Author Topic: Karrimor Alpiniste Rucksacks - FOR SALE or SWAP/DONATION or just information  (Read 6758 times)

jcluddite

I just stumbled upon this thread.

I'm the owner of Alpine luddites. Just a note that all of the karrimor styles I build are take offs of the originals. I have them in my shop.  main difference is my packs are all custom fitted, all seams are taped and ,if metal hardware is used, probably works smoother than the original hardware.

i bought my first Karrimor in 1986, a hot ice. 

I learned to sew at a high standard working for Dana Designs in Bozeman Montana in the off season from guiding, when I built much of my own gear. I have always worked in the outdoor industry, including a stint as sales manager at Macpac in New Zealand and some work with crux in the uk.

You can see my work at the Bespoke Handmade Bicycle show in Bristol in May, as i stared showing my custom bike bags there. I usually bring a few sacs too.

buryman

The original Karrimor Alpiniste dates back to the mid sixties and the design was attributed to Don Whillans. Whillans was a climbing partner/rival of Joe Brown.

jcluddite

I know that. I have a canvas/leather Whillans Alpinist in the shop, passed on by a friend who worked for Chouinard Equipment. I've chatted with both Mike Parsons and the current owner of Karrimor and they are happy to hear i still offer these packs.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Does "take offs" mean "copies" ?

....Just a note that all of the karrimor styles I build are take offs of the originals...

Strider

• Veteran Member

I'm pretty sure that industrial design isn't protected for as long as for artistic works (30 years versus death+70 I think)
Not all those who wander are lost

Mel

• Veteran Member
Wasn't asking for that reason Strider.  Never heard the phrase in that context before that's all.

jcluddite

style wise yes, but built differently than the originals. you can see them here: w w w alpineluddites com   under classic packs

take offs are built from measuring the originals

Mel

• Veteran Member
Cheers for the clarification  O0

Strider

• Veteran Member
Ah yeah, a take-off is a copy :)
Not all those who wander are lost

jcluddite

it's a reproduction! Everyone who ordered one is very happy to get a "new" version of their favorite pack. but they are not exact copies. my seam allowances are bigger, the lids are slightly different, I use different fabric as the KS100 is not longer available. the hip belts are better than the originals. they are all custom sized. I measure the old ones just to get the proportions correct. even those from Karrimor changed over the years. i have seen 3 different shaped versions of the purple alpiniste.

i have the pre KS100 Haston alpiniste in my shop, which is different than the first Alpinist I bought used in the early 90's, which had the KS100 fabric.  But any conical shaped pack is similar to any other one. I think Karrimor had only 2 or 3 master main pack bag patterns at one time (70's-80's)and all their packs are a variation in style/fabrics from these three. Every back panel I have ever seen is the exact same size & shape regardless of the model.all to take advantage of the fformatt frame.

Mel

• Veteran Member
...it's a reproduction! ...

Does "reproduction" mean "copy"?

jcluddite

ninthace

• Veteran Member
They look like the originals but they use different fabric and are improved so can we settle for improved/updated reproductions or Karrimor-style (as in e.g. Italian style) and move on?  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
... and move on?  :)

Indeed, back on topic (which was IM's discussion of over 2 years ago about ORIGINAL Karrimor Alpiniste Rucksacks and not someone resurrecting it to flog their imitations)  O0
« Last Edit: 23:55:14, 01/09/19 by Mel »

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy