Author Topic: Image Manipulation  (Read 1686 times)

myxpyr

Image Manipulation
« on: 16:22:34, 17/11/19 »
The program I normally use when editing on adjusting my digital images is JASC Paint Shop Pro. I know it's rather ancient but so far it has served me ok.
I do also have something called GIMP which I use rarely.
What I currently would like to attempt, if possible, is to change some images(taken spring/summer/autumn) to appear as winter scenes complete with snowscapes. I know there are way of doing it with Photoshop but, for the little use I'd make of it, I can't justify the expense.
Anyone got any advice or ideas?
Thanks

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
Re: Image Manipulation
« Reply #1 on: 17:11:40, 17/11/19 »
You are probably going to need an editing programme such as Photoshop that allows you to work in layers. Photoshop Elements may work for you - it costs about £85 for the latest version.

You will also need some additional pictures with snow that you can use to superimpose over your originals on a separate layer. You can then use layer masks to apply the snow to the areas that you want to. This will not be an easy thing to achieve. The resultant picture will look wrong of you don’t have lighting in the same direction on your original and snow pictures. You will definitely struggle to achieve what you want with the snow pictures. I suspect it may be easier to wait for the winter and take some pictures with real snow. I think you will end up disappointed with manipulated versions of what you already have.

myxpyr

« Reply #2 on: 17:33:28, 17/11/19 »
You are probably going to need an editing programme such as Photoshop that allows you to work in layers. Photoshop Elements may work for you - it costs about £85 for the latest version.

You will also need some additional pictures with snow that you can use to superimpose over your originals on a separate layer. You can then use layer masks to apply the snow to the areas that you want to. This will not be an easy thing to achieve. The resultant picture will look wrong of you don’t have lighting in the same direction on your original and snow pictures. You will definitely struggle to achieve what you want with the snow pictures. I suspect it may be easier to wait for the winter and take some pictures with real snow. I think you will end up disappointed with manipulated versions of what you already have.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:31:06, 17/11/19 »
Looks like you're going to have to go back and photograph those scenes again when there's snow. That's a challenge for you to achieve!  :)

vghikers

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 19:58:34, 17/11/19 »
What I currently would like to attempt, if possible, is to change some images(taken spring/summer/autumn) to appear as winter scenes complete with snowscapes.

Just wondering why - as an artistic project?.
I agree with Bigfoot_Mike, the process would be very messy and tedious and I predict that the the result would not be at all good.
I'm sure it's theoretically possible to achieve a fairly decent result with the latest versions of Gimp, but only after a great deal of frustrating hard earned experience through trial and error.

Patrick1

« Reply #5 on: 10:53:22, 18/11/19 »
I find GIMP very usable, actually - its my number one program for any serious image editing. Its not going to be easy to make scenes look convincingly snowy, but I'd say GIMP is as capable of doing it as anything else. I'd look at some internet tutorials on using layers with GIMP, and then bite the bullet and give it a go.

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:08:14, 18/11/19 »
I am another GIMP user. I am not sure that there would be simple means to do this sort of transition in Photoshop, without there being a tutorial on the web. My guess would be a plugin or some use of filters together with layers.

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 19:49:57, 18/11/19 »
Which version of PSP are you using? On the later versions (x9 and above) it is easy to add a snow or frost effect by using the colour changer tool.Earlier versions such as 7 and 8 have the same tool but its not as powerful so you have to be more creative and use another photo with snow to clone onto the original.This work is done using the original layer.

Bigfoot_Mike

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:56:16, 18/11/19 »
I think that realistic snow is going to need more than a colour changer. Snow has texture and depth that won’t be well represented by changing the colour.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy