Author Topic: quiet in ireland  (Read 9332 times)

yeti

• Veteran Member
Re: quiet in ireland
« Reply #15 on: 08:22:22, 30/07/11 »
Yes, great idea Catbells.

I think a particularly interesting walk would be around the Jamesons distillery  :D .

GP, I agree that walking there is sometimes difficult, look what happened to me there once. I went on a cultural visit, enjoyed some of that very fine Jamesons and my legs refused to work?  The local dogs did ok though  O0

Is that a brown paper bag? You'll be getting a reputation as a drunkard ;D . You also seem to have lost your tin whistle :D .
R.I.P. Dave.

lovinit

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 19:08:43, 31/07/11 »
I sold it to Jon O'Bon Jovi  ;)
No one can go back in time & make a brand new beginning, but anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending.

swampy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 19:33:38, 31/07/11 »
Yes, great idea Catbells.

I think a particularly interesting walk would be around the Jamesons distillery  :D .

Yes defo!!!!!! O0 O0
In it for the socials

Mountaingirl

« Reply #18 on: 21:16:09, 11/01/12 »
I'm thiking where to go for walking holiday this year ..it's high time I went to Ireland  ::) . I have been putting it off cos the weather puts me off :-\ especially I love to head to mountains where rain is more likely to fall.
Anyway, not much I can do with the weather.
Can anybody advise if it's possible to walk without own transport?  I woudn't drive all the way from East of England to Ireland. However, I found it was very difficult to do the walks I would have liked in Scotland when I depended on public transports.  I don't camp  :( .
would be good if somebody can organise a meet there O0

walkerontour

« Reply #19 on: 06:12:08, 27/01/12 »
You could easily fly to Cork and get a bus down to the beautiful Sheep's Head.

Info from website.....http://www.thesheepsheadway.ie/index.cfm/page/home [nofollow]

The Sheeps Head Way is a 150km walking route located on the narrow Sheeps Head peninsula in West Cork between Bantry Bay and Dunmanus Bay.  The route also extends eastwards from Bantry to Drimoleague and Gougane Barra offering further walking opportunities in the region.   

The narrowness of the peninsula means that you are never far from the glorious Atlantic Ocean, even on the outward stretch when you climb to the route's highest point, 300 metres above sea level, on the heathery Seefin ridge.  The terrain is very varied and includes old boreens, open grassy and heathery hill, rock, field paths, quiet roads and some short stretches of woodland path.  The aggregate asccent over the whole route is 2,460m, which includes a few long ascents.  In good weather those who like the uplands can extend the ridge section of the route, or use a number of alternative loops. 

The remains of an old copper mine, a blow hole, stone circles, standing stones, high  cliffs, a Napoleonic signal tower and old churches are some of the varied attractions to be discovered along the way.  Patience may be rewarded by the sightings of dolphins and whales off the westernmost tip of the headland.  Here too is the Sheeps Head lighthouse.

The colourful villages of Kilcrohane, Ahakista and Durrus en route provide refreshments and accomodation. When we went we stayed in self catering accomodation which was within walking distance to the walking routes...http://www.ahakistaholidayhome.com/Home.html [nofollow]

Enjoy,
MP

Mountaingirl

« Reply #20 on: 20:55:40, 05/02/12 »
Thanks for the suggestion, MP..I thought I reponded sooner but not there ???

I am aiming to go to mountains, but it would be nice to include a bit of costal scene, wonder if it's less wet  ::) .  It's not far from where I am heading to...Killerney

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:42:39, 05/02/12 »
  It's not far from where I am heading to...Killerney

Eyup MG  :)

If you are off to Killarney then try and take in some of the coast around Dingle too - Mount Brandon is out that way not far from Dingle and has cracking views over that stretch of coastline. Try the Saints Road route to the summit - it is well waymarked with small white crosses. Here's a photo of the shrine at the start of the path -

I have a couple more pics somewhere and will post em when I find em.
I prefer the folly of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom. (Anatole France)

beara man

« Reply #22 on: 21:51:06, 05/02/12 »
I know I am biased but living out on the beautiful Beara Peninsula i can heartily rec comend it to anyone looking for a true Irish experience.
As well as the main Beara Way there are also plenty of loop walks to be enjoyed for all abilities.
For more information check out our web site at Dromagowlane House where there is a link on the walking section to the loop walks.

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 22:04:24, 06/02/12 »
I'm thiking where to go for walking holiday this year ..it's high time I went to Ireland  ::) .
Can anybody advise if it's possible to walk without own transport?  I woudn't drive all the way from East of England to Ireland.

Hire a car in the Republic. We travelled over to Killarney and back by train (the fare included the ferry - Holyhead to Dublin), hired a car in Killarney and stayed B&B in Ventry (near Dingle) and in Killarney. Bit of a long journey, but an interesting one  :) . You could of course fly to Cork or Kerry and hire a car there.

As mentioned above, Mount Brandon is a good one to take in based at Dingle - up by the Saints Road and back down the North ridge via Masatiompan to pick up the Dingle Way. Couple more photos here of the descent and the views (we were up in the cloud for most of the day so these were taken well down the descent route). Apologies for the quality, but they are scanned, as the trip to Ireland was before digital cameras came my way.

Can't remember now if this summit shot was from Mount Brandon or Carrauntuohill - if you do go, have a look and let me know  ;)

Talking about Carrauntuohill, couple of pics from there. Again not many shots cos it was a claggy wet day. We went up and down via Hags Glenn and the Devils Ladder (see first photo, Devils Ladder goes up to the col at the top right of the picture) - not the most pleasant climb and descent. Second photo shows one of the other ridges (can't remember which one) that could be used for an airy scramble to the summit. Would like to go back one day.

Don't forget to take a drive around the Ring of Kerry - stunning scenery. And I would agree with mendipman's comments about the people - very friendly and welcoming. Don't forget to stick a TR up with pics  O0
I prefer the folly of enthusiasm to the indifference of wisdom. (Anatole France)

gotmeheadshaved

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 23:07:00, 06/02/12 »
Perhaps a meet could be arranged one day?

I have been thinking this myself. Ireland has so much stunning scenery. The recent Great British Railway Journeys 'Goes to Ireland' with Michael Portillo was fascinating and included some remarkable scenic views along the coast from Dublin to Belfast and to Derry/Londonderry.

Personally I would love to do this, the highest mountain in Ireland!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrauntoohil

Steve
« Last Edit: 17:11:20, 07/02/12 by gotmeheadshaved »
Steve (gotmeheadshaved)

'Brothers, what we do in life, echoes in eternity'

Mountaingirl

« Reply #25 on: 20:35:38, 10/02/12 »
I'm spoilt for choice ::)   as well as mountains, there seem some lovely coastal scenes.
after all, it's all down to accessibility by public transport from...youth hostels I would be staying, since I'm going solo...unless somebody organises a meet ;) . I wouldn't like driving outside UK....Do they drive on which side of the road in Rep of Ireland?  :-\

One F in Foreigner

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 21:36:29, 10/02/12 »
....Do they drive on which side of the road in Rep of Ireland?  :-\

They drive on the left, so no problem there.  8)

Highs and Lows

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 23:56:32, 09/03/12 »
I did 2 weeks in Ireland in summer 2007, starting off in the North with a trek through the Mourne Mountains, then a coastal walk along the Antrim coast - passing by the Giant's Causeway.

I took a bus from Derry to Galway, then went to Clifden in Connemara and did a walk in the 12 Bens. Travelled via Galway to Killarney and from there walked to the Black Valley hostel (which is on the Kerry Way). I did the Reek's ridge and Carrauntoohil from the hostel (a magnificent walk), then continued along the Kerry Way as far as Glenbeigh.

You can get to the mountains in Ireland by public transport with use of the timetables/schedules and a fair bit of  patience!
I didn't find the mountains - the mountains found me

https://www.flickr.com/photos/some_photos_by_jim

Highs and Lows

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 17:54:55, 11/03/12 »
This thread has got me reminiscing a bit, so I have uploaded a few photos and done a little bit of a write-up on my blog.

http://www.mountains-treks-and-other-stuff.blogspot.com/2012/03/ireland-2007.html
I didn't find the mountains - the mountains found me

https://www.flickr.com/photos/some_photos_by_jim

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy