Author Topic: Transport to Brecons from Crickhowell  (Read 2034 times)

love2trek

Transport to Brecons from Crickhowell
« on: 00:44:24, 05/07/17 »
Greetings!  I am seeking information on transport from Crickhowell to hiking areas in Brecons.  I am not familiar with the area, and would like to know how far it is to get into some good day hikes.  I plan on commuting back and forth,  so is a bus or some  sort of public transport feasible?   As much as I try, I get confused with the names of the areas, and will probably continue to do so until I actually experience them, so please be kind.   ;)
I really appreciate  any info.  Thank you.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: Transport to Brecons from Crickhowell
« Reply #1 on: 05:58:57, 05/07/17 »
Can't help with transport as I always drive there but note it's either Brecon or the Brecon Beacons but never Brecons  O0
Where there's a will ...

Oldtramp

« Reply #2 on: 08:15:15, 05/07/17 »
Try https://bustimes.org.uk/services/PWBX043

It's the Brecon Abergavenny service.  There's a rail station at Abergavenny and it goes thru' Crickhowell.

Alternatively there's a bus to Brecon from Cardiff that passes Merthyr Tydfil station and a rare bus from Swansea.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 10:04:58, 05/07/17 »
If there isn't a bus, I don't hang around, I just hitchhike. Worked a treat for me a couple of weeks ago. I got to within 8 miles of my starting point by train and bus, nothing else available other than to be 'polite' and walk, or to hitch. I hitched, 3 cars later (2 minutes waiting time) and a young woman receptionist from the local GP service stopped and took me straight to my chosen camp site.

Ventasilurum

« Reply #4 on: 11:17:51, 05/07/17 »
depends on how far you plan to walk each day....there are plenty of walks from Crickhowell itself. Other than that bus is the main option as stated earlier

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 19:20:19, 05/07/17 »
Can't help with transport as I always drive there but note it's either Brecon or the Brecon Beacons but never Brecons  O0
Absolutely, never ever called by that word, always shortened to the Beacons  O0
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 19:22:04, 05/07/17 »
Greetings!  I am seeking information on transport from Crickhowell to hiking areas in Brecons.  I am not familiar with the area, and would like to know how far it is to get into some good day hikes.  I plan on commuting back and forth,  so is a bus or some  sort of public transport feasible?   As much as I try, I get confused with the names of the areas, and will probably continue to do so until I actually experience them, so please be kind.   ;)
I really appreciate  any info.  Thank you.
Based in Crickhowell why bother with the central beacons at all, there are great walks from the car park in Crickhowell itself, no need to travel.

Ventasilurum

« Reply #7 on: 20:42:14, 05/07/17 »
Based in Crickhowell why bother with the central beacons at all, there are great walks from the car park in Crickhowell itself, no need to travel.

absolutely...best walk in the National Park being the llanbedr horseshoe walk

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:17:22, 05/07/17 »

absolutely...best walk in the National Park being the llanbedr horseshoe walk
It depends on how you would define Llanbedr horseshoe, many many variations on walks here, but my favourite and a classic would go from the hairpin bend near Neuadd Fawr farm, then Table Mountain, Pen Cerrig - calch, Pen Allt Mawr, Pen Twyn Glas, Mynydd Llysiau, then turn hairpin right (south) down Macnamaras road and either past the Hermitage and a road walk back, or better still take the path well before the bridge on the right

love2trek

« Reply #9 on: 23:48:22, 05/07/17 »
Thank you so much.  The info is really appreciated.  I think I now have it.  I was mixing the two words. Thanks for your patience. 
Maybe I will run into some of you on the trails.  Very much looking forward to it.  I have stayed in Crickhowell during Christmas, but it was dark very early.  Hopefully will make it farther into Beacons this time.

Ventasilurum

« Reply #10 on: 22:57:58, 06/07/17 »
It depends on how you would define Llanbedr horseshoe, many many variations on walks here, but my favourite and a classic would go from the hairpin bend near Neuadd Fawr farm, then Table Mountain, Pen Cerrig - calch, Pen Allt Mawr, Pen Twyn Glas, Mynydd Llysiau, then turn hairpin right (south) down Macnamaras road and either past the Hermitage and a road walk back, or better still take the path well before the bridge on the right

here's a report on my favoured route

https://backpackbrewer.wordpress.com/2011/05/24/black-mountain-horseshoe-a-classic-walk/ [nofollow]

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 06:02:09, 07/07/17 »

here's a report on my favoured route

https://backpackbrewer.wordpress.com/2011/05/24/black-mountain-horseshoe-a-classic-walk/
Personally I would skip Waun Fach, although it's much better now there a proper (if manufactured) path.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy