Author Topic: Another pair of boots worn out  (Read 2910 times)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Another pair of boots worn out
« on: 09:35:35, 14/09/19 »

Well, that's it for my Grisport Peaklanders, bought October 2018 for £80.

Can't really complain, I suppose, I have walked well over 1000 miles in them, including a lot on roads, which can't be good for the soles.

Apparently the heavy wear on the outside of the heel is evidence of supinaton or under-pronation - I have a "rigid foot"!

No advice needed on replacement boots, I'll be taking a trip to Whalley.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Another pair of boots worn out
« Reply #1 on: 10:28:41, 14/09/19 »
Not boot advice but your supinaton/under pronation will not go away or magically get better on it's own.

Make sure you get assessed and some advice when you visit Whalley as they have all the necessary gear to properly analyse your feet/gait. Taking your old boots with you when you go would probably be a good idea. Something like the Superfeet Green insoles or a ready to wear insole from the Sidas range may help.

https://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/boot-fitting-service/ready-wear-insoles/

http://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/product-category/ready-to-wear-insoles/

They can also refer you for custom made insoles if required - definitely not a cheap option but it should sort out your problem out.

https://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/boot-fitting-service/custom-made-insoles/

Get yourself some cheap boots/walking shoes/trainers for your road walking activities and keep the expensive boots for use on the terrain they are designed for.  ;)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:43:42, 14/09/19 »
Good advice as always. Under pronation is just one of those things, not a problem at all to me whilst walking or running - other than wearing out running shoes and boots! And the inners of my boots are shot too.

My problem here in Orkney is that a lot of the walking that I do here is mixed - maybe 3 miles along a trackless clifftop, then 6 miles back along minor roads - it's hard to avoid the road walking. That will change when I move to Cumbria, I suspect.

I'll be sure to seek and I'm sure that I'll get good advice at Whalley.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:04:35, 14/09/19 »
Under pronation is just one of those things, not a problem at all to me whilst walking or running - other than wearing out running shoes and boots! And the inners of my boots are shot too.

You may feel it's not a problem to you now (other than the financial inconvenience) and I'm no expert but there may be underlying long term damage being caused which could possibly affect you and even put an early end to your walking if it's ignored or left untreated. Better to be safe than sorry.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:12:47, 14/09/19 »
I'm really not overly concerned, Kinkyboots - I have never experienced foot or ankle problems, and I'm certainly not going to start worrying about it now - my knees are far more likely to give me grief.

Ronin83

« Reply #5 on: 15:27:25, 14/09/19 »
Wear on the outside of the heel is normal. Feet usually turn slightly outwards, rarely do they face totally forwards and parallel.
Some soles are even moulded that way especially in running shoes.
It's only a problem if it causes you a problem or if it's really obvious like a duck gait.
The problem really is that people have this idea of perfect symmetry and everything being straight and flat. The human body just isn't like that, nothing in nature is, nor should it be forced to be so

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:38:08, 14/09/19 »
The human body just isn't like that, nothing in nature is, nor should it be forced to be so
O0 O0
 When we were kids we had metal studs to nail into the heels once they were worn down , (usually one side) to make our shoes last longer..it was great creating sparks by dragging our shoes along the pathway....until we had a clip round the ear.
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 16:17:41, 14/09/19 »
O0 O0
 When we were kids we had metal studs to nail into the heels once they were worn down , (usually one side) to make our shoes last longer..it was great creating sparks by dragging our shoes along the pathway....until we had a clip round the ear.
I had a pair of old rugby boots where the studs were nailed into the heels. And I remember the pain when the nails came through into my foot!  :'(
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:32:24, 14/09/19 »
I remember nail on studs.  The blood was nature's way of telling you you needed new studs.
We had someone come in the hangar once with steel taps on his shoes.  His bottom bounced twice but both bounces were on the tarmac outside so that was OK.  Nasty sparky, scratchy. things.

Richard,  I am hiding your post from Mrs N.  Her boots have done 2355 miles as of today.  If she sees your post, she will be into me for new boots!
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 18:54:29, 14/09/19 »
Her boots obviously more durable than mine!

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:38:40, 15/09/19 »
It's only a problem if it causes you a problem or if it's really obvious like a duck gait.
The problem really is that people have this idea of perfect symmetry and everything being straight and flat. The human body just isn't like that, nothing in nature is, nor should it be forced to be so

Quite agree, Ronin - I'm certainly not losing any sleep over it! Only a problem in that I tend to wear out boots and running shoes quickly!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:25:54, 15/09/19 »
I always had the problem of wear on the outer edges of my boots. after trial and error, I solved the problem by fitting half an old trainer insert, cut lengthways and fitted under my Sorbothane inserts along the affected edges. It's just a bit of hit and miss guesswork but it's been successful, my soles now last longer and I feel I walk so much more comfortably. I am also a bit heavy on my left heel, in particular, that's the first sign of sole wear nowadays but I haven't worked out how to solve this.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:46:10, 15/09/19 »
I'll seek some advice when I take a trip down to Whalley, gwm.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 22:13:37, 15/09/19 »
The outer edge of my right boot  / shoe always wears much more heavily. I badly sprained my ankle a couple of times when young and I believe I have some lasting effects. I tend to prefer boots with good ankle protection to prevent reoccurrence of the injury.  I remember having metal studs to protect the soles, but doubt they would be a good addition to modern walking boots. I don’t think they would do much for grip on wet rock.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 23:06:59, 15/09/19 »
Good advice as always. Under pronation is just one of those things, not a problem at all to me whilst walking or running - other than wearing out running shoes and boots! And the inners of my boots are shot too.

My problem here in Orkney is that a lot of the walking that I do here is mixed - maybe 3 miles along a trackless clifftop, then 6 miles back along minor roads - it's hard to avoid the road walking. That will change when I move to Cumbria, I suspect.

I'll be sure to seek and I'm sure that I'll get good advice at Whalley.

Moving to Cumbria.  Did I miss something?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy