Author Topic: Recommendations for dry sacks  (Read 1660 times)

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
Re: Recommendations for dry sacks
« Reply #15 on: 11:51:54, 30/09/19 »
For years I had several Exped bags of varying size. No problem with them.
I then tried an Alpkit which was equally as good and a lot thinner/lighter.
Then, much against my better judgement (snobbery) I tried a cheap one from Sports Direct - which was made by the 'new' Karrimor. As a result I then bought several of these Karrimor sacs as they seemed very tough/durable and haven't had any waterproof problems with them either.
Just shows how you can be wrong about things !

As vghikers comments - I used to rely on a single large pack liner, but ditched that in favour of smaller ones for specific items. Each is of a different colour so that I know what dry bag to look for when rummaging in the pack.
I now use the old pack liner to stuff all my dirty clothes in  ;D
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 12:35:38, 30/09/19 »
Yes indeed, that's yet another way of doing it. Some hikers find it useful for partitioning gear to aid organisation.

That's what I do - I use Sea to Summit compression dry bags and have found them fantastic on both cycling and walking trips.  They come in a range of sizes.

Matt010791

« Reply #17 on: 17:26:46, 30/09/19 »
Gone for a 20L Exped one as I used my discount code on cotswold so got it for under £12 which if it fails then I’ll look into the sea to summit stuff.

I like the idea of buying different sizes for different items so may try this if I’m happy with this exped one

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 19:55:22, 30/09/19 »
I use lots of small light dry bags, I have dozens. Various makes, exped, podsac, limo as well as many heavier ones from ortleib, limo and Jack Wolfskin. The heavier one I use for kayaking and cycling.

Apache

• Account Closed
« Reply #19 on: 20:11:00, 30/09/19 »
I personally use Lifeventure. Strong, waterproof, light and usually available with a discount.

I had 1 big sack but in the end got fed up rummaging, so I now use appropriate sized bags for groups of gear (clothing, cooking, emergency etc)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 21:22:43, 30/09/19 »
I was out on Dartmoor for 7 hours yesterday in driving rain.  I had a spare fleece in a  bin liner and one just in the top of my sack.  Both remained bone dry all day, so clearly the rain cover on my sack does a decent job.  To be honest the only time a put other things in the bin liner is when I need to cross a river.

Chris954

« Reply #21 on: 22:36:50, 01/10/19 »
I just put a builders rubble sack inside my pack, cheap,waterproof and light

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy