Author Topic: Windproof Overtrousers/Leggings  (Read 1886 times)

WILDWALKINGUK

Windproof Overtrousers/Leggings
« on: 19:17:29, 25/11/19 »
I have never been able to wear waterproof overtrousers for long periods because they never seem to breathe well enough and I get wet from the inside. This weekend I tested a pair of EDZ Innershell Leggings and was very impressed. I wore them for 9 hours in drizzle and stayed dry and comfortable. They are windproof overtrousers and not fully waterproof but they breathe really well. Extremely good value too.
It's been a revelation to me and I thought it may be of interest to someone else.
A link to my review is here:  https://wildwalkinguk.com/2019/11/25/edz-innershell-leggings-review/  

Percy

• Veteran Member
Re: Windproof Overtrousers/Leggings
« Reply #1 on: 19:49:02, 25/11/19 »
I have to say I find “innershell leggings” an utterly baffling name give what they actually are.

WILDWALKINGUK

« Reply #2 on: 21:22:07, 25/11/19 »
Yes it's an odd name and I'm sure they would sell better to hikers if they renamed them. Luckily the name is not written on them, as I'll be wearing them a lot. They are possibly not specifically designed for hikers, more for motorcyclist or other activities. All I know is that I was able to happily wear these for 9 hours continuously, which is something I've never done with all the walking specific waterproof trousers I've tried over the years of hiking I've done. They're not suitable for continuous heavy rain but anything less and they're OK.   

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 21:27:46, 25/11/19 »
They may be fine for some people but I'm afraid they do not appeal to me simply because as leggings they still have to be put on and then taken off or worn for long periods of time. None of those options appeals to me. I personally prefer a rain skirt when I hike, I can put it on in 10 seconds and take it off in less and I don't even have to stop walking to do it. My rain skirt always allows my nether regions to stay cool in those areas which rarely stay cool when wearing waterproof trousers. But if anyone likes to wear waterproof trousers then I'm sure they are worth a look. Are they about the same price as the Berghaus waterproof trousers which seems to be a favourite of a lot of people?

wobblyknees

« Reply #4 on: 21:43:02, 25/11/19 »
The non adjustable elasticated waistband and ankles are a deal breaker for me. The elastic will eventually stretch and fail.

WhitstableDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:44:40, 25/11/19 »
Interesting, thanks. I read the review as well as the relevant bit on the EDZ website.  O0

I struggled with cheap overtrousers for some time before splashing out on a pair of Berghaus Paclites. The problem was that putting overtrousers on when I was out walking and the rain had started to come down properly could be such a pain. Take my boots off?.. or try to get the overtrousers over them? I'd often not bother, hope the rain would stop, and get soaking wet legs. Or I'd put them on and put up with hot legs when the rain stopped because I didn't want to go through the hassle of getting them off when it might start raining again.

The Paclites weigh a little more than twice the EDZ's 90g, but they're still very light and pack into a small pouch that I always keep in one of my backpack bottle pockets. They're tough and can be used to wade through patches of nettles whatever the weather.

The Paclites aren't perfect, but they've been 100% waterproof. The 3/4-length side zips make them relatively easy to get on and off, and they create very long side vents for when the rain is on-and-off. On hills, they provide windproofing.

Having said all that... what I'd really like is a pair of walking trousers that are as cool and breathable as my usual ones, but totally waterproof too!
Walk, Jog, Run : our YouTube video channel.

WILDWALKINGUK

« Reply #6 on: 07:12:28, 26/11/19 »
Thanks all, it's nice to have your views on these.
The £44.99 price tag and 64g weight affects my views on what they're for. I wouldn't buy them to replace my waterproof trousers, but to have as well. I would take the EDZ Innershell Leggings with me on the days that I wouldn't bother carrying proper waterproof trousers. They are not designed to replace them, but there is a larger overlap than expected. I am seriously considering taking these on next years Scottish National Trail walk, as well as or instead of full waterproof trousers. I will update the review as and when I learn more.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 07:50:13, 26/11/19 »
I hate waterproof overtrousers, I feel all cluttered up in them. I solved the problem with Paramos, they are waterproof windproof and comfortable and horribly expensive. However, they do last, and when they do finally disintegrate you trade them in and get £50 towards the next pair. For me they make the difference between getting out and staying home by the fire, but I know not everyone likes them.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:18:58, 26/11/19 »
Good review of an interesting product.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:58:37, 26/11/19 »
To help with putting on and off waterproof trousers I am reminded of the suggestion from a Forum member to take a couple of 'Tesco' plastic bags with you, over the boots then pull on/off trousers, no mud and wet inside.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 19:21:39, 26/11/19 »
If you have more expensive, big name trousers then you should use Waitrose or M&S carrier bags.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:50:52, 26/11/19 »
Very true! ;)

wobblyknees

« Reply #12 on: 23:13:45, 26/11/19 »
+1 for Paramo Cascada trousers. Not fully waterproof in constant heavy rain but they do for me about 90% of the time. They are very quick drying between intermittent showers.
The ¾ length zips can be fully opened to provide ventilation on hot days. The zips have studs spaced about 100mm apart to keep both sides of the zip connected and prevent the trousers from flopping about in the wind.
Expensive but almost bombproof.

pauldawes

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:51:16, 27/11/19 »
+1 for Paramo Cascada trousers. Not fully waterproof in constant heavy rain but they do for me about 90% of the time. They are very quick drying between intermittent showers.
The ¾ length zips can be fully opened to provide ventilation on hot days. The zips have studs spaced about 100mm apart to keep both sides of the zip connected and prevent the trousers from flopping about in the wind.

I think the original Cascada trousers aren’t available now? Last time I looked for a pair only Cascada 2’s were on offer...less baggy and slightly different in other ways to the original Cascada trousers.

In my experience the new model needs more frequent washing and re-proofing to maintain a good level of waterproof ness.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 17:58:49, 27/11/19 »
Actually the press studs are there to stop you dying of indecent exposure when the zips are open  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy