Author Topic: Maps and Walking in New Zealand  (Read 4414 times)

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: Maps and Walking in New Zealand
« Reply #15 on: 19:38:49, 25/10/19 »
Just a reminder.  Anyone visiting NZ from UK now requires a tourist visa as of 1 Oct 19.  Cheapest route is through the NZeTA app.  Internet applications are significantly more expensive.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 23:57:36, 25/10/19 »
Visas for our trip all sorted.  We had our big paper map out on the lounge floor this evening plotting out the second half of our visit.  The North island.  Jess the cat likes to help too.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 01:47:28, 26/10/19 »
We are somewhere just south of your cat’s left ear at the moment in Rotorua. Heading up for a few days in a bach by the sea at Waihi Beach next week.  Local knowledge says the ski slopes should still be open.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 10:14:10, 26/10/19 »
We are somewhere just south of your cat’s left ear at the moment in Rotorua. Heading up for a few days in a bach by the sea at Waihi Beach next week.  Local knowledge says the ski slopes should still be open.

Our son was there just last week. He took a week off and explored the Coromandel National Park area. Some amazing spots.  O0

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 11:32:34, 26/10/19 »
Great rugby match this morning too.

And the the best team won. O0

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 15:22:26, 26/10/19 »
Great rugby match this morning too.

And the the best team won. O0
That was the grudging consensus here too.  Next weekend we are staying on the in-laws’ farm and the plan was to drive to the nearest bar and watch the final there.  I think that plan is on hold now  :)
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 04:23:24, 01/11/19 »
Just for info Buzy, if you are thinking of climbing Mount Taranaki. The last snow fell there a week ago and from what I could make out through the clouds today, there is still plenty of snow cover high up. My guess is it would need special equipment at present.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 12:37:09, 01/11/19 »
Just for info Buzy, if you are thinking of climbing Mount Taranaki. The last snow fell there a week ago and from what I could make out through the clouds today, there is still plenty of snow cover high up. My guess is it would need special equipment at present.

Yes I have been chatting with the ski resort desk.  I plan to bring my own crampons and axe. My feet are large and I know the standard 160mm crampon bars do not fit my boots.  Edd hired some when he did the mount doom crossing a month or so back.  I am just hoping we get a crack at it.Lots  of cloud and fog the past few weeks up there, as the snow has melted.

Have you fitted any more walks in on this trip?
« Last Edit: 12:41:34, 01/11/19 by BuzyG »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 06:00:00, 02/11/19 »

Yes I have been chatting with the ski resort desk.  I plan to bring my own crampons and axe. My feet are large and I know the standard 160mm crampon bars do not fit my boots.  Edd hired some when he did the mount doom crossing a month or so back.  I am just hoping we get a crack at it.Lots  of cloud and fog the past few weeks up there, as the snow has melted.

Have you fitted any more walks in on this trip?
This was it today.  I am told February is the best month.  We went walking in the forest on the slopes today.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 10:20:06, 02/11/19 »
Great picture. Is that Taranaki?    If so that is plan B.  I have looked up a number of lower level walks in that area and will hopefully get to try one or two with Mrs G and Edd.

Plan A is the summit peek of Mt Ruapehu, Tahurangi 2797m via skyline ridge. Just Edd and I for that one and weather dependent. A day like you have there would certainly be a go.

Edd has applied for an extension on his visa. Can't say I blame him.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 10:39:29, 02/11/19 »
That was Taranaki at 0730 this morning. It clouded over mid morning then cleared later. It is a common pattern requiring an early start for good summit conditions. We were helping out with a team for the Round the Mountain Relay - a 150 km race.  My son ran 2 legs and daughter-in-law walked one. In between we went up the north side to the tree line for a wander round.
Solvitur Ambulando

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 07:44:05, 03/11/19 »
Great picture. Is that Taranaki?    If so that is plan B.  I have looked up a number of lower level walks in that area and will hopefully get to try one or two with Mrs G and Edd.

Plan A is the summit peek of Mt Ruapehu, Tahurangi 2797m via skyline ridge. Just Edd and I for that one and weather dependent. A day like you have there would certainly be a go.

Edd has applied for an extension on his visa. Can't say I blame him.
I passed some distance N of your Plan A today on SH41. This is what it looked like from the Waituhi Lookout.  Ruapehu is the one on the right, the cone on the left is Mout Doom (Ngauruhoe).  SH4 through National Park was signed as shut.  On the other hand, forecast high for Rotorua tomorrow is 29, today it hit 28 so it may thaw quickly
« Last Edit: 07:51:12, 03/11/19 by ninthace »
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 21:46:24, 03/11/19 »
Wow, what a view.

I am watching the forecast here.

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Ruapehu/forecasts/2796

Not the same as being there though.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 09:35:56, 04/11/19 »
That picture of Ruapehu was taken from 46km away using only a 4x zoom on my phone.  It is big!
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 20:38:24, 13/11/19 »
So the adventure begins tomorrow.  :) 

It's the first time since starting work 40+  years ago that I have had more than a few weeks off at once.  Blame good health and full employment for that one.  Any way I am very much looking forward to it, as is Mrs G.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy