Author Topic: 8 Things I learned doing my first LDW (PW)  (Read 2587 times)

DanielSingleton

8 Things I learned doing my first LDW (PW)
« on: 00:43:07, 17/07/18 »

Last week, I finished walking the Pennine Way, my very first LDW, and whilst I am thrilled to have finally ticked off this long time bucket list item, it was certainly a baptism by fire.  Reflecting back I was more than a little naive in my expectations going into the challenge, and my inexperience made things tougher than they needed to be, however it was a great learning experience, and I am feeling massively more prepared and confident about future LDWs.  I figured it would be fun to share some of the things I learned over the course of walking my first LDW as a long distance newbie.  I am sure many of the more experienced walkers here have better insights and experiences they can also share that may help any other first timers avoid some of my mistakes.

1. I'm not superman!
My first, and possibly biggest mistake was overestimating my physical ability.  As I planned to camp the entire route I wrongly assumed I would need a very large backpack, so I went ahead and ordered an oversized 85 litre monstrosity.  The trouble was, was that once I had packed all my essentials into it (Tent, sleeping bag, food, change of clothes etc) I still had a bunch of space which I continued to fill with 'extras' (Camera, binoculars, portable solar panel, powerbank etc. I even took a tablet so that I could read or watch a film in my tent at night).  By the time I was done my backpack weighed in at 25kg.  Whilst the weight felt comfortable enough on my back in the living room at home, by the time I was halfway up Jacobs Ladder I knew I had made a huge mistake.  I made it as far as Standedge (Day 3), before I hopped on a bus home to (thankfully nearby) Rochdale.  I stripped down my kit to the bare essentials (and a much more manageable 14.5kg), then caught a bus back to Standedge the very next morning.

2. You do not need so much Food
This kind of ties into my previous point of carrying too much. I had originally packed 5 days worth of rations, but I quickly realised this was completely unnecessary.  Whilst I cannot speak for other LDW's, the PW is very well supplied along its whole length, the longest stretch without a shop or place to eat was Bryness to Kirk Yetholm right at the very end (About 27 miles).  I found I that I never really needed to carry more than a days worth of food, which again greatly cut down on the weight.

3.  Do not take water for granted.
Another of my mistakes was taking water for granted.  Whilst I may have been carrying too much food, I was carrying too little water, I set off on the PW with only a 1 litre water bottle and a small sawyer water filter and squeeze pouch.  I had looked through the maps prior to setting off and between all the reservoirs, rivers, streams and brooks, water seemed plentiful enough, and at any other time of the year it may well have been.  However I had not anticipated that I would be walking the PW during 3 of the hottest and driest weeks in recent memory, many of the smaller streams on my map were completely dried up, even some of the rivers were getting pretty low.  That 1 litre of water did not last long, especially sweating under the weight of an overly heavy rucksack on a scorching day.  I reached my first campsite very dehydrated, and bought several water bottles which I carried for the rest of the walk (Found myself walking with 3 litres minimum from the second day onward).

4.  Take a pair of Earplugs
I am a light sleeper and campsites can be quite noisy especially at the weekend, I have been kept awake by loud snoring, farm animals, drunken Geordies, loud music, and one night I even had a brawl break out outside my tent between a group of kids doing their Duke of Edinburgh.  A pair of good earplugs are one of the better purchases I made over the last few weeks.

5. Camaraderie between walkers
There seems to be a unique camaraderie between walkers, especially those doing the same LDW.  After a few days, you begin to notice the same faces popping up along the way, either on the trail or at the campsite at the end of the day.  These are people I would probably never have spoken too or even noticed on the street, but out here we are brothers and sisters in arms, and before long you are discussing your highlights and misadventures, comparing blisters and joking like old friends.    I met some truly colourful and interesting characters, and left with some fond memories.

6.  Trekking Poles
After damaging the ligaments in my ankle several years ago, I have lost a bit of ankle stability and I am now prone to rolling/spraining my ankle as a consequence, considering the weight I would be carrying on my back, and the very uneven and sometimes unstable ground in places on the PW, this was a nagging concern.  A friend recommended trekking poles, and boy were they worth their weight in gold.  On several occasions I rolled my ankle or lost my footing, but was able to save myself from injury by letting the poles take my weight.  Not only that, but they made going uphill so much faster and easier, whilst using them to go down hill took a lot of the strain off the knees resulting in less aches and pains the following morning.  I had never used poles prior to the PW, but I have certainly become a convert.

7.  Be prepared for blisters
I have always worked physical outdoor jobs and I am accustomed to being on my feet for long periods of time.  The skin on the soles of my feet is very thick and tough, and I have not experienced blisters in many many years, I thought I was pretty much immune at this point... I was wrong.  It took a few days, but I soon had some pretty big blisters forming on the very tips of my toes (I had never seen, or heard of people getting blisters there, I assume it was due to all the ascent on those hills).  Anyway it was Hawes before I managed to pick up any blister plasters (I also invested in a pair of 1000 miles socks).  Now that I know that I am not as blister resistant as I thought, I'd definitely carry a blister kit in future.

8.  The Grouse WILL give me a heart attack one of these days
In almost 3 week, nothing scared the life out of me quite like those sneaky black grouse.  They will sit quietly, hidden away in a carpet of heather, waiting.. watching... as you draw ever closer, completely oblivious to the imminent danger.  Closer and closer you will get, until you are virtually on top of it, then, and only then will it make its move, bursting suddenly from its hiding spot, a blur of shrieking warbling feathers, like some kind of horrible jack in the box, as you jump out of your skin, heart skipping a beat as you desperately try not to trip over yourself.  I have lost count of how many grouse startled me, but it was surprisingly often.

DanielSingleton

Re: 8 Things I learned doing my first LDW (PW)
« Reply #1 on: 00:46:31, 17/07/18 »
Double post - deleted

alan de enfield

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:40:03, 17/07/18 »

Great post and reinforces the fact that knowledge is learned by experience.

I have always said that you can tell folks the 'truth as you know it', give advice and suggestions but they will never 'learn it 'except by doing it themselves.

It is normal to 'over pack' clothing, you don't need a great deal and can 'wash thru' your 'smalls' in an evening and they are dry by morning, again, consider the time of year, the current conditions, the location and availability of shops on route. Does it matter if your trousers are muddy ?

Survival experts apply the "rule of threes" as to what you need to survive. The saying is :
You can survive about 3 weeks without food, three days without water, three hours without shelter and three minutes without air"

Obviously the above is just a 'reminder' and very much depends on conditions - a nice Summers night in the lowlands and you probably don't need shelter, the middle of Winter in the Highlands and you definitely do. Weather as we have been having and you need water every hour.

Simply pack what you NEED not what you think you may WANT.

Well done on your PW achievement.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:55:16, 17/07/18 »
You bring back painful memories.
For me the post office at Marsden was my chance at pack reduction.
Bleeding grouse. No wonder folks go out shooting them.
Blisters on front of toes sounds as if boots just a wee bit too close a fitting. Toes banging off front of boots, swollen feet after a number of long days, hard skin, four things together are a classic cause of blisters and skinning.
The elation of completing the first major LDW, Carlsberg have never made a beer for that yet.
What's next?
Too little, too late, too bad......

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:41:12, 17/07/18 »
Congrats on your achievement, Daniel, and thanks for sharing what you learned with us. It is the most entertaining post I have read on here for some time, and there is a lot of good advice in it.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:55:34, 17/07/18 »
Well done Daniel, I enjoyed your read. I too made mistakes, especailly with water. I loved certain stretches of the hike and hated others, did you? For me the worst section was from a couple of miles south of Middleton in Teesdale until I walked though the tunnel under the main road. No idea why I hated it, I think my mood was just not right that day. For some reason or other, if its still there, the bus stop in Garfield was so welcoming. On that day the sun was shining, I had food and water and I was ravenous. I still remember my 'picnic' with great pleasure and then afterwards I had an afternnoon sleep.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:05:23, 17/07/18 »
Great post Daniel and some good advice very entertainingly put!

Grouse have caused me more than one heart in mouth moment - I think they are the only creature more stupid than sheep.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:32:24, 17/07/18 »
Grouse have caused me more than one heart in mouth moment - I think they are the only creature more stupid than sheep.

Couple pheasants with grouse, they are equally scary when they fly like banshees from under your feet.
And add car doors slamming to the list of campsite annoyances; some models appear to have about twelve doors.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:55:32, 17/07/18 »
Well done on doing the PW. I last did it in 2017 and even though I mainly b&b'd I did plan to wild camp for 3 nights, simply because there weren't b& b's in the right place to suit my plan.  I started off carrying 17kgs I think, which reduced to 14 after I'd eaten all the food I was carrying, which was self heating meals thus saving weight of cooker etc.

Carrying 25kg would probably have killed me, so your point 1 is so true!

Where there's a will ...

DanielSingleton

« Reply #9 on: 14:07:46, 17/07/18 »

Thank you for the kind words and congratulations everyone, it was certainly an experience.

What's next?

It is going to be a while before I have the time to commit to something like this again, but the both the Coast too Coast and the West Highland Way are appealing contenders for next summers adventure. 

I loved certain stretches of the hike and hated others, did you? For me the worst section was from a couple of miles south of Middleton in Teesdale until I walked though the tunnel under the main road. No idea why I hated it, I think my mood was just not right that day.

I know the spot you are talking about, that is just before Gods Bridge right? I actually stopped to take a photo there at the bridge to highlight my point on lack of water, the river Greta was almost completely dry! And yes I hated several stretches, and loved others. 

I thought Middleton in Teesdale to Dufton was glorious, whilst I didn't really feel Pen-Y-Ghent, although I think that was more to do with the crowds or rather the pace I was slowed down too, than the hill itself (I'd already missed my campsite the night before, and had some extra ground to cover that day).  I did not realise just how popular the 3 peaks were on a weekend.  I knew something was going on, because from as far away as Fountains Fell I could see the flashes of reflected light coming from cameras and phones, but as I drew nearer I could start to make out a dense throng of people all the way from the top to the bottom, after an hour or so of walking I reached the base of Pen-Y-Ghent and the queue was still the whole length of the hill, with more and more people turning up by the second.  I do not know how many people were on the hills that day, but I would not be surprised if it had been in the high hundreds if not thousands.  I arrived in Hawes very late and very tired that night.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 14:49:25, 17/07/18 »
With regard to 'that' tree on Hadrian's Wall, the one used in the film Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, anybody taking photos of it? The last time I walked by it a coach load or tourists were there snappy away like crazy!

DanielSingleton

« Reply #11 on: 15:00:19, 17/07/18 »
With regard to 'that' tree on Hadrian's Wall, the one used in the film Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, anybody taking photos of it? The last time I walked by it a coach load or tourists were there snappy away like crazy!

I actually stayed at the Hostel in Twice Brewed the night before and set off very early the next day, so I actually missed the tourists.  I am guilty of stopping to take a quick snap of the tree however...  ;D

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 15:09:53, 17/07/18 »
Re God's Bridge.  It is not unusual for that section of the Greta to be dry especially in summer - it only runs at the wettest time of the year. Most of the time it runs underground in the stream bed and reappears some distance downstream.
As an aside, the landowners have created a network of paths by the river just downstream of Gods Bridge which make an easy walk down to the footbridge over the Greta into Bowes via the castle if you need a resupply/pint of beer. An alternate PW continues north from Bowes over the A66 to rejoin the PW via Goldsborough.
Solvitur Ambulando

Zizag

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 16:35:43, 17/07/18 »
Well done D'S  :)
super effort under the circumstances .
You overcame all the adversity and problems that occurred .
Your finding and shortfalls Im sure has happened to most of us doing a LDW

You have been frank and open about your trials and tribulations .
All of us have overloaded overpacked and used to big of rucksacks.
It's all a learning curve . Some of us learn quicker than others .
Just put It down to experience .
There is a vast Experience in the Forum who are there to help with advice .
I was not easy what you did .
But next time .
Try and trim down your pack weigh ,Think in grams and It will save you Kilos .
I can only wish you all the best for your next walks hikes treks
treat then all as adventures .

Regards Zizag  8) :-[ :-X :-\ O0

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:58:40, 17/07/18 »
4.  Take a pair of Earplugs
I have been kept awake by drunken Geordies

I would like to point out I was nowhere near you  :D

I enjoyed reading your post Daniel. Congratulations on doing the PW and I do hope you had nice views in the Cheviots.

We don't do LDW's as such, mostly one nighters with the odd few longer treks now and again but the principle of taking as little as possible but making sure you have what you do need is the same with your pack whether it is for one night or 3 or 5 or more nights.

The water or lack of it is becoming a problem in the Lakes too, the becks and gills are drying up. It does make you appreciate how lucky we are normally with plenty of water sources.
Hate will never win

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy