Author Topic: Highland clearance - please help  (Read 2389 times)

jj99

Highland clearance - please help
« on: 14:59:23, 10/04/17 »
Some of you will almost certainly have heard of Laggan Stores Coffee Bothy in the Highlands. PH20 1AH. http://lagganstores.co.uk/.

The family that run the place are close to being kicked out of the country back to Canada.

The long and short of their saga is that faceless bumbling British bureaucrats are deporting them and stripping a village and walkers of a community asset.

This article Highland Clearances from the respected journalist Craig Murray explains the situation better I can.

There was a petition started on their behalf some months ago.
It needs to hit 10,000 signatures by May 4. It might be a tall order to hit that goal, but if you don't try .. etc

If having read their story you feel able and willing to support them please sign the petition.
 And if you feel strongly enough pass on the link to other people on other forums.
 At 10,000 signatures the government has to respond to the petition.

Cheers

My interest in this place boils down to having visited the stores and experienced what a cracking place it is.

The way this family has been treated is shoddy and heartless.

cheers

toadoftoadhall

Re: Highland clearance - please help
« Reply #1 on: 19:25:37, 10/04/17 »
signed

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 20:26:57, 10/04/17 »
+1
Solvitur Ambulando

John Walker

« Reply #3 on: 21:31:19, 10/04/17 »
+1

but still a long way to go.  Will promote the petition to my modest number of Facebook friends...

Best wishes to the Zielsdorf family.
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 11:00:32, 11/04/17 »
+1

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:35:59, 11/04/17 »
Ive just added mine, but with over 500 votes, it will be a tall order to reach 10,000.
Come on everyone on this forum, what ever your opinions or lack of them, it takes less than a minute to add your support just imagine if it was your family being kicked out, probably to now fault of their own.
« Last Edit: 13:49:43, 11/04/17 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:05:02, 11/04/17 »
Just signed

toadoftoadhall

« Reply #8 on: 16:21:58, 11/04/17 »
I dont think the title helps, I thought it was tree clearance or something.

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:42:19, 11/04/17 »
I know this family and it's terrible that they face being deported back to Canada. They have built up a great business and have become well integrated into the local community. They provide a first class service and employ local folk in an area where local jobs are hard to come by. Please help............Thanks, Sparnel

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:52:28, 12/04/17 »
What is the reason for their eviction.
We all know that Scotland has different laws and legal terminology to the rest of the UK, but unless their lease has come to an end, and the business owner wants them out, surely a successful business serving a community cannot be just kicked out.
The cruel highland clearances of the 19C hopefully is part of a bygone age, where the local English Laird could evict their workers tied to their land at any given moment.
What legal protection does this family have ?

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 11:31:20, 12/04/17 »
Its an immigration issue - they're Canadians with no legal right to remain in Britain. UK Law is being applied and its not an issue for the Scottish government. I've signed anyway because the immigration laws are generally being applied in a mindless and brutal manner with no apparent discretion - and the service they provide is important to the local economy and to eejits like me who might wander across the Monadhliath Mountains from time to time  It seems that really, its a bad law being applied rigorously under government instruction. There's lots of other similar cases like this recently - people who've lived here for years and years and have good jobs and kids at school etc etc. Maybe there's been a change in the application of these rules to appease the right-wing Daily Mail and Sun reader thickies  who want to ban all immigration. What these people really want to target, though is probably not Canadians, Australians or Kiwis, but people from more exotic ex-territories of the British Empire... if you catch my drift...
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Steve922

« Reply #12 on: 19:01:57, 13/04/17 »
I visited this shop a few times during my winter holiday in Laggan. I don't recall meeting a nicer family and one who are a massive asset to the area and indeed, Scotland and the UK.    It is disgusting that such a nice, respectful, helpful, God-Fearing family are being deported.
    Worse still, they will be deported very soon without having had the chance to sell their assets - that being the Laggan Stores Coffee Bothy.
    I hope something will happen to help them stay here.

Scrambledlegs

« Reply #13 on: 13:42:30, 03/05/17 »
I just went on to sign and it has been closed on may 3rd Grrrr!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy