everything comes in at 31 lbs (14kgs).

Alan,  what make of 'essential' kit do you carry (tent, bag, stove etc)? It might help give me an idea of what to be looking at.  No probs if it's a hassle to post it up, but no harm in asking. :) 

Tent is looking like a 2 horse race between the Makalu 2 @ 2.6Kg (more robust I reckon) and the Helm 2 @ 2.3Kg (half the price).

Helm - smaller footprint, much better porch option, better price and weight.
Makalu - larger footprint, smaller but workable (I think) porch looks to be the sturdier option and will allow outer first pitching as well as both together, handy if the outer is wet as it would let me pack the inner separately (keeping it dry). 

I'm getting closer to a decision! lol

Terra Nova, F10 and Nordisk all replied to my requests for info promptly. Kudos to all three.  O0

« Last Edit: 14:44:03, 24/09/19 by Man wae a dug »

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 16:02:03, 24/09/19 »
Makalu looks very like the Wild Country Trisar - I have an early version of the Trisar, it has been a good tent but it is showing it's age now.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 16:04:52, 24/09/19 »
I have to say that I have an aversion to tents that have a curved pole with a peak in them, as in the front pole of the F10 Makalu - a point of failure, in my experience. Or maybe I was just unlucky.

Man wae a dug

« Reply #29 on: 18:46:37, 24/09/19 »
I'm (possibly naively) working on the assumption all the tents have passed stringent quality controls.  It's actually the lack of info/reviews on the Makalu that is making me think twice (I've looked at a few for the Helm 2), that and the extra metre in length. I reckon finding a 2M strip of suitable land will be easier than a 3M one. 

225 cm interior length is the same on both, should be ok for a 6 footer.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy