Author Topic: Choosing a new backpack  (Read 2446 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Choosing a new backpack
« on: 21:58:54, 29/03/19 »
I've currently got a Karrimor Orbit 40 which I was quite happy with apart from one thing - the straps stink. I've put it in the washing machine (in a laundry bag so the straps don't get caught on the machine) and the straps still stink. Don't know what else to do with it, it was left idle for a while and the straps stopped smelling but as soon as they got wet the smell came back.

So I need a new one. A day pack. Hopefully without thick absorbent straps. Probably don't really need 40 litres as I've never filled it to capacity but I like having the extra room in case I ever decide to take a stove with me. I also carry 2-3 litres of water which takes up a fair bit of room. 40 litres was the biggest they did without a waist strap which I don't want. Maybe 30 would be sufficient? I want something the straps aren't hugely thick and absorbent on or I'm going to have to same problem. I'm not sure what else to look for in a backpack really, I've been told a good walking backpack allows the air to flow through to your back but I've never had a problem with this.

Anyway I'm going to go have a look around Go Outdoors tomorrow but I wondered if the forum had any wisdom for me on what I should get?

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Choosing a new backpack
« Reply #1 on: 22:38:55, 29/03/19 »
Why wouldn't you want a waist strap?  It's the part that if properly fitted means your hips carry most of the weight.  If you don't have one your shoulders will take all the weight, and indeed that may be contributing to your smelly straps  :-\

If you can get over having a waist strap then the Lowe Alpine 35 Airzone would be worth looking at, I've used one for years and very happy with it.
Where there's a will ...

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:48:57, 29/03/19 »
To be honest I can't remember why I didn't want a waist strap it was a decision I made years ago. Maybe I'm too fat for the strap to fit? I'll try some packs with straps tomorrow and see if I still don't like them.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:56:22, 29/03/19 »
Ideally I'd like this sorted by Monday as I want to go walking and there is a 25% chance of rain. Wearing my last waterproof jacket with the backpack made the jacket stink so I won't be wearing my new waterproof with it meaning I might have to call Monday off if I can't. Do you know any shops in Keswick that stock the Lowe Alpine 35 Air zone? I could head to Keswick instead of Go Outdoors.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:08:49, 29/03/19 »
Is this the pack sussamb means? There's one in Penrith Go Outdoors so I needn't go as far As Keswick if it is. A bit bigger than I was thinking but so long as it doesn't have to go in the washing machine and the hip strap does up that doesn't matter. Bit pricier than I wanted to pay but not out of reach.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:16:07, 29/03/19 »
We'll I've got that one too but it's larger/more expensive than the 35L.  It was this one

https://www.blacks.co.uk/equipment/037401-lowe-alpine-airzone-trail-35-blue.html/

Where there's a will ...

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 23:23:31, 29/03/19 »
Thanks. I'll phone around tomorrow. Hopefully between Carlisle, Ambleside and Keswick I'll be able to find one in a shop I can drive to.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 23:32:14, 29/03/19 »
Sussamb if you have both packs can you do me a small favour? Can you tell me if the hip strap is the same size? Blacks do next day premium delivery including weekends so I can order it and have it delivered Sunday if they don't have it in any shops and I can go try the bigger pack out in Penrith to check it fits then order the Airzone Trail 35 online.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 07:01:52, 30/03/19 »
Mine are but I have an earlier version of the 35L one so can't confirm the length of the current one  :-\

They are quite long though  O0
Where there's a will ...

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 14:16:41, 30/03/19 »
Well I sort of followed your advice

I couldn't find the cheaper pack in a 35 only a 30 in the shops and I thought it was a little too small. Thanks for your thoughts!

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:15:32, 30/03/19 »
Enjoy, I love mine  O0
Where there's a will ...

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:38:08, 13/04/19 »
I've mixed feelings about the new backpack. I like it's general design but the hip straps won't stay around my waist where they seem aligned to sit but slide down to the ilium (I think looking at these anatomy diagrams). Where is it supposed to sit? In the location I have to wear it, it slips out from under my t-shirt so the strap and buckle are directly against my skin which is a little uncomfortable but better for doing it up tightly.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 20:41:18, 13/04/19 »
It's not a waist strap.  It should sit just above your hips so that they take the load.  If it sits correctly you should have very little load on your shoulders as the shoulder straps simply hold the backpack against your back.
Where there's a will ...

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:55:51, 13/04/19 »
It's not a waist strap.  It should sit just above your hips so that they take the load.

Problem is I skipped biology at school so I don't know where the hips begin. Just above your bum?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:03:31, 13/04/19 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl1yJakKp-4

Watch it all, hips are at 1:58
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy