Author Topic: How many hoodie types of clothing do you own?  (Read 799 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
How many hoodie types of clothing do you own?
« on: 13:52:56, 11/10/19 »
My son and daughter in law have offered to buy me a Rab Summit jacket which I thought at first was a really great item to have in my hiking wardrobe.

We all dress differently and have all sorts of combinations of clothing to wear I'm sure but I've now had second thoughts about the Rab and have told them to "hold off on that purchase!"

I want and need a hood on my wet weather jacket and on my poncho and I want and need a hood on my windproof lightweight jacket but do I really want another hoodie item, even a Rab one? In my case, NO!

In the winter I use a peaked Lowe Alpine hat and I have a beanie as well should I need it. In the summer I have a wide-brimmed summer hat and the beanie again if I need it. So at the moment, I'm now looking for a down jacket without a hood!

ninthace

• Veteran Member
Re: How many hoodie types of clothing do you own?
« Reply #1 on: 14:10:43, 11/10/19 »
My son and daughter in law have offered to buy me a Rab Summit jacket which I thought at first was a really great item to have in my hiking wardrobe.

We all dress differently and have all sorts of combinations of clothing to wear I'm sure but I've now had second thoughts about the Rab and have told them to "hold off on that purchase!"

I want and need a hood on my wet weather jacket and on my poncho and I want and need a hood on my windproof lightweight jacket but do I really want another hoodie item, even a Rab one? In my case, NO!

In the winter I use a peaked Lowe Alpine hat and I have a beanie as well should I need it. In the summer I have a wide-brimmed summer hat and the beanie again if I need it. So at the moment, I'm now looking for a down jacket without a hood!
  Can you not get a jacket with a stowable or removable hood?  Then you would have an emergency hood, as it were, if needed and still meet your normal headgear requirements.  I have been known to wear a hood over my Tilley in extremis.
By the by, in the aviation world, beanies are known as pundit's hats as they are favoured by instructors to keep the sun off while aviating.
Solvitur Ambulando

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 14:14:59, 11/10/19 »
I'd be happy with a removable hood, seems a sensible idea.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:39:55, 11/10/19 »
I bought a cheap windproof jacket from Decathlon last year, £14.99, I use it when I go running. It works very well but the hood on it has no means to tighten it around the face. In the colder months, I tuck the hood inside at the back of my neck, in the warm months when I've finished a run and I'm perspiring and if it's windy, I just put my coat on, pull the hood up and turn to face the wind. The hood then fills with air which then funnels down inside the jacket around torso area and I dry ever so quickly, like being in a wind tunnel.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:33:01, 11/10/19 »
I hate hoods  >:(   Pointless, flappy bits of material  >:(

Nowt but a waterproof jacket should have them  O0

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy