Author Topic: [Trip Report] - An abortive attempt on Derwent Moor, nr Ladybower  (Read 2532 times)

Dazza

• Veteran Member
Date : 19/07/08
Distance : 4 miles
Weather : 40mph winds and driving rain with very occasional sunny out breaks.
Kit : TNF Hedghogs, Montane Atomic DT Shell.

A walk in an area we'd not paid much attention to previously, but will certainly be back. The weather forecast had been dodgy and very, very changeable so we weren't overly optimistic but had planned either a four or a twelve miler depending on conditions. The conditions meant we ended up doing the four miler.

It also explains the lack of photographs. OS map is, as always, courtesy of Crown Copyright.

As I say the forecasts were all over the place so we really didn't know what to expect. The drive up was pretty good really, a few light showers and sunny spells, so fairly promising. We didn't make as good a progress on the drive as we'd have liked as Bamford was having it's carnival which involved classic cars. We got stuck behind two classic cars which were very nice but only went 30... in a 50 zone. Still we got there, although later than planned, and sat.

Sat in the car...

...for 20 minutes until the rain stopped enough to see out of the windscreen.

Not a good start.

Still we buy kit like my Atomic DT to endure the rain and wind, so when it had eased we donned our fell ware and fully prepared set off. I had my camera in it's Lowe Pro bag and was fully prepared to snap away once we'd made it past the short road section.

So off we trotted on the footpath which was being churned up by some cyclists. The cyclists weren't making good progress (falling over etc) but were making the foot path a rutted quagmire. Still live and let live, so we passed them on foot and continued along the bridleway until we'd meet our proper footpath onto the moor.

We'd expected changeable weather. Well it of course changed. We both battened down the hatches whilst the wind picked up and blew most of Ladybower onto us in the form of rain. Hood up and head down we carried on. After 15 minutes the torrent ceased but the wind picked up even more. So taking advantage of a break in the weather my camera went into my rucksack to protect it (hence very few photos), because as good as the bag is it's not built for torrential rain.

We walked to the edge of our path and our turn off point. This gave a lovely view towards Win Hill, Mam Tor, Edale and Kinder Scout. I wish I had a waterproof camera to show you the view. Unfortunately the view also revealed deep black clouds over Edale which looked to be raining already, but not as heavy rain over Win Hill.

We talked it over, our kit had kept us bone dry so had aquitted itself well, even though my hoppers were on the damp side and my socks had wicked the rain into my shoes. North West, our intended direction, looked bleak - Cumulo Nimbus clouds by the look of it. South looked better but would be a shorter walk. So the choice of getting wet or potentially getting soaked was ours.

This was an introduction walk in many ways, I've had problems with my knees and my mate has had a problem or three as well, we also hadn't walked for a few months. So all things considered we went south vowing to return and do much more.

This did give some nice, if hazy, views of Lady Bower Dam and a nice brook or two.

Ofcourse it rained a bit on the way down but was then largely sunny. This was a bit annoying as we'd sacrificed a large chunk of what we intended to do. In the end though we were proven right.

As we approached the car a persistant rain started and didn't stop for some time.

To end, some photos of the day. As mentioned there aren't many as rain meant I couldn't risk the camera. Winds I can take, persistent rain I can take, I just really hate walking in both as it defeats part of walking in my opinion - no stunning view, just murk.

© Dazza
« Last Edit: 23:31:56, 02/10/09 by Dazza »
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Thanks for this Dazza - shame about the weather, I think we're all getting a bit fed up of this hot, dry globally warmed summer.... er.... cool, wet, windy summer..

A good walk, though.....but Cutthroat Bridge?  Its a bit rough down there in the Peak innit?
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Dazza

• Veteran Member
I know. The weather this summer is just mental. If it's not persisting it down it's 30 degrees and too hot to go the pub never mind do 20 miles. *

This is why I prefer walking in Autumn, Winter and Spring.

Yup Cutthroat Bridge. Well at least you don't forget the name. Not quite as memorable though as the Devils [censored] in Derbyshire - named as it's always windy, if a sulfur bog was nearby as well it'd be a perfect description.

I don't have much leave left (holiday in the lakes booked and moving house took up most of it) but weather permitting we'll be getting some Fri and Sat walks in or Sun and Mon walks done. So there's still hope yet!

* It is never to hot to go the pub.
Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy