Author Topic: unofficial montane spine/challenger  (Read 27400 times)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: unofficial montane spine/challenger
« Reply #15 on: 08:30:25, 07/01/20 »
For those interested Jasmine, winner of last years spine, has just published her blog of the race

https://jasminfellrunner.blogspot.com/2020/01/spine-race.html?fbclid=IwAR0b9RIciPO9K9z6fTifC3pWNI65H5tVK5ItqkpxvItubABKwW0tESp8L7Q&m=1
Where there's a will ...

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 09:39:08, 07/01/20 »
Thanks for posting the link, it's a good read.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:39:49, 07/01/20 »
A really good read to understand what is involved especially the sleep deprivation.  I have to take time off to sleep whilst they are still pushing themselves out on the hills.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 20:33:36, 07/01/20 »
 One to watch and a possible winner.

" The fastest marathon dressed as a videogame character is 2 hr 57 min 00 sec and was achieved by John Kelly (USA) at the Boston Marathon in Boston, Massachusetts, USA, on 18 April 2016."

He also won the 2017 100 mile Barkley marathon which is even tougher than the Spine.

forgotmyoldpassword

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 20:54:17, 07/01/20 »
Some of those comments from JP - you realise that people into that sort of distance running are their own breed.

'Since my time was limited I only managed 1.5hrs of running - every day of the week, waking up at 5am'

'My weekend runs were only 10 hours combined'

She's at the top of the trade but you realise there is a life of sustained early starts and weekend commitments to be that damn good.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 13:29:38, 08/01/20 »
A good read to get us in the mood for this year’s race. I had forgotten that Eugeni got as far as Hut 2. And Greg’s Hut and no noodle bar made me chuckle, I guess they may set up there earlier this year!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 15:19:19, 08/01/20 »
Massive field this year for all the Spine races. Eugenie will no doubt up front as usual and does stand a good chance of winning. He had a good lead on Eoin before disaster struck. he needs to wear better outer clothing if it gets really cold again especially if wet as well. I usually go to watch the first couple of days but can't this time so I too will be dot watching from the beginning. It will be very interesting for me, as I know several that, like myself, have retired quite early on in recent years and no doubt they will be out to lay the ghost to rest. This will be two years on the trot that Ive not been on the start line, but 2021??

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 16:01:17, 08/01/20 »
A good read to get us in the mood for this year’s race. I had forgotten that Eugeni got as far as Hut 2. And Greg’s Hut and no noodle bar made me chuckle, I guess they may set up there earlier this year!

He actually got beyond Hut 2, and the SST there (mine) thought he was fit to finish. Some said he withdrew as he didn't want to come second to Jasmin ...  :-\
Where there's a will ...

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 16:25:50, 08/01/20 »

He actually got beyond Hut 2, and the SST there (mine) thought he was fit to finish. Some said he withdrew as he didn't want to come second to Jasmin ...  :-\
Unfortunately there is always those that say those sort of things. He pressed his tracker emergency button. He got inside his bivvy bag but thought he was at home in bed, hypothermic and disorientated, everone was behind Jasmin.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 17:38:20, 08/01/20 »
Massive field this year for all the Spine races.
How do they cope at CP1.It must be very difficult for anyone who is trying to get a few hours sleep.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 20:09:39, 08/01/20 »
For those interested Jasmine, winner of last years spine, has just published her blog of the race

https://jasminfellrunner.blogspot.com/2020/01/spine-race.html?fbclid=IwAR0b9RIciPO9K9z6fTifC3pWNI65H5tVK5ItqkpxvItubABKwW0tESp8L7Q&m=1

Thanks for the link sussamb, a good read it was too  O0 I hadn't realised how sleep deprived she was, although I knew she hadn't had much sleep, hallucinations on the Border Ridge, incredible she could still finish really.

I am disappointed that there is no Pavel or Jasmin this year, I was hoping they would be up front in a battle for the win. I will be dot watching along with everyone else  :)
Hate will never win

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 23:26:57, 08/01/20 »
Weather looks a bit rough,95mph winds and snow on Penyghent on Monday afternoon and night.

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 11:31:42, 10/01/20 »
Don't forget get a good nights sleep and set your alarm for the start of the Challenger event tomorrow at 08.00.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 12:00:29, 10/01/20 »
I always look for people to follow in the race and I've just noticed that in the Challenger there is a man who has the same name as me, though he spells it differently.

Come on number 368!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 16:47:44, 10/01/20 »
How do they cope at CP1.It must be very difficult for anyone who is trying to get a few hours sleep.
Almost impossible as with people being so tired, those that do manage to get some, there's always at least one mega snorer. Then there's comings and goings. it's best to just have a short lie down, a shower, clothing change and food and be on your way.Pavel is at Tan Hill inn at the moment taking part in some filming apparently.I think given the weather forecast there will be lots of retirements during day's 1 & 2. Wind, cold and rain are one thing but all three together takes their toll.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy