Author Topic: I know its in the Sun but maybe worth a read  (Read 965 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
I know its in the Sun but maybe worth a read
« on: 09:43:17, 11/05/19 »
As I trolled through the online morning newspapers I saw this.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9050296/plague-ticks-lyme-disease-england/

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: I know its in the Sun but maybe worth a read
« Reply #1 on: 10:06:23, 11/05/19 »
As if my tick phobia wasn't bad enough .
Thanks for this >:(
Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:42:55, 11/05/19 »
And this is news?  My personal best is picking up 6 ticks in less than 10 feet of walking - Exmoor admittedly.
Solvitur Ambulando

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:14:43, 12/05/19 »
Ive run, walked and camped for over 60 years and often wear shorts in the Summer and never picked up a single Tick. I do follow the Tick checking routine at regular intervals just to make sure, but, no, not a one to date.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:25:19, 12/05/19 »
I met a group of ramblers on Exmoor. I could tell because of the socks over the trousers. One of them did explain that it was to prevent picking up ticks. I wasn’t wholly convinced as I would have thought woolly socks would be ideal for picking up ticks, They were all sitting on the grass at the time too. Fortunately, ticks let you come to them otherwise sitting on the grass on Exmoor would be like ringing the dinner gong for ticks.
I prefer gaiters in heavy tick country, makes it easier to spot the blighters and gives them further to walk. Apart from regular tick checks, I would recommend a shower as soon as possible after a walk. It is a chance for a thorough inspection and to wash them off before they get hold.  There has been more than one occasion I have seen a little black dot heading for the plug hole.
My other unfavourite beastie is the Harvest Mite, I seem to be really sensitive to them.  You can’t see see them but they really itch. They really hate a piping hot soapy shower too!
Solvitur Ambulando

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 17:21:06, 12/05/19 »
Never seen a tick in my long life, never had a dog with ticks,  but I do have a friend who got Lymes disease.  I would never wish that on anyone,  hence my paranoia.Gaiters and long socks and usually long trousers, though if it is raining heavily  I do tend to take off the zip off portions as skin tends to dry quicker than cloth. Must look horrific, shorts and gaiters but I never look at myself so who cares.
Too little, too late, too bad......

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:00:27, 12/05/19 »
Hate ticks, who doesn't .  Long trousers and gaiters all year around. O0

Pitboot

« Reply #7 on: 21:01:07, 13/05/19 »
I 've had my share of ticks, counted and removed 18 after one patrol in Belize, some of the boys had more.
I've never had an adverse reaction, I have never met or known anyone who's had Lyme disease either.
 I've swum in rivers and crossed swamps, and never got Weil's disease.
These "risks" make great headlines for the media who are generally uninformed as to the likelihood or chance of it striking. Obviously it's bad luck if you get caught out and it never hurts to take sensible precautions. 
For the record I have never caught malaria, been struck by lightning, bitten by a shark, or stabbed by a lunatic, maybe I should get out more!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy