Author Topic: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?  (Read 276141 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Where are you good people walking DURING the week?
« Reply #1350 on: 12:54:29, 10/08/20 »
Contemplating a wild camp on the Coniston Fells tonight, thunderstorms permitting. Don't think that I'll be camping on the fell tops!
Quite fancy Blind Tarn, but bit of a gamble finding a pitch, I suspect.
If memory serves, somewhere in that area you may be able to get underground in Blind Tarn Quarry cave which might get you out of any weather and be a bit of an adventure.

http://www.wainwrightroutes.co.uk/dowcrag_r1.htm
Solvitur Ambulando

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1351 on: 22:03:28, 10/08/20 »
Its been over 2 weeks since I did a walk in the teens of miles so I decided that I really should get out today as the rest of my week was looking busy. As it was going to be so hot I got away early and was back by lunchtime but it was still baking. I think Mrs R was actually concerned about me going so far in the heat, it is the first time that she has ever asked me where I was going on a local walk. In fact even when I go walking further afield she rarely knows where I am or where I am staying apart from a very general idea.
If I was offering advice to others I would say that you should always tell someone where you were going. Perhaps I should start doing so too.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1352 on: 07:47:49, 11/08/20 »
Contemplating a wild camp on the Coniston Fells tonight, thunderstorms permitting.

If you did go out I hope you survived  :)  Crikey, I thought a bomb had exploded when the thunder storm started, the noise was incredible  :o

If I was offering advice to others I would say that you should always tell someone where you were going. Perhaps I should start doing so too.

Yes, that is the advice I would give others too but I don't always follow it myself when I go out walking alone.
Hate will never win

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1353 on: 14:05:38, 11/08/20 »
If memory serves, somewhere in that area you may be able to get underground in Blind Tarn Quarry cave which might get you out of any weather and be a bit of an adventure.
Didn't make it as far as Blind Tarn in the end, the heat and humidity did for me whilst climbing Wetherlam Edge. I bailed out before Prison Band and spent the night just above Levers Water.

If you did go out I hope you survived  :)  Crikey, I thought a bomb had exploded when the thunder storm started, the noise was incredible  :o
I live, thanks, April  :)  I've never experienced anything like it, flashes every few seconds for hours and hours, and then the storm came closer with rain pelting the tent and thunder reverberating off the cliffs - went on most of the night. The tent felt very small and fragile, as did I - a humbling experience!
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1354 on: 20:01:38, 11/08/20 »
I live, thanks, April  :)  I've never experienced anything like it, flashes every few seconds for hours and hours, and then the storm came closer with rain pelting the tent and thunder reverberating off the cliffs - went on most of the night. The tent felt very small and fragile, as did I - a humbling experience!

I am pleased you survived  :) It must have been an experience, that thunder was so loud!
Hate will never win

Dodgylegs

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1355 on: 20:42:16, 11/08/20 »
Didn't make it as far as Blind Tarn in the end, the heat and humidity did for me whilst climbing Wetherlam Edge. I bailed out before Prison Band and spent the night just above Levers Water.

You didn't say how much sleep you got Richard!  ;)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1356 on: 13:51:52, 17/08/20 »
Few days off work. So a quick 7.5 mile jog up Yes tor and the surrounding tors from Meldon quarry and a very refreshing dip in Red-a-ven brook, on the way back to the car. Then home for lunch ahead of the rain.  :)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1357 on: 15:19:31, 17/08/20 »
The good folk down in the Met Office in Exeter were promising plagues of frogs, boils, locusts and worse for today, but it looked fine so we went for a sort of local walk anyway.  As we went round, we could see the clouds starting to develop, with nice threatening black bits, then shutting themselves down as their shadows turned off the heat source.  I reckoned it would be fine but Mrs N, who does not "do" sauntering, settled for a near 4mph pace to get round quickly, which did not go down well with me in the prevailing humidity.  Perhaps my peripatetic dissertation on cloud formation, vortex stability, adiabatic lapse rates and the effects of latent heat of evaporation spurred her on.  Either that or she hates me!

Turned out the Met Office was right though. An hour after we got back it honked down so hard the road outside the house flooded.
Solvitur Ambulando

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1358 on: 18:29:12, 17/08/20 »
I walked today over the South Downs from Woodingdean on the outskirts of Brighton to Telscombe Cliffs, going up on to Pickers Hill and across Telscombe Tye.  A scenic walk with expansive views over the sea and the rolling hills.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1359 on: 21:47:48, 17/08/20 »
Tackled Ben More today, an unrelenting 1000m climb up from Glen Dochart - worth it though, as the clouds held off and we got a fantastic view from the summit.

Probably have an easy day tomorrow!

Ben More on the left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1360 on: 21:57:14, 17/08/20 »

Tess at the summit of Ben More

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1361 on: 22:08:31, 17/08/20 »
Lovely pics Richard.
Looks like you had a better day than I did, soaked twice but too hot to put on waterproofs.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1362 on: 07:34:08, 18/08/20 »
Love the photo of Tess at the summit   :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1363 on: 23:41:09, 18/08/20 »
Popped out to Dartmoor again after tea. A quick 9 miles. up down and around Staple tors and Great Mis tor and White tor area.  Fun crossing the Walkham, plenty of water in it.  Happily I managed to find a few rocky spots though and kept my feet dry.  :)

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #1364 on: 07:55:32, 20/08/20 »
Climbed Stob a Choire Odhair (945m) yesterday - the visibility was "excellent to superb" and the views across Rannoch Moor were to die for.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy