Author Topic: My £15 Champion wet weather coat, first problem!  (Read 1426 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
It rained here today so I decided to go for a walk and take my cheap Champion coat with me. It was also very windy. After about a mile I was suddenly aware that my chest area was becoming wet. When I got back to my car I realized it wasn't the coat that had let me down, it was the three Velco tabs which secure the coats waterproof material over the full-length zip. As I was walking along the wind and the rain was blowing directly onto my right side and the Velcro wasn't holding so the rainwater just filtered through the zip to my baselayer. The base of the Velcro, the stiffer bit, was fine but the top layer had become 'thready and hairy,' and had lost its grip. I've never had this happen before, cheap coat, cheap 'velcro' do you think?

My wife's friend will sew me some better quality Velcro on in a couple of days.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
Re: My £15 Champion wet weather coat, first problem!
« Reply #1 on: 20:41:45, 23/09/19 »
Buy a proper waterproof jacket, gwm  ;)

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 21:10:24, 23/09/19 »
Buy a roll of duct tape!
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:22:53, 23/09/19 »
My Champion long coat is a proper waterproof jacket and I now know from personal experience that it works very well, I kept perfectly dry when I was on the Two Moors Way recently but that was when the Velcro tabs were working at their best. From my point of view, for keeping me properly dry its the best coat I've owned to date. My experience of other waterproof jackets is not good, my Marmot Precip leaks around the neck, the hood inner coating scratched off and my Paramo Alta 2 never seemed to keep me dry anyway and when its zip failed I lost faith in it completely.

I've never been a fan of Velcro but it seems to be used on lots of items. I know that some brands have a waterproof zip but I have never owned one, I presume they are the best of all? I've only ever owned garments which rely on a flap of material to cover the zip. Velcro does work but I wish there was an alternative to it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:24:00, 23/09/19 »
If I bought duct tape, once on, how would I get it off?  :)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:24:55, 23/09/19 »
I tried duct tape on the inside of my Marmot Precip hood but it wouldn't stick.

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:32:06, 23/09/19 »
Remind me again, how old is this jacket?

Pitboot

« Reply #7 on: 11:12:39, 24/09/19 »
"When I got back to my car I realized it wasn't the coat that had let me down, it was the three Velco tabs which secure the coats waterproof material over the full-length zip."

So it WAS the coat then?  ???

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:21:49, 24/09/19 »
Even with the velcro tabs in place, a strong side wind would still blow water in under the zip flap, gwm.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:34:04, 24/09/19 »
No issues with my equally cheap Highlander waterproof, that i bought in Perth two years ago.
I had to put it into use, walking around Oban last Wednesday, and it performed admirably for a coat costing so little.

I know its one of those rubbery coated inside, with taped seams affairs, associated with the cheap and cheerful jackets, but my jacket breathes particularly well.
It was pretty warm last Wednesday, with this annoying drizzle for most of the day, but there was no annoying condensation build up, you get with most of these cheap jackets.

The jacket may have cost peanuts, but it performs remarkably well for something costing so little

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:43:21, 24/09/19 »
My Marmot Precip is three years old, last used a year ago. My present Champion long coat is just under a year old.

No, the Champion coat is fine, its the Velcro that's the problem, soon to be replaced. I know that I have a cheap coat and now know it works well, but I also know its not perfect and I don't expect it to be for £15. The water problem may occur again if I experience the same weather conditions as a couple of days ago, but I think statistically that is most unlikely. If the wind and rain was blowing directly onto my left side I don't think I would have got wet, it was because it was coming at me from the right that caused the problem, primarily because the velcro did not give my zip a good enough seal. When it rained hard on the Two Moors Way, the rain was either coming directly onto my front and/or back (it was a bit windy at times but not much) or straight down onto my head (no wind at all) so I stayed dry all day.

I am still looking for a similar model long coat, which is 'better' and Im prepared to pay more but as yet have not found one.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 14:25:39, 24/09/19 »
If there is room, get your lady friend to sew the velcro the length of the zip.  It has the same effect as duct tape but is easier to get on and off.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 17:01:51, 24/09/19 »
If I could I would avoid Velcro completely. I take your point about the full length of the zip, I keep wondering if I could do the same with a magnetic strip as used on clothing?

I'm sure that if manufacturers applied their minds to how to keep people dry by not using Velcro I'd be the first in the queue.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:16:29, 24/09/19 »
I'm sure that if manufacturers applied their minds to how to keep people dry by not using Velcro I'd be the first in the queue.

Water resistant zips do exist, gwm - I have one on my jacket. Not 100% waterproof after 4 Orkney winters, but still very water resistant - very little get through.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 18:18:31, 24/09/19 »
I decided to walk down to the local railway station with my camera today. I had heard the road was flooded and traffic was at a standstill. It was pouring, so I put my poncho on....it promptly stopped raining and I thought I might look a bit of a berk walking around in this huge poncho in suburbia, so I took it off.......
When I was down there the heavens opened and my regatta coat poured water down onto my jeans & into my hiking boots........by the time I was home I looked like a drowned rat....I said to myself next time do not worry about looking like a berk !
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy